The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

American Cancer Society helping with Melanoma research/patients?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community American Cancer Society helping with Melanoma research/patients?

Participant

Our family is walking in the ACS Relay for Life in May, in honor of my battle with stage 4 thyroid cancer and our 15 year old son's current battle with melanoma. Do any of you have any info/statistics/personal stories on how ACS has aided melanoma research or patients? I would like to have some melanoma-related info to share with friends when asking if they would like to contribute. Thank you in advance!

Our family is walking in the ACS Relay for Life in May, in honor of my battle with stage 4 thyroid cancer and our 15 year old son's current battle with melanoma. Do any of you have any info/statistics/personal stories on how ACS has aided melanoma research or patients? I would like to have some melanoma-related info to share with friends when asking if they would like to contribute. Thank you in advance!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
          Melanoma Mom
          Participant

That article is 11 years old ….. 

To reiterate, I am looking for information/personal stories about how the ACS has helped melanoma patients. I am not looking for negative information regarding the association.

Never mind, I'll just use my own personal experiences. I have plenty with ACS. 

Melanoma Mom
            Participant

That article is 11 years old ….. 

To reiterate, I am looking for information/personal stories about how the ACS has helped melanoma patients. I am not looking for negative information regarding the association.

Never mind, I'll just use my own personal experiences. I have plenty with ACS. 

MariaH
            Participant

I think it's great that you're walking, as my son did a walk recently in our hometown in honor of his Dad.  When Dave was going for infusion, they reimbursed our mileage for each visit.  It wasn't alot, but every penny helped with him out of work and me working part time.  Even better than that was just having the person on the other end of the line understanding how lost you are after a diagnosis of any type of cancer.

Good luck with the walk!!

MariaH
              Participant

I think it's great that you're walking, as my son did a walk recently in our hometown in honor of his Dad.  When Dave was going for infusion, they reimbursed our mileage for each visit.  It wasn't alot, but every penny helped with him out of work and me working part time.  Even better than that was just having the person on the other end of the line understanding how lost you are after a diagnosis of any type of cancer.

Good luck with the walk!!

Jerry from Cape Cod
                Participant

IMHO.  The ACS does not spend any significant time/money on Melanoma.  The most significant funding of melanoma research and paitent family care comes from other sources.  The ACS has other high visibility causes that they center on.

I'm not slamming the organization because I think it's great in it's mission,  i've even walked the relay.

Also, to my knowledge the ACS has not issued statements prohibiting the Tanning Booth industry from participating in the relays and other fund raisers as sponsors/vendors.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Gene_S
                    Participant

"Follow The Money"….

see: 

about the American Cancer Society.

Gene
                      Ranisa
                      Participant

That video made me sick….or maybe it was the comments below it.

I hope that the weather is good for the walk!  What a great thing to do!

Ranisa
                        Participant

That video made me sick….or maybe it was the comments below it.

I hope that the weather is good for the walk!  What a great thing to do!

Gene_S
                          Participant

"Follow The Money"….

see: 

about the American Cancer Society.

Gene
                            MichaelFL
                            Participant

Gene you were kicked off MIF, don't ruin it here with this nonsense too.

I am not a fan of ACS either, but this is not what melanoma mom asked for.

Gene_S
                              Participant

What nonsense? Sometimes education can open closed eyes and views.  This is what Dr. Mercola has to say about the ACS. He has The World's #1 Natural Health Website!

See 

"but this is not what melanoma mom asked for" …strange thing, there were about 450 people that viewed this posting and very little has been posted in their favor (ACS) as to what info she was requesting.

As far as the MIF forum group, I feel they have a lot to offer. Unfortunately, it is moderated by a women who is Un-American and does not believe in the First Amendment and The Right of Free Speech. I tried to explain to her how forum groups operate and the purpose of them. They exist mainly to have people express their opinions. It should not matter if the moderator agrees or disagrees. The moderator could give her opinion or just state that she disagrees. It is not the moderators job to decide what information posted is right or wrong! To the best of my knowledge the MIF moderator is not a doctor or even a health expert (especially bad when it comes to giving correct nutritional advice).

In closing, from reading this post it is not hard to figure out who this poster is and to let her know that there is a credibility issue whenever someone posts using  "Anonymous".

Best wishes,
                                Gene
                                Gene_S
                                Participant

What nonsense? Sometimes education can open closed eyes and views.  This is what Dr. Mercola has to say about the ACS. He has The World's #1 Natural Health Website!

See 

"but this is not what melanoma mom asked for" …strange thing, there were about 450 people that viewed this posting and very little has been posted in their favor (ACS) as to what info she was requesting.

As far as the MIF forum group, I feel they have a lot to offer. Unfortunately, it is moderated by a women who is Un-American and does not believe in the First Amendment and The Right of Free Speech. I tried to explain to her how forum groups operate and the purpose of them. They exist mainly to have people express their opinions. It should not matter if the moderator agrees or disagrees. The moderator could give her opinion or just state that she disagrees. It is not the moderators job to decide what information posted is right or wrong! To the best of my knowledge the MIF moderator is not a doctor or even a health expert (especially bad when it comes to giving correct nutritional advice).

In closing, from reading this post it is not hard to figure out who this poster is and to let her know that there is a credibility issue whenever someone posts using  "Anonymous".

Best wishes,
                                  Gene

Well, the Charity Navigator Website (http://www.charitynavigator.org/) gives the ACS 3 our of 4 stars — pretty good for a large organization with a broad mission!

On the other hand, it is impossible to read Dr. Mercola's article without a popup asking for money.  I think it is pretty obvious who is "following the money".

ellen 

Well, the Charity Navigator Website (http://www.charitynavigator.org/) gives the ACS 3 our of 4 stars — pretty good for a large organization with a broad mission!

On the other hand, it is impossible to read Dr. Mercola's article without a popup asking for money.  I think it is pretty obvious who is "following the money".

ellen 

Gene_S
                                  Participant

Elien, I don't have any problems reading any info from his postings or website… perhaps you should get with the times and get a pop up blocker software program for your computer…

You stated above " pretty good for a large organization with a broad mission!" OK, Just what is their mission?

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Elien, I don't have any problems reading any info from his postings or website… perhaps you should get with the times and get a pop up blocker software program for your computer…

You stated above " pretty good for a large organization with a broad mission!" OK, Just what is their mission?

Best wishes,

Gene

Melanoma Mom
                                      Participant

Please. Just. Stop.

Melanoma Mom
                                        Participant

Please. Just. Stop.

MichaelFL
                                          Participant

Gene you were kicked off MIF, don't ruin it here with this nonsense too.

I am not a fan of ACS either, but this is not what melanoma mom asked for.

Jerry from Cape Cod
                                          Participant

IMHO.  The ACS does not spend any significant time/money on Melanoma.  The most significant funding of melanoma research and paitent family care comes from other sources.  The ACS has other high visibility causes that they center on.

I'm not slamming the organization because I think it's great in it's mission,  i've even walked the relay.

Also, to my knowledge the ACS has not issued statements prohibiting the Tanning Booth industry from participating in the relays and other fund raisers as sponsors/vendors.

Jerry from Cape Cod

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics