The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ages of Stage 4 Diagnosis?

Forums General Melanoma Community Ages of Stage 4 Diagnosis?

Participant

Hi there,

Just curious on your ages out there….what age were you diagnosed with stage 4 and how old you are now?

I was diagnosed with my primary melanoma (stage 2) at 26 years old, then went stage 4 at 38 years old and now just turned 40.  I'm doing great.  Just wondering how many of you out there are around the same age range? 

Laurie

Viewing 38 reply threads
    • Replies
        starletwoman2007
        Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 4 at 32 and am now 33 x 

starletwoman2007
          Participant

starletwoman2007
            Participant

tcell
              Participant

Diagnosed with stage IV 3 months ago, primary unknown. I am 35 years old.

sofistef
                  Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 3A in April 2012 at 36. I'm now 38 and stage 4 since Oct. 2013!

sofistef
                    Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 3A in April 2012 at 36. I'm now 38 and stage 4 since Oct. 2013!

sofistef
                      Participant

tcell
                      Participant

tcell
                        Participant

sweetaugust
                          Participant

I'm sorry we are all forced to deal with this.  Did you all go out in the sun all the time for years?  Did you do tanning beds?  I know what I did.  I burnt myself to a crisp with yearly vacations on the beach.  And I used tanning beds for 10 years non-stop. 

sweetaugust
                            Participant

I'm sorry we are all forced to deal with this.  Did you all go out in the sun all the time for years?  Did you do tanning beds?  I know what I did.  I burnt myself to a crisp with yearly vacations on the beach.  And I used tanning beds for 10 years non-stop. 

sweetaugust
                              Participant

tcell
                                  Participant

Never. Got lots of moles, was always very cautious with sun, always used at least upf 30, mostly 50, checks at dermatologist on a regular basis. In february they found mets on all major organs and some bones…

Guess my genetic disposition and / or not enough sports, too much stress may have done the job for me. Or whatever else they do not know of that might cause melanoma.

JC
                                    Participant

Lots of really really bad sunburns as a kid and young adult. . and having very fair skin that burns very easily in short time

JC
                                      Participant

Lots of really really bad sunburns as a kid and young adult. . and having very fair skin that burns very easily in short time

JC
                                        Participant

tcell
                                          Participant

Never. Got lots of moles, was always very cautious with sun, always used at least upf 30, mostly 50, checks at dermatologist on a regular basis. In february they found mets on all major organs and some bones…

Guess my genetic disposition and / or not enough sports, too much stress may have done the job for me. Or whatever else they do not know of that might cause melanoma.

tcell
                                            Participant

kpcollins31
                                            Participant

First diagnosed stage IIC at 37. Now stage IV at 40. Working full time. Gym several times a week. Life goes on and I feel really good. No treatment other than surgery (NED after surgery).

Relative to the comments about sun exposure, not all melanomas are caused by overexposure to UV rays. I really doubt that mine was caused by the sun as I was not a tanner and I have had an indoor desk job my whole life. No doubt that many are caused by overexposure to the sun so you still need to be careful. At stage IV though, I am not too concerned about the sun anymore… I put on sunscreen, wear a hat, and drive my convertible :).

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                              Participant

First diagnosed stage IIC at 37. Now stage IV at 40. Working full time. Gym several times a week. Life goes on and I feel really good. No treatment other than surgery (NED after surgery).

Relative to the comments about sun exposure, not all melanomas are caused by overexposure to UV rays. I really doubt that mine was caused by the sun as I was not a tanner and I have had an indoor desk job my whole life. No doubt that many are caused by overexposure to the sun so you still need to be careful. At stage IV though, I am not too concerned about the sun anymore… I put on sunscreen, wear a hat, and drive my convertible :).

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                Participant

Kevin

sofistef
                                                    Participant

I don't think mine was sun related, I grew up in Romania where melanoma is not that prevalent and I never used a tanning bed, it started when I was pregnant with my second child, missdiagnosted for 2 years when I insisted to take it out I was stage 3!:(((

sweetaugust
                                                      Participant

So frustrating for you Sofistef.  I have a few friends that while they were pregnant, I noticed that a couple moles on them had changed.  I told them to talk to their Derm.  They did, and the Derms said they were fine, that moles can change a bit during pregnancy.  And for my friends, those moles did return to looking more normal after pregnancy, and just knowing my history with moles and melanoma, they had them removed after surgery anyway, and they were fine. 

I know what it is like to beg for a mole to be removed.  My first melanoma was amelanotic (meaning it wasn't the typical dark ugly colors but it lacked pigment and was red.)  I went to 5 doctors and they wouldn't remove it.  I finally got a doctor to remove it, and I got the call two days later that it was 2mm melanoma.  That was my first of 4 melanomas.  Since then, the doctors remove everything I point out.  πŸ™‚

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                        Participant

So frustrating for you Sofistef.  I have a few friends that while they were pregnant, I noticed that a couple moles on them had changed.  I told them to talk to their Derm.  They did, and the Derms said they were fine, that moles can change a bit during pregnancy.  And for my friends, those moles did return to looking more normal after pregnancy, and just knowing my history with moles and melanoma, they had them removed after surgery anyway, and they were fine. 

I know what it is like to beg for a mole to be removed.  My first melanoma was amelanotic (meaning it wasn't the typical dark ugly colors but it lacked pigment and was red.)  I went to 5 doctors and they wouldn't remove it.  I finally got a doctor to remove it, and I got the call two days later that it was 2mm melanoma.  That was my first of 4 melanomas.  Since then, the doctors remove everything I point out.  πŸ™‚

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                          Participant

Laurie

sofistef
                                                            Participant

I don't think mine was sun related, I grew up in Romania where melanoma is not that prevalent and I never used a tanning bed, it started when I was pregnant with my second child, missdiagnosted for 2 years when I insisted to take it out I was stage 3!:(((

sofistef
                                                              Participant

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Stage IA at 38 years old

Stage IIIB at 43 years old

Stage IV at 45 years old

NED at TBD

Brian

hdevlin
                                                                  Participant

I was diagnosed stage 1 in February, 2010, age 38. Diagnosed stage 4 September, 2011, age 39. I was in the sun as much as I could be as a young person and used tanning beds on a very regular basis between 15-25. I had several blistering, peeling burns before age 18.

hdevlin
                                                                    Participant

I was diagnosed stage 1 in February, 2010, age 38. Diagnosed stage 4 September, 2011, age 39. I was in the sun as much as I could be as a young person and used tanning beds on a very regular basis between 15-25. I had several blistering, peeling burns before age 18.

hdevlin
                                                                      Participant

BrianP
                                                                      Participant

Stage IA at 38 years old

Stage IV at 45 years old

NED at TBD

Brian

BrianP
                                                                        Participant

Stage IA at 38 years old

Stage IV at 45 years old

NED at TBD

Brian

Mary from Aus
                                                                          Participant

I was diagnosed with Stage 1A back in August 2007 and with Stage IV in September 2013 at the age of 40. 

I've had one round of ipi (from Nov 13 to Jan 14) and have responded well with some tumours disappearing and others shrinking or stable. I had some surgery last week to get rid of one of the bigger remaining ones and also a small one that was growing.

Mary from Aus
                                                                            Participant

I was diagnosed with Stage 1A back in August 2007 and with Stage IV in September 2013 at the age of 40. 

I've had one round of ipi (from Nov 13 to Jan 14) and have responded well with some tumours disappearing and others shrinking or stable. I had some surgery last week to get rid of one of the bigger remaining ones and also a small one that was growing.

JC
                                                                                Participant

It's scary to see the multiple stories of initial Stage I or IA that became IV.  This is why I scoff at the doctors that keep saying "low risk" and "you're good to go" etc… 

JC
                                                                                  Participant

It's scary to see the multiple stories of initial Stage I or IA that became IV.  This is why I scoff at the doctors that keep saying "low risk" and "you're good to go" etc… 

SBeattie
                                                                                    Participant

Stage 2a (albeit scalp…lots of blood vessels in which the sneaky mel can take a swim; lymph nodes clear) 8.2011, age 58…local recurrence 2.2012; stage IV with lung met 8.2013, removed; recurrent lung  mets 12.2013…on ipi/nivo trial since 1.2014…ha, like Brian P…NED TBA!

SBeattie
                                                                                      Participant

Stage 2a (albeit scalp…lots of blood vessels in which the sneaky mel can take a swim; lymph nodes clear) 8.2011, age 58…local recurrence 2.2012; stage IV with lung met 8.2013, removed; recurrent lung  mets 12.2013…on ipi/nivo trial since 1.2014…ha, like Brian P…NED TBA!

SBeattie
                                                                                        Participant

JC
                                                                                          Participant

Mary from Aus
                                                                                          Participant

sweetaugust
                                                                                            Participant

I am always trying to figure out why it spreads and how to slow it down.  I am noticing that some of your melanomas were spreading from stage 1 to stage 4 in a year or a few years.  With my stage 2 it took 12 years to spread from my left arm to my lymph nodes throughout my arm pits and chest area.  Why was mine so much slower to advance?  And once mine did advance to stage 4, it doubled in size in 3 months and was growing so fast.  Until 6 months into my treatment on MK-3475 that is.  Then it started shrinking and it appears to be almost gone. 

sweetaugust
                                                                                              Participant

I am always trying to figure out why it spreads and how to slow it down.  I am noticing that some of your melanomas were spreading from stage 1 to stage 4 in a year or a few years.  With my stage 2 it took 12 years to spread from my left arm to my lymph nodes throughout my arm pits and chest area.  Why was mine so much slower to advance?  And once mine did advance to stage 4, it doubled in size in 3 months and was growing so fast.  Until 6 months into my treatment on MK-3475 that is.  Then it started shrinking and it appears to be almost gone. 

JC
                                                                                                  Participant

so is it a matter of when, not if?

JC
                                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                                      Participant

sweetaugust
                                                                                                      Participant

Mat
                                                                                                        Participant

May 2003 (29) – Stage I, .5MM (signs of regression to .7MM).  Wide excision and sentinel lymph node testing all clear.  Followed by melanoma specialist for 10 years of uneventful appointments.

June/July 2013 (39) – Stage IV with relatively few symptoms but metastasis to multiple organs, including 15 or so liver tumors.  (Presently doing well with a reduced tumor burden primarily due to the GSK combo).

So, yes, for the anonymous poster who questioned the prevailing wisdom about Stage I and the passage of time–it can happen (though it usually does not).

Mat
                                                                                                          Participant

May 2003 (29) – Stage I, .5MM (signs of regression to .7MM).  Wide excision and sentinel lymph node testing all clear.  Followed by melanoma specialist for 10 years of uneventful appointments.

June/July 2013 (39) – Stage IV with relatively few symptoms but metastasis to multiple organs, including 15 or so liver tumors.  (Presently doing well with a reduced tumor burden primarily due to the GSK combo).

So, yes, for the anonymous poster who questioned the prevailing wisdom about Stage I and the passage of time–it can happen (though it usually does not).

Mat
                                                                                                            Participant

JC
                                                                                                                Participant

could have been a different primary, not diagnosed – deeper than the initial one

JC
                                                                                                                  Participant

could have been a different primary, not diagnosed – deeper than the initial one

JC
                                                                                                                    Participant

they do lymph node testing for 0.5mm?

JC
                                                                                                                      Participant

JC
                                                                                                                        Participant

JC
                                                                                                                          Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                          Participant

Stage 4 June 21 2013 age 46  did maybe a dozen or so tan booth times in my mid 20s, had some sun burns as a kid, had awful cystic acne as a teen and finally did acutane when I was 20

Actually though first symptom was Oct 2012 when a couple times for a moment I couldn't stand but doc thought it was back muscle spasms.

Finally spread out of my bones to lymph node in April 23 2014 pet scan.

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                            Participant

Stage 4 June 21 2013 age 46  did maybe a dozen or so tan booth times in my mid 20s, had some sun burns as a kid, had awful cystic acne as a teen and finally did acutane when I was 20

Actually though first symptom was Oct 2012 when a couple times for a moment I couldn't stand but doc thought it was back muscle spasms.

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                              Participant

mau
                                                                                                                                Participant

primary 1995  (31 years old)

NED 1995 -2000

Stage iv 2001   (37yo)

NED 2003 -2011

2011 – present  …. as Charlie S. says, "not dead yet"

Just turned 50!  In 2000, as a single mom with two small kids, when disease progressed to stage3, was told I wouldn't make it to 40.  What do "they" know? Both kids are wonderful young adults and I am very thankful to have grown them up and pray daily that I will know my grandkids. (which aren't due any sooner than 5 years from now!)

Irish white skin always sunburned before tanning.  Back in the 70's we used sun tan lotion, not sunscreen!

Learned to swim at 3 and spent every momnet of every summer outside if I could.

mau
                                                                                                                                  Participant

NED 1995 -2000

Stage iv 2001   (37yo)

NED 2003 -2011

Just turned 50!  In 2000, as a single mom with two small kids, when disease progressed to stage3, was told I wouldn't make it to 40.  What do "they" know? Both kids are wonderful young adults and I am very thankful to have grown them up and pray daily that I will know my grandkids. (which aren't due any sooner than 5 years from now!)

Irish white skin always sunburned before tanning.  Back in the 70's we used sun tan lotion, not sunscreen!

mau
                                                                                                                                    Participant

NED 1995 -2000

Stage iv 2001   (37yo)

NED 2003 -2011

Treesie
                                                                                                                                      Participant

My husband went from having three malignant melanomas removed 8 years ago with clear margins and nothing else done to him now being 58 and stage IV.  Involvement is lung, colon, stomach, gallbladder, lymphnodes, adrenal gland and 12 brain lesions.

Treesie
                                                                                                                                        Participant

My husband went from having three malignant melanomas removed 8 years ago with clear margins and nothing else done to him now being 58 and stage IV.  Involvement is lung, colon, stomach, gallbladder, lymphnodes, adrenal gland and 12 brain lesions.

Treesie
                                                                                                                                          Participant

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                            Participant

I was Stage IV in July 2012 but misdiagnosed as lung cancer (carcinoid) at that time.  Had a lobectomy and went on with life.  New mets in other lung discovered January 2014.  No mets anywhere else.  Lung needle biopsy in March determined metastatic melanoma unknown primary.  Weighing options now.  I'm 48 (was 46 when it first showed up).

Had a couple of sunburns as a child and one tanning bed experience as an adult (did not like it).  I was always told I tanned beautifully so I kept it up with minimal sunscreen.  Now I have cancer and wrinkles to show for it.  Oh well.  I also have loads of moles.

Maggie

Brendan
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Stage I at 36

Stage IV at 39

Currently 42 (telling myself that I am thisclose to NED)

Good luck!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Stage I at 36

Stage IV at 39

Good luck!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Stage I at 36

Stage IV at 39

Good luck!

Brendan

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I was Stage IV in July 2012 but misdiagnosed as lung cancer (carcinoid) at that time.  Had a lobectomy and went on with life.  New mets in other lung discovered January 2014.  No mets anywhere else.  Lung needle biopsy in March determined metastatic melanoma unknown primary.  Weighing options now.  I'm 48 (was 46 when it first showed up).

Had a couple of sunburns as a child and one tanning bed experience as an adult (did not like it).  I was always told I tanned beautifully so I kept it up with minimal sunscreen.  Now I have cancer and wrinkles to show for it.  Oh well.  I also have loads of moles.

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Maggie

Tina D
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Diagnosed initial mole at 37y/o. Became stage IV at age 40 and just turned 50 last month πŸ™‚

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Diagnosed initial mole at 37y/o. Became stage IV at age 40 and just turned 50 last month πŸ™‚

Tina

sweetaugust
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Tina D,

From reading your profile I see that you and I have a few things in common.  My primary was also amelanotic.  Just as you discribed…it was raised and looked like a pink pencil eraser.  I went to five doctors before one of them agreed to remove it.  I didn't even know that skin cancer existed at that time (I was 26 years old.)  So when my doctor called me two days later with the results, I was unaware of this word melanoma. 

I too am on the Merck MK-3475 trial.  I have been on it for 1.5 years.  I am very thankful for it, as I am doing great and am what I believe is almost NED.  So I hope to be posting when I turn 50 like you.  πŸ™‚

Much luck to you,

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Tina D,

From reading your profile I see that you and I have a few things in common.  My primary was also amelanotic.  Just as you discribed…it was raised and looked like a pink pencil eraser.  I went to five doctors before one of them agreed to remove it.  I didn't even know that skin cancer existed at that time (I was 26 years old.)  So when my doctor called me two days later with the results, I was unaware of this word melanoma. 

I too am on the Merck MK-3475 trial.  I have been on it for 1.5 years.  I am very thankful for it, as I am doing great and am what I believe is almost NED.  So I hope to be posting when I turn 50 like you.  πŸ™‚

Much luck to you,

Laurie

sweetaugust
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Tina D,

Much luck to you,

Laurie

magnus31
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Over 10 years NED at stage IV is just fantastic! I am so happy for you.

rick1981
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My wife was 32 went her mole first got ithcy & bleedy (September 2013) – but because the family doctor burnt away the mole (!) no definitive stage or Breslow depth could be established.

They then diagnosed her with melanoma in January 2014 – sentinal node done, armpit biopsies whilst the primary was removed with a large diameter (6x10cm). Most likely stage 3xxx.

Proclaimed "clean" but then metastases in June 2014 – Stage 4. Just before her 33rd birthday.

But she claimed the other day she will turn 88 anyhow, let's hope for that πŸ˜€

rick1981
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

My wife was 32 went her mole first got ithcy & bleedy (September 2013) – but because the family doctor burnt away the mole (!) no definitive stage or Breslow depth could be established.

They then diagnosed her with melanoma in January 2014 – sentinal node done, armpit biopsies whilst the primary was removed with a large diameter (6x10cm). Most likely stage 3xxx.

Proclaimed "clean" but then metastases in June 2014 – Stage 4. Just before her 33rd birthday.

rick1981
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

magnus31
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

magnus31
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Tina D
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Tina

Viewing 38 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics