The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

50/50 the movie

Forums General Melanoma Community 50/50 the movie

Participant

I just saw a trailer for a new movie coming out called 50/50. It's a comedy about cancer.

How does anybody feel about this? I must admit, the trailer made me laugh. And laughter is good.

Nicki, Stage 3b

I just saw a trailer for a new movie coming out called 50/50. It's a comedy about cancer.

How does anybody feel about this? I must admit, the trailer made me laugh. And laughter is good.

Nicki, Stage 3b

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jamietk
        Participant

I saw the previews this weekend and I can't wait to see it. I hope I'm not disappointed. Not only does it look funny (and I'm sure it is sad too), but the trailer said more things that I can relate to than I've ever heard anyone outside of mpip say. Well, my friend at work who was dx w/ bc last year has said similar things too. It just looks like they are going to do a pretty accurate portrayal of how cancer patients feel. At least I hope so. And I hope I get some laughs out of it. I especially liked the beginning of the previews where they talk about shock, denial, resistance, and acceptance. Then his mom wants to move in with him. I love how the older guy at chemo offers him macaroons with weed. I like how the female friend says you can't change your situation, the only thing you can change is how you choose to deal with it. And he gets irritated with everybody saying its going to be fine because its not fine. I can 100% relate to the trailer of the movie. Ok, so maybe I've not had chemo or been offered macaroons with weed. But my mom was very clingy when I was diagnosed, i went through all the states. And the part about not changing the situation but changing how you deal with it is EXACTLY how I feel. I got so tired of people telling me to think positive because that's all it takes to beat cancer. I believe being positive helps you deal and enjoy your days a little better. But many positive, faithful, and prayerful people die from cancer. I lost some friendships over this subject because everyone told me to think positive and things will be fine. As he says in the movie, things are not "fine". Those who have not personally had cancer, will never possibly understand. Caretakers are the closest to understanding.  Everyone who has a loved one with cancer needs to see this movie (assuming the trailer is a good representation of the movie). Maybe they'll understand cancer patients a little beter. I know caretakers understand a lot. But as a patient, I know I don't totally understand how a caretaker feels. Sometimes I think caretakers have it worse. I can't wait to see it, but I'm sure I'll bawl like a baby, both happy tears and sad tears at the same time.

Jamietk
          Participant

I saw the previews this weekend and I can't wait to see it. I hope I'm not disappointed. Not only does it look funny (and I'm sure it is sad too), but the trailer said more things that I can relate to than I've ever heard anyone outside of mpip say. Well, my friend at work who was dx w/ bc last year has said similar things too. It just looks like they are going to do a pretty accurate portrayal of how cancer patients feel. At least I hope so. And I hope I get some laughs out of it. I especially liked the beginning of the previews where they talk about shock, denial, resistance, and acceptance. Then his mom wants to move in with him. I love how the older guy at chemo offers him macaroons with weed. I like how the female friend says you can't change your situation, the only thing you can change is how you choose to deal with it. And he gets irritated with everybody saying its going to be fine because its not fine. I can 100% relate to the trailer of the movie. Ok, so maybe I've not had chemo or been offered macaroons with weed. But my mom was very clingy when I was diagnosed, i went through all the states. And the part about not changing the situation but changing how you deal with it is EXACTLY how I feel. I got so tired of people telling me to think positive because that's all it takes to beat cancer. I believe being positive helps you deal and enjoy your days a little better. But many positive, faithful, and prayerful people die from cancer. I lost some friendships over this subject because everyone told me to think positive and things will be fine. As he says in the movie, things are not "fine". Those who have not personally had cancer, will never possibly understand. Caretakers are the closest to understanding.  Everyone who has a loved one with cancer needs to see this movie (assuming the trailer is a good representation of the movie). Maybe they'll understand cancer patients a little beter. I know caretakers understand a lot. But as a patient, I know I don't totally understand how a caretaker feels. Sometimes I think caretakers have it worse. I can't wait to see it, but I'm sure I'll bawl like a baby, both happy tears and sad tears at the same time.

KellieSue
            Participant

This could be a really good movie! I hope all the good parts aren't in the trailer!

Kellie(From Iowa) Stage IV

KellieSue
              Participant

This could be a really good movie! I hope all the good parts aren't in the trailer!

Kellie(From Iowa) Stage IV

gabsound
                Participant

I watched the trailer and it does look really funny. I will have to bring my sister who just found out she has breast cancer. Looks like it may not come out until September or October. We could all use a few laughs!

Julie

gabsound
                  Participant

I watched the trailer and it does look really funny. I will have to bring my sister who just found out she has breast cancer. Looks like it may not come out until September or October. We could all use a few laughs!

Julie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics