The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After three months, I finally have a treatment plan…yipeeeeee!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community After three months, I finally have a treatment plan…yipeeeeee!!!

Participant

I met with my oncologist, Dr. Rajappa, today to go over the PET scan results and to get the treatment plan solidified. We were both very happy with the results. While I did have one new tumor in my liver, the tumors in my lungs had not grown or multiplied. I will find out Thursday whether or not I have any new brain tumors. We talked about treatment options and both agreed that it makes more sense to start with the slower responding drug, Yervoy, since I basically have no symptoms and the tumors are stable. We will save the Zelboraf for the time when Yervoy no longer works.

The doctor even said that if there were no Yervoy, only Zelboraf, he would wait for a while before starting treatment because of how well I am doing in the moment. I am very happy that he treats conservatively and he wants my input. He is a jewel. Anyway, there is a lot of excitement since I will be the first patient getting treated with Yervoy in the Sacramento California VA System. I will start my first infusion next Tuesday and will have four total infusions in three months. I am VERY excited to get started, but not so excited to have the infusions!

More to follow!

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

I am happy to hear that you feel so comfortable with your doctor and his plan.  Best of luck with the treatment and keep us posted!

Tricia

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

HI,

Sorry that you are having to deal with stage 4 melanoma, but welcome here. I had the yervoy infusions and I pretty much sailed through them, and am a  complete responder. I am BRAF negative. Please look at my profile for my history and side effects (minimal) from the yervoy!

Best of luck,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

mombase
              Participant

Thank you, Donna. I looked at it once before because of a recommendation from another board member…now I am going to go back and scrutinize!!

mombase
                Participant

Thank you, Donna. I looked at it once before because of a recommendation from another board member…now I am going to go back and scrutinize!!

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

HI,

Sorry that you are having to deal with stage 4 melanoma, but welcome here. I had the yervoy infusions and I pretty much sailed through them, and am a  complete responder. I am BRAF negative. Please look at my profile for my history and side effects (minimal) from the yervoy!

Best of luck,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

mombase
                    Participant

Thank you very much, Tricia!

mombase
                      Participant

Thank you very much, Tricia!

triciad
                      Participant

I am happy to hear that you feel so comfortable with your doctor and his plan.  Best of luck with the treatment and keep us posted!

Tricia

nickmac56
                        Participant

Glad you have a plan and such a great atttude – best of luck on your treatment!

nickmac56
                          Participant

Glad you have a plan and such a great atttude – best of luck on your treatment!

Lisa13
                              Participant

I'm happy to hear you have a plan in place and start treatment right away.  Even though your lung mets are stable now (which is a really good thing!) you need to start doing something systemic so that they don't have a chance to grow.   

I have my 3rd ipi infusion on Thursday and other than the IV going in, it's pretty simple. I also have lung mets which have grown a small amount and havn't added anymore since April. Yervoy is a great choice, especially when the tumour burden is low and needs time to work. Having your BRAF positive option is best to save when you REALLY need it.

I wish you the best of luck through this treatment and hope for a complete response!

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                                Participant

I'm happy to hear you have a plan in place and start treatment right away.  Even though your lung mets are stable now (which is a really good thing!) you need to start doing something systemic so that they don't have a chance to grow.   

I have my 3rd ipi infusion on Thursday and other than the IV going in, it's pretty simple. I also have lung mets which have grown a small amount and havn't added anymore since April. Yervoy is a great choice, especially when the tumour burden is low and needs time to work. Having your BRAF positive option is best to save when you REALLY need it.

I wish you the best of luck through this treatment and hope for a complete response!

Lisa – Stage 4

mombase
                                  Participant

Thank you, Lisa!

mombase
                                    Participant

Thank you, Lisa!

mombase
                                      Participant

Thank you, Nick!

mombase
                                        Participant

Thank you, Nick!

jax2007gxp
                                        Participant

Keep up the great spirit!!!  Many thoughts and prayers for a successful response!

Jacki

mombase
                                            Participant

Thank you so much, Jacki!!  smiley

mombase
                                              Participant

Thank you so much, Jacki!!  smiley

jax2007gxp
                                              Participant

Keep up the great spirit!!!  Many thoughts and prayers for a successful response!

Jacki

momof2kids
                                                Participant

Good luck with the Yervoy, everyone's reactions are different, but I"m hoping it works for you and shrinks those spots and you stay free of side effects!  Time to kick some cancer butt!

mombase
                                                    Participant

With freakin' combat boots!!

mombase
                                                      Participant

With freakin' combat boots!!

momof2kids
                                                      Participant

Good luck with the Yervoy, everyone's reactions are different, but I"m hoping it works for you and shrinks those spots and you stay free of side effects!  Time to kick some cancer butt!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics