The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A song of hope for those fighting melanoma this Christmas

Forums General Melanoma Community A song of hope for those fighting melanoma this Christmas

Participant
      I am happy to report that I just got home (in time for Christmas) following my reconstructive procedure on my heel after my Wide Local Excision of my melanoma. After my skin graft surgery, I spent 1 week in the hospital and 2 weeks in a rehab facility while being restricted to keeping my foot elevated at all times. Unfortunately, I am still in a wheelchair, but have recently begun physical therapy to get back on my feet again. 

At this special time, I would like to share a song of hope for all who are fighting melanoma this Christmas.

In the song “I heard the bells on Christmas Day”…the song begins with the author (Henry Wadsworth Longfellow) hearing beautiful church bells ringing on Christmas day. To me this represents the happiness, health, and peace of mind that existed prior to diagnosis.  

The author then reflects the despair that he is feeling…right at the height of the Civil War, after having recently lost his wife and just receiving news that one of his sons was injured in battle. “In despair I bowed my head…there is no peace on Earth I said…for hate is strong and mocks the song…of Peace on Earth, Goodwill to men.” To me this represents the crushing feeling upon diagnosis that all hope may be lost…in facing one’s own mortality (or that of a loved one).

The song then turns incredibly positive with the next line…”Then pealed the bells more loud and deep. God is not dead nor doth he sleep. The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with Peace on Earth Goodwill to men.” In an instant…what seemed so hopeless…suddenly takes on a new and heightened optimism. The bells are then heard “more loud and deep” thus signifying that “God is not dead nor doth he sleep.” This newfound optimism signifies that all is NOT lost. The next line suggests that this malady can and will be overcome…”The wrong shall fail, the right prevail with Peace on Earth Goodwill to men”… Thus leaving in it’s wake a whole person…happy and healthy once again.

If you are in the midst of this fight (for yourself or a loved one), please seek out and listen to this song this Christmas. Note how a feeling of crushing despair can turn around in an instant to the feeling of incredible optimism and hope.

A particularly nice rendition can be found on YouTube by searching for (I heard the bells Mormon choir). It is impossible not to be uplifted when those bells start ringing “more loud and deep.”

May this help to bring you hope, peace, and joy this Christmas.

Mark (Stage 2A) from California

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies

Thank you Mark.  Your words are wonderful to hear.  I know that through God there is peace, whether we are sick or healthy.  Knowing that God is with us, that he hears our pain and  our celebrations and  that he understands our fears is what brings me comfort.  It is this peace that makes everyday a precious gift to be celebrated.  God never leaves us.  I look forward to finding this song.

May everyone find God's love and peace,

Shelly

Thank you Mark.  Your words are wonderful to hear.  I know that through God there is peace, whether we are sick or healthy.  Knowing that God is with us, that he hears our pain and  our celebrations and  that he understands our fears is what brings me comfort.  It is this peace that makes everyday a precious gift to be celebrated.  God never leaves us.  I look forward to finding this song.

May everyone find God's love and peace,

Shelly

lovingwifedeb
        Participant
          Thank you for the reminder that we are not alone. It does seem at times when we are in the middle of our despair and the aloneness is heavy that we forget this. As our soul opens and it reaches out, it is in this state of grief that it can receive help from God or spiritual source that one believes in. Music… A healing gift, it speaks to all of us I believe, it vibrates throughout our entire bodies.

Thank you Mark for this song at this tme of year and your description of it, for if it has affected you, it can surely affect us all.

Merry Christmas and Peace to all your trouble…

Deb, caregiver
          lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

lovingwifedeb
          Participant
            Thank you for the reminder that we are not alone. It does seem at times when we are in the middle of our despair and the aloneness is heavy that we forget this. As our soul opens and it reaches out, it is in this state of grief that it can receive help from God or spiritual source that one believes in. Music… A healing gift, it speaks to all of us I believe, it vibrates throughout our entire bodies.

Thank you Mark for this song at this tme of year and your description of it, for if it has affected you, it can surely affect us all.

Merry Christmas and Peace to all your trouble…

Deb, caregiver
            lovingwife to Bob, stage 3c

Viewing 3 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics