The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Alternative Approach

Forums General Melanoma Community Alternative Approach

Participant

Just wondering…has anyone tried holistic/naturalistic approach in addition to their drug therapy, i.e, supplements, juicing, coffee enamas, detox, essential oils, etc? If so, which ones?

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

I use Maitake D, grape seed extract, tumeric and Vitamin D.  My oncologist was aware of what I was taking and while maybe not exactly endorsing it, said he was fine with it

SABKLYN
          Participant

I use Maitake D, grape seed extract, tumeric and Vitamin D.  My oncologist was aware of what I was taking and while maybe not exactly endorsing it, said he was fine with it

Nick C
              Participant

My oncologist is also aware of what I am taking and has no problem with it. I use wheat germ, folic acid, probiatics, Vitamin D, tumeric and fruit and vegetable supplements. I have also done a couple of detoxes before I started my Keytruda treatment…so far no side effects.

Nick C
                Participant

My oncologist is also aware of what I am taking and has no problem with it. I use wheat germ, folic acid, probiatics, Vitamin D, tumeric and fruit and vegetable supplements. I have also done a couple of detoxes before I started my Keytruda treatment…so far no side effects.

Nick C
                  Participant

SABKLYN
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

As far as helping with side effects I take a probiotic to help prevent colitis and I use tea tree essential oil along with a natural oatmeal lotion to help when my skin gets itchy. I also use tumeric and certain fruits in juices and smoothies to help with joint inflammation. 

jennunicorn
                      Participant

As far as helping with side effects I take a probiotic to help prevent colitis and I use tea tree essential oil along with a natural oatmeal lotion to help when my skin gets itchy. I also use tumeric and certain fruits in juices and smoothies to help with joint inflammation. 

jennunicorn
                        Participant

debwray
                          Participant

Hi,

I use a probiotic- to help put back good bacteria after extensive antibiotics and as possible help to fend off collitis on ipi nivo, vit d supplement, fish oil(as anti inflammatory ) and tumeric. Try to stick to a healthier diet too.

debwray
                            Participant

Hi,

I use a probiotic- to help put back good bacteria after extensive antibiotics and as possible help to fend off collitis on ipi nivo, vit d supplement, fish oil(as anti inflammatory ) and tumeric. Try to stick to a healthier diet too.

debwray
                              Participant

Hi,

debwray
                                Participant

Hi,

debwray
                                  Participant

Hi,

debwray
                                    Participant

Hi,

sister of patient
                                      Participant

I've been following the story and progress of this mel survivor – you may want to check it out – https://www.baileyobrien.com/ – she had conventional treatment but opted out and sought alternatives when she wasn't responding. 

sister of patient
                                        Participant

I've been following the story and progress of this mel survivor – you may want to check it out – https://www.baileyobrien.com/ – she had conventional treatment but opted out and sought alternatives when she wasn't responding. 

sister of patient
                                          Participant

Toby0987
                                              Participant

Does anyone know about the fees she charges for her "cancer coaching"?

Toby0987
                                                Participant

Toby0987
                                                  Participant

sister of patient
                                                    Participant

I have never investigated her "coaching services" so it's probably best to contact her directly for any other information. I can tell you that she'll be the first to say that whatever's working for you, conventional or otherwise, don't stop doing it … and, though I'm not at all religious, she has a lovely "full of light" spirit that I really enjoy. She has tons of recipes for great salads, which I love and is heavy into juicing too, so lots of recipes for that as well. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

sister of patient
                                                      Participant

I have never investigated her "coaching services" so it's probably best to contact her directly for any other information. I can tell you that she'll be the first to say that whatever's working for you, conventional or otherwise, don't stop doing it … and, though I'm not at all religious, she has a lovely "full of light" spirit that I really enjoy. She has tons of recipes for great salads, which I love and is heavy into juicing too, so lots of recipes for that as well. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

sister of patient
                                                        Participant

Nicklindner
                                                        Participant

I have done similar supplements as the rest. However about 3 weeks before my ipi/nivo combo I started juicing and a sugar/flour free diet. I got my third infusion on the 26th and since then have been pretty nauseous- meds don't take the edge off. So needless to say I stopped juicing veggies. Up to that point I felt pretty good. Who knows though. Figured I would throw as much against the wall. Cookies and cupcakes never really did anything good for me anyways. ๐Ÿ™‚

best of luck bro. 

Nicklindner
                                                          Participant

I have done similar supplements as the rest. However about 3 weeks before my ipi/nivo combo I started juicing and a sugar/flour free diet. I got my third infusion on the 26th and since then have been pretty nauseous- meds don't take the edge off. So needless to say I stopped juicing veggies. Up to that point I felt pretty good. Who knows though. Figured I would throw as much against the wall. Cookies and cupcakes never really did anything good for me anyways. ๐Ÿ™‚

best of luck bro. 

Nicklindner
                                                            Participant

best of luck bro. 

we try anti-inflammatory foods, as healthy as possible, and besides that homeopathics for support, flower essences (to keep up faith), vitamines supll. (and extra C and D), turmeric&ginger (golden milk), and no sugar.

we try anti-inflammatory foods, as healthy as possible, and besides that homeopathics for support, flower essences (to keep up faith), vitamines supll. (and extra C and D), turmeric&ginger (golden milk), and no sugar.

Marksa2570
                                                              Participant

There was a study from a couple years ago that hibiscus killed melanoma cells in mice.       Does anyone think hibiscus is worth trying?    

Marksa2570
                                                                Participant

There was a study from a couple years ago that hibiscus killed melanoma cells in mice.       Does anyone think hibiscus is worth trying?    

Marksa2570
                                                                  Participant

Janner
                                                                      Participant

Lots of things have been shown to kill melanoma in mice or in petrie dishes, but killing melanoma when ingested by a human is an entirely different thing.   That claim alone wouldn't be something that sold me on a product by itself.  It's enough that the scientific community might take a closer look at it, though.

Janner
                                                                        Participant

Lots of things have been shown to kill melanoma in mice or in petrie dishes, but killing melanoma when ingested by a human is an entirely different thing.   That claim alone wouldn't be something that sold me on a product by itself.  It's enough that the scientific community might take a closer look at it, though.

Janner
                                                                          Participant

whitemeredith7
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            I picked up a book called ‘Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life’ and have found it to be very helpful towards understanding the mechanisms behind the disease, as well as lifestyle choices that can help support traditional therapies. It was written by a research oncologist who ended up with brain cancer, and he had a difficult time finding advice on diet/exercise/lifestyle from the oncologists who treated him as a patient.

Personally, I’m following a Mediterranean/anti-inflammatory type diet, improving my omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, eating lots of probiotic foods, and choosing minimally processed foods as much as possible. The only supplememts I take are vitamin D, turmeric (use liberally in cooking too), and fish oil.

That said…I definitely leave room for Ben & Jerry a couple times a week! ๐Ÿ™‚

whitemeredith7
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              I picked up a book called ‘Anti-Cancer: A New Way of Life’ and have found it to be very helpful towards understanding the mechanisms behind the disease, as well as lifestyle choices that can help support traditional therapies. It was written by a research oncologist who ended up with brain cancer, and he had a difficult time finding advice on diet/exercise/lifestyle from the oncologists who treated him as a patient.

Personally, I’m following a Mediterranean/anti-inflammatory type diet, improving my omega-3 to omega-6 ratio, eating lots of probiotic foods, and choosing minimally processed foods as much as possible. The only supplememts I take are vitamin D, turmeric (use liberally in cooking too), and fish oil.

whitemeredith7
                                                                              Participant

snow white
                                                                                Participant

Dad is doing a very low in sugar diet, only whole foods, nothing from a can/box etc.  My Mom is a fantastic cook, so that helps.  Dad does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so he indulges once in awhile.  Supplements are Vitamin D, Tumeric, probiotics and vitamin C (to ward off colds etc).  The only meds other than ipi, are blood pressure meds  & Keppra for anti-seizure.  When I was doing chemo, my doc did not want me juicing, I can't remember why though.  No juicing for Dad either.

snow white
                                                                                  Participant

Dad is doing a very low in sugar diet, only whole foods, nothing from a can/box etc.  My Mom is a fantastic cook, so that helps.  Dad does have a bit of a sweet tooth, so he indulges once in awhile.  Supplements are Vitamin D, Tumeric, probiotics and vitamin C (to ward off colds etc).  The only meds other than ipi, are blood pressure meds  & Keppra for anti-seizure.  When I was doing chemo, my doc did not want me juicing, I can't remember why though.  No juicing for Dad either.

snow white
                                                                                    Participant

Charlie S
                                                                                      Participant

You might be surprised that part of the National Institues of Health (NIH)https://www.nih.gov/  is the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health https://nccih.nih.gov/.

As always, knowledge is power.

Cheers,

Charlie 

Charlie S
                                                                                        Participant

You might be surprised that part of the National Institues of Health (NIH)https://www.nih.gov/  is the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health https://nccih.nih.gov/.

Cheers,

Charlie 

Charlie S
                                                                                          Participant

Cheers,

Charlie 

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics