The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Abraxane treatment finally started

Forums General Melanoma Community Abraxane treatment finally started

Participant

although we were worried my wife's blood count would be too low, it tested normal and she started the chemo Abraxane today. Kind of funny, even though she has short hair from the craniotomy and bald patches from the cyberknife, the first thing she said when the doc said, "good news, we can do the chemo", was, "oh, this means I lose my hair". I guess in this case it is good news to be able to put poison in your body…and yes, in 14-21 days she loses all her hair. Treatment is weekly assuming her blood counts stay up.

although we were worried my wife's blood count would be too low, it tested normal and she started the chemo Abraxane today. Kind of funny, even though she has short hair from the craniotomy and bald patches from the cyberknife, the first thing she said when the doc said, "good news, we can do the chemo", was, "oh, this means I lose my hair". I guess in this case it is good news to be able to put poison in your body…and yes, in 14-21 days she loses all her hair. Treatment is weekly assuming her blood counts stay up.

We've also been battling an invisible tumor – the unexplained arm pain persists – although it is being managed well with a heavier daily dose of steroids and a medication called gabapentin, which is an anti-seizure med that has nerve pain reduction qualities. She saw a neurologist yesterday and he is pretty sure there is a small tumor – maybe the size of a grain of sand – and invisible to an MRI hitting a nerve in her C6 cervical spine or in her brachial plexus. She has an EMG, nerve conduction study on Monday. If they can narrow the location down they could in theory radiate it. 

Nick

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Good luck with the Abraxane and I hope they find what is causing the pain.   My thoughts and prayers are with you.

triciad
          Participant

Good luck with the Abraxane and I hope they find what is causing the pain.   My thoughts and prayers are with you.

triciad
            Participant

Phil S
              Participant
                Nick, Good luck with the chemo, I hope it can hold back those cancer cells for awhile. I am sure your family would love stability thru the holiday season coming up. I follow your blog, and admire how you and your wife are handling this situation, with love, dignity, and honesty. I am still feeling shell shocked after my husband’s craniotomy three weeks ago, and current WBR treatments. Phil is doing well, but I have to remind myself almost every minute to enjoy the moment and not dread the future. My very best to you and your wife, it’s not an easy journey! Here’s to a wonderful weekend with no treatments and doctor appointments. Valerie (Phil’s wife)

Phil S
                Participant
                  Nick, Good luck with the chemo, I hope it can hold back those cancer cells for awhile. I am sure your family would love stability thru the holiday season coming up. I follow your blog, and admire how you and your wife are handling this situation, with love, dignity, and honesty. I am still feeling shell shocked after my husband’s craniotomy three weeks ago, and current WBR treatments. Phil is doing well, but I have to remind myself almost every minute to enjoy the moment and not dread the future. My very best to you and your wife, it’s not an easy journey! Here’s to a wonderful weekend with no treatments and doctor appointments. Valerie (Phil’s wife)

Phil S
                  Participant

mombase
                    Participant

Many warm hugs to you and Meagan. May the Abraxane do its job with minimal side effects. I so much appreciate her connection to art and color. It's part of what makes life so beautiful (and, of course, a loving partner)!

Blessings to you both~

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                      Participant

Many warm hugs to you and Meagan. May the Abraxane do its job with minimal side effects. I so much appreciate her connection to art and color. It's part of what makes life so beautiful (and, of course, a loving partner)!

Blessings to you both~

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                        Participant

Blessings to you both~

Cristy, Stage IV

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Nick, it is possible that Abraxane could work better than expected. Wishing your wife good luck with the EMG. Hope that they are successful in finding and treating the source of the pain.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Nick, it is possible that Abraxane could work better than expected. Wishing your wife good luck with the EMG. Hope that they are successful in finding and treating the source of the pain.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

jag
                                Participant
                                  Nick,
                                  I’m very sorry that you and your wife are going through all of this, you are a great caregiver, and you both are an inspiration to us all.
                                  jag
                                  Participant
                                    Nick,
                                    I’m very sorry that you and your wife are going through all of this, you are a great caregiver, and you both are an inspiration to us all.
                                    jag
                                    Participant
                                      Nick,
                                  Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics