The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

7 months, still responding!

Forums General Melanoma Community 7 months, still responding!

I just had my 11th cycle CT scan for the B-raf trial and I am still responding!  The 8th cycle CT scan showed stable disease so I was sure that this time it was going to show progression but instead it showed slight shrinking still!  Yahoo and Amen!   I am so ready to be done thinking about this for awhile.  My side effects have very minimal so I am feeling very healthy.  I DO have curly and thinning  hair now…

I just had my 11th cycle CT scan for the B-raf trial and I am still responding!  The 8th cycle CT scan showed stable disease so I was sure that this time it was going to show progression but instead it showed slight shrinking still!  Yahoo and Amen!   I am so ready to be done thinking about this for awhile.  My side effects have very minimal so I am feeling very healthy.  I DO have curly and thinning  hair now… anyone else have this side effect?  Something I can live with.  FYI I also have iritis almost monthly that I have to use steroid eye drops for but I can deal with that as well as the arthritis flare-ups.  All in all I feel great and ready to march forward.  I am even thinking of joining a gym here in Basel as well as start substitute teaching! 

I thank God for this continued response and continue to pray for everyone on this board.

Peace and joy,

Shelly

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Replies
      sukie53
      Participant
        Hi Shelley,
        I am so happy to hear your wonderful news! I am on my 5th cycle so am following your progress with great interest. My first scan showed a huge reduction in tumour burden but the second one showed only slight shrinkage so I was a little disappointed. You have given me hope that mel will continue to shrink.
        I too have had little in the way of side effects but hair is very thin and I have treated myself to a wig – looks kinda nice actually. Wondering whether it will start to grow back whilst still taking the drug.
        Hope you continue to do so well,
        Xsukie

I pray that you have continued response as well.  My hair was thinnng so much last fall that I thought I too would be in a wig by Christmas.   Then it started curling so it kind of covered the thinness, the 'almost' bare spots were less obivious.  Right now.. it feels like it has stopped thinning and it has started growing longer.  (I had also felt it must have been breaking off because my normally short haircut seemed to be getting shorter…  LOL )   I am hoping that Switzerland will have a clinical for braf/mek going if/when I progress.  Prof. Dummer felt this would be a great next step since I am responding to the b-raf. 

Take care andsending you lots of prayers and blessings,

Shelly

I pray that you have continued response as well.  My hair was thinnng so much last fall that I thought I too would be in a wig by Christmas.   Then it started curling so it kind of covered the thinness, the 'almost' bare spots were less obivious.  Right now.. it feels like it has stopped thinning and it has started growing longer.  (I had also felt it must have been breaking off because my normally short haircut seemed to be getting shorter…  LOL )   I am hoping that Switzerland will have a clinical for braf/mek going if/when I progress.  Prof. Dummer felt this would be a great next step since I am responding to the b-raf. 

Take care andsending you lots of prayers and blessings,

Shelly

sukie53
        Participant
          Hi Shelley,
          I am so happy to hear your wonderful news! I am on my 5th cycle so am following your progress with great interest. My first scan showed a huge reduction in tumour burden but the second one showed only slight shrinkage so I was a little disappointed. You have given me hope that mel will continue to shrink.
          I too have had little in the way of side effects but hair is very thin and I have treated myself to a wig – looks kinda nice actually. Wondering whether it will start to grow back whilst still taking the drug.
          Hope you continue to do so well,
          Xsukie
          lhaley
          Participant

Keep it up Shelly!  I am so happy for you and also for what it means for others doing this drug.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Keep it up Shelly!  I am so happy for you and also for what it means for others doing this drug.

Linda

Kim K
              Participant

So glad to hear, I think of you often.

Kim

Hey Kim ,

I keep up with you too since we seemed to be at the same spot last winter/spring.  It sounds like you are doing great!  I am so happy for your response.  I have had you in the back of my mind as a resource if I have to consider IL-2.  Of course the doctors here in Europe are strongly opposed to it but I will have my US Cobra insurance for one more year…

Take care and enjoy life!

With continued prayers,

Shelly

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi Shelley,

SO GLAD to hear this news!!!! I think about you everyday!!! Slow down girl…the gym and work??? Start with the gym….I am going to start this next week too.

I am sorry I didnt respond sooner..was at DHMC for my third round of ipi!!

Thinking positive thoughts still!!

Hugs,

Donna

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi Shelley,

SO GLAD to hear this news!!!! I think about you everyday!!! Slow down girl…the gym and work??? Start with the gym….I am going to start this next week too.

I am sorry I didnt respond sooner..was at DHMC for my third round of ipi!!

Thinking positive thoughts still!!

Hugs,

Donna

Hey Kim ,

I keep up with you too since we seemed to be at the same spot last winter/spring.  It sounds like you are doing great!  I am so happy for your response.  I have had you in the back of my mind as a resource if I have to consider IL-2.  Of course the doctors here in Europe are strongly opposed to it but I will have my US Cobra insurance for one more year…

Take care and enjoy life!

With continued prayers,

Shelly

Kim K
                    Participant

So glad to hear, I think of you often.

Kim

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics