The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 years NED stage IV – no longer needing medical onco. :)

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 years NED stage IV – no longer needing medical onco. :)

Participant

So I was supposed to fly to Oahu tomorrow to see my medical oncologist.  Last visit 1 year ago had a discussion regarding my concerns about my cumulative radiation exposure (at least 9 PET/CT, 5 or more chest CTs, multiple chest x-rays – lost count etc.).  At what point do we drop scans?

In my case I had indolent disease.  8 years after stage IIA became stage IV with a small lung met and even smaller muscle met.  Removed lung tumor and underwent IL-2.  Complete responder with a durable remission…….  Based on recent follow ups of past IL-2 complete responders both my surgical & medical onc. have finally accepted I will probably continue with my durable remission.

Only now what to do…..

I called yesterday and since no scans were ordered asked what was the point of taking an entire day, flying to Oahu, spending over $300 on airfare, another $100 or so to catch a cab, to basically say I am still doing well…..  

I just had several blood tests & chest x-ray as part of my pre-op stuff for ACL surgery, all good.

With my Dr.'s blessing, he agreed I could be followed by my surgical oncologist who flies to the Big Island 2-4 times a year to see patients.  My surgical oncologist said I should still be seen by someone, but as to what testing, lab work and for how long, neither of them had an answer.  They are going to talk to each other about it.

The funny part is both feel I will never hear from mel again, but neither wants to discharge me forever – LOL.  I am at peace not doing any more scans at this point.  Perhaps it is worth it just to give those guys hope that some of us set the curve rather than live by it……

It feels good to have graduated from seeing them.  I think now it will only be annual visits +/- blood work with my surgical onc.  I can stay at home to get that done which also helps a great deal.

Just updating for whoever was interested.  Glad the day finally came 🙂

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kim K
        Participant

BTW – it is me, Kim K.  I hate the automatic anon reply……

dodgedh2
            Participant

I am NED Stage 4 (6-1/2 years now. My oncologist also released me after 5 years to be monitored by my PC. It's very nerve racking. I did recently have 5 masses removed, all showed to be benign. It helps that if I have any concern or symtom at all, it is immediatly addressed due to my history. I consider it another phase of adjustment in my melanoma journey through life.

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

dodgedh2, what was yoour treatment/sequence of treatments?  Was it only the  surgery and gamma knife mentioned in your profile? 

i hope you have a GREAT PC.  i was almost dead from the care (or laack ther of ) from my EX- Gp.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

dodgedh2, what was yoour treatment/sequence of treatments?  Was it only the  surgery and gamma knife mentioned in your profile? 

i hope you have a GREAT PC.  i was almost dead from the care (or laack ther of ) from my EX- Gp.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

dodgedh2
                    Participant

I am NED Stage 4 (6-1/2 years now. My oncologist also released me after 5 years to be monitored by my PC. It's very nerve racking. I did recently have 5 masses removed, all showed to be benign. It helps that if I have any concern or symtom at all, it is immediatly addressed due to my history. I consider it another phase of adjustment in my melanoma journey through life.

dodgedh2
                      Participant

Janner
                        Participant

Yeah Kim!  Congrats on 5 years!  Hope the girlies are doing well, too!

Janner
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Hawaii Bob
                              Participant

Great news and a hearty congrats Kim !  I'm still at Stage IIA ….. now 6 1/2 years NED….. You helped me out quite a bit when I was a newby back in August 2008 (primary on bottom of my toe)…..

Hawaii Bob (but now living on the Mainland)

Hawaii Bob
                                Participant

Great news and a hearty congrats Kim !  I'm still at Stage IIA ….. now 6 1/2 years NED….. You helped me out quite a bit when I was a newby back in August 2008 (primary on bottom of my toe)…..

Kim K
                                  Participant

Yes, I remember you well.  Thanks again for the card & gift when I had my lung surgery.  Has it been that long?  Congrats for you as well.  Too bad you had to move…..

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                    Participant

Yes, I remember you well.  Thanks again for the card & gift when I had my lung surgery.  Has it been that long?  Congrats for you as well.  Too bad you had to move…..

Aloha,

Kim

Kim K
                                      Participant

Aloha,

Kim

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Bob, where are you now.  Grat top hear fro  youagoin.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant

Hawaii Bob
                                              Participant

Kim K
                                              Participant

Kim K
                                                Participant

Randy437
                                                  Participant

I am stage IV 5 1/2 years NED.  Clean scan yesterday, but my onc doesn't want to turn me lose yet.  Previous mets to brain, each lung and small intestine. 

Randy437
                                                    Participant

I am stage IV 5 1/2 years NED.  Clean scan yesterday, but my onc doesn't want to turn me lose yet.  Previous mets to brain, each lung and small intestine. 

rosa1
                                                        Participant

Randy437, what treatments have you had to get rid of your mets?

rosa1
                                                          Participant

Randy437
                                                            Participant

All of my mets were surgically removed.  The brain met was followed up with Gamma Knife.  I was also in a vaccine trial at UVA – had one met post trial.

Randy437
                                                              Participant

All of my mets were surgically removed.  The brain met was followed up with Gamma Knife.  I was also in a vaccine trial at UVA – had one met post trial.

Randy437
                                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

Your report sounds good for Dr Slingluffs vaccine trials.  is ee Dr Weiss nest week.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

Your report sounds good for Dr Slingluffs vaccine trials.  is ee Dr Weiss nest week.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

rosa1
                                                                        Participant

Randy437
                                                                        Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

YEs Kim.I am still posting your and Janes il-2 info to people all over the internet.  Grat to hear from you agaoin.. isnpt it geat to hear the words *Believed to to aacatually CURED!  w nevere expedted it in the pst did we?  Everything thea I have read in the ppppppast fiive years have stag=ed that they 9MElanoma  speialists Oncologist have never seen anyone that was a complete responder to IL-2 and have kept a complete response for thirty comsecutijve months has ever been seen to have a recurrence of melanoma.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

PS, I'm sending your post to Jane.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                    Participant

Brendan
                                                                                      Participant

Great news Kim!!  Thanks for sharing  

Brendan
                                                                                        Participant

Brendan
                                                                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                              Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                              Participant

YEs Kim.I am still posting your and Janes il-2 info to people all over the internet.  Grat to hear from you agaoin.. isnpt it geat to hear the words *Believed to to aacatually CURED!  w nevere expedted it in the pst did we?  Everything thea I have read in the ppppppast fiive years have stag=ed that they 9MElanoma  speialists Oncologist have never seen anyone that was a complete responder to IL-2 and have kept a complete response for thirty comsecutijve months has ever been seen to have a recurrence of melanoma.

JerryfromFauq
                                                                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics