The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A little surprised-Brother now has melanoma as well!

Forums General Melanoma Community A little surprised-Brother now has melanoma as well!

Participant

Hi everyone!

I am a little surprised today as this is about the same scenario that happened to me over two years ago now.

Due to my dads (and family) insistence, my 40 year old brother went in to a dermatologist a few days ago to have a mole biopsied on his back that "changed" My dad called me this morning to let me know what transpired, and low and behold, he said my brother just got the call this morning-it's melanoma.

Hi everyone!

I am a little surprised today as this is about the same scenario that happened to me over two years ago now.

Due to my dads (and family) insistence, my 40 year old brother went in to a dermatologist a few days ago to have a mole biopsied on his back that "changed" My dad called me this morning to let me know what transpired, and low and behold, he said my brother just got the call this morning-it's melanoma.

What surprises me is that he really was not a sun worshipper as I was. I do not recall him ever having a sun burn and he never really went to the beach as I did as a child or adult.

I have to hand it to my dad, he probably saved both our lives as he "nagged" us both to see a derm.

I don't have any other details at this time. I will update later. At least we know what we are doing this time. I'll make sure he does not confuse Clarks Levels with stage levels as I did when first diagnosed!

Michael stage 1b-2 years one month NED.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Pat from Ohio
        Participant

Hi MIke.  I am sorry to hear about your brother.  But in the 5 years I have been involved with this disease, I have noticed a lot of melanoma that appears in places that never saw the sun.  I am not down-playing the danger of the sun and tanning but I think even the literature agrees it is not the only cause.  Good luck to your brother and its good he has you to guide his fight.  Pat   

Pat from Ohio
          Participant

Hi MIke.  I am sorry to hear about your brother.  But in the 5 years I have been involved with this disease, I have noticed a lot of melanoma that appears in places that never saw the sun.  I am not down-playing the danger of the sun and tanning but I think even the literature agrees it is not the only cause.  Good luck to your brother and its good he has you to guide his fight.  Pat   

ValinMtl
            Participant

Let's pray that he caught it extremely. Boy, your dad is good, he's a keeper!!

At the Boston symposium, the health care people stressed that family (if a member has melanoma) was #1 on the criteria of those pre-disposed to melanoma.  My sister was told she was perfectly fine by her family doctor since he checked her although my doctors requested my siblings be checked annually by a dermatologist. Her gynocologist on the other hand, having lost his best friend to mel, gave her the needed referral to a dermatologist when he heard about me, guess what although not melanoma she had basal cell carcinoma..right on her face, missed by her g.p. 

ValinMtl
              Participant

Let's pray that he caught it extremely. Boy, your dad is good, he's a keeper!!

At the Boston symposium, the health care people stressed that family (if a member has melanoma) was #1 on the criteria of those pre-disposed to melanoma.  My sister was told she was perfectly fine by her family doctor since he checked her although my doctors requested my siblings be checked annually by a dermatologist. Her gynocologist on the other hand, having lost his best friend to mel, gave her the needed referral to a dermatologist when he heard about me, guess what although not melanoma she had basal cell carcinoma..right on her face, missed by her g.p. 

Tad
                Participant

Hi Michael,

Your dad gets a big thumbs up for pushing the point of seeing a dermatologist.  It may seem odd that your brother has it as well despite not being a sun worshipper, but the genetic predisposition may run in the family.

After my diagnosis, my brother and mother both went in to the dermatologist.  My brother had three moles biopsied (thankfully all benign), while my mother was found to have basal cell carcinoma.  Now we are all diligent about following up with the dermatologists….

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis, but if there is anyone who can educate him on melanoma, it's you!

Best wishes to you and your brother!

Tad
                  Participant

Hi Michael,

Your dad gets a big thumbs up for pushing the point of seeing a dermatologist.  It may seem odd that your brother has it as well despite not being a sun worshipper, but the genetic predisposition may run in the family.

After my diagnosis, my brother and mother both went in to the dermatologist.  My brother had three moles biopsied (thankfully all benign), while my mother was found to have basal cell carcinoma.  Now we are all diligent about following up with the dermatologists….

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's diagnosis, but if there is anyone who can educate him on melanoma, it's you!

Best wishes to you and your brother!

annballard
                    Participant

Hi Mike,

My sister and cousin were diagnosed a few years ago and my sister was never a sunbather. Must be a gene marker. 

Best wishes, Ann

annballard
                      Participant

Hi Mike,

My sister and cousin were diagnosed a few years ago and my sister was never a sunbather. Must be a gene marker. 

Best wishes, Ann

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Mike, Glad to hear of the early diagnosis.  Your brother and I agree that there are other causes for Melanoma than the sun and sunburns.  (Even in the Florida sun.)

Jerryfromfauq

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Mike, Glad to hear of the early diagnosis.  Your brother and I agree that there are other causes for Melanoma than the sun and sunburns.  (Even in the Florida sun.)

Jerryfromfauq

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics