The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Alternate treatments

Forums General Melanoma Community Alternate treatments

• Replies
      Swanee
      Participant

Hi Gene…….so what are you doing that is not conventional??  Please share with all of us who are doing things on the side to combat our disease and finding success…….I have supplemented with a lot of FLAX OIL  ……and I mean a lot of flax oil………I would have to take 40 horse size pills a day to do the same and it should be way more according to the diet I am following….my  regimen is using organic pure flax oil mixed in food daily and I am following the  BUDWIG DIET……..not to the tea, but try to follow it closely as I can… emphasizing on the flax oil.  I sense this site is not positive towards holistic treatments so I  tend to be shy about sharing my experiences about such regimens…..although I sense a lot of others here are doing the same and finding satisfaction…. but also shy about reporting their progress as it is hard to document.      I read about many patients that say they will not confess to their doctors about their other natural treatments…and that is sad …….we should be able to tell our Doc's about our daily lives and what we're doing to help ourselves and not worry about what they think……but we do!!   When I was first diagnosed with stage 4…  I was told it could be as quick as 6-9 months and I am almost 3 years out.  My last appt. with surgeon he said…."we through out the text books with you"….there you go!!   They don't want to hear about my flax diet…. in their minds,  only their drugs will save me and that might be true ……..but I'm not so sure.   I tried the IPI and had a fast reaction for which I am grateful for …… (ulcerated colitis)  but what I learned is…….. I already have a revved up immune system and it has already gone to battle.   We are all different…..each with different immune systems and sadly, not all of us  will survive, but their is so little known about melanoma…..unlike breast cancer.    Many of us are not given the GIFT of time and  are gone so quickly…..and then some of us are here longer dealing with our own personal and  prescribed treatments and finding SUCCESS and failures, it is such a crap shoot!!   

It is so heartbreaking to say good bye to so many beautiful people on this site as they lose their struggle with melanoma   ….. but so energizing to offer hope to so many that will survive……God Bless us, all of us, those who are present and those who have lost their battle.

Swanee

Linny
          Participant

Hi Swanee,

You'll find that a number of people in the medical profession have a prejudice against natural/alternative remedies for any ailment (not just cancer). Their rationale is that these remedies are not "scientifically proven". And they're right: hardly any of these remedies have gone through any scientific testing by a drug ny to see how well they work. You can't put a patent on any of these items so they can't make money off them therefore they aren't going to waste their time testing them. It's really a shame because of the emphasis on the almighty dollar. The drug companies have worked wonders over the past several years in curing diseases and in getting a grip on cancer, but I wonder how much more they could have accomplished if they would have tested alternative/natural remedies as well.

Turmeric must have some real merit to it because MD Anderson was testing it on various cancers, including melanoma. You can google that information. I'm not sure what the outcomes of those tests were.

Linny
            Participant

Hi Swanee,

You'll find that a number of people in the medical profession have a prejudice against natural/alternative remedies for any ailment (not just cancer). Their rationale is that these remedies are not "scientifically proven". And they're right: hardly any of these remedies have gone through any scientific testing by a drug ny to see how well they work. You can't put a patent on any of these items so they can't make money off them therefore they aren't going to waste their time testing them. It's really a shame because of the emphasis on the almighty dollar. The drug companies have worked wonders over the past several years in curing diseases and in getting a grip on cancer, but I wonder how much more they could have accomplished if they would have tested alternative/natural remedies as well.

Turmeric must have some real merit to it because MD Anderson was testing it on various cancers, including melanoma. You can google that information. I'm not sure what the outcomes of those tests were.

Linny
              Participant

Hi Swanee,

Swanee
              Participant

Hi Gene…….so what are you doing that is not conventional??  Please share with all of us who are doing things on the side to combat our disease and finding success…….I have supplemented with a lot of FLAX OIL  ……and I mean a lot of flax oil………I would have to take 40 horse size pills a day to do the same and it should be way more according to the diet I am following….my  regimen is using organic pure flax oil mixed in food daily and I am following the  BUDWIG DIET……..not to the tea, but try to follow it closely as I can… emphasizing on the flax oil.  I sense this site is not positive towards holistic treatments so I  tend to be shy about sharing my experiences about such regimens…..although I sense a lot of others here are doing the same and finding satisfaction…. but also shy about reporting their progress as it is hard to document.      I read about many patients that say they will not confess to their doctors about their other natural treatments…and that is sad …….we should be able to tell our Doc's about our daily lives and what we're doing to help ourselves and not worry about what they think……but we do!!   When I was first diagnosed with stage 4…  I was told it could be as quick as 6-9 months and I am almost 3 years out.  My last appt. with surgeon he said…."we through out the text books with you"….there you go!!   They don't want to hear about my flax diet…. in their minds,  only their drugs will save me and that might be true ……..but I'm not so sure.   I tried the IPI and had a fast reaction for which I am grateful for …… (ulcerated colitis)  but what I learned is…….. I already have a revved up immune system and it has already gone to battle.   We are all different…..each with different immune systems and sadly, not all of us  will survive, but their is so little known about melanoma…..unlike breast cancer.    Many of us are not given the GIFT of time and  are gone so quickly…..and then some of us are here longer dealing with our own personal and  prescribed treatments and finding SUCCESS and failures, it is such a crap shoot!!   

It is so heartbreaking to say good bye to so many beautiful people on this site as they lose their struggle with melanoma   ….. but so energizing to offer hope to so many that will survive……God Bless us, all of us, those who are present and those who have lost their battle.

Swanee

Swanee
                Participant

Swanee

Angelica Camargo
                  Participant

Thank you for you post. My momther is part of the Oncology Reaserch center at a Naturopathic University (Bastyr University) She didn't had side effect from her Radiation and felt very stong throughout her treatment. Since her diaganose she had not stop working except from her 10 day recuperation from surgery. She takes Curcumin(Tumeric), Mushrooms(don't know which ones or the brand) ,5000 IU of Vitamine D, and they are helping her regulate her thyroid, since it is off and it seems to be a cause of cancer. 

Angelica Camargo
                    Participant

Thank you for you post. My momther is part of the Oncology Reaserch center at a Naturopathic University (Bastyr University) She didn't had side effect from her Radiation and felt very stong throughout her treatment. Since her diaganose she had not stop working except from her 10 day recuperation from surgery. She takes Curcumin(Tumeric), Mushrooms(don't know which ones or the brand) ,5000 IU of Vitamine D, and they are helping her regulate her thyroid, since it is off and it seems to be a cause of cancer. 

Angelica Camargo
                      Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics