The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 year Anniversary

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 year Anniversary

Participant

5 years ago my husband who had just became Stage IV started the Clinical Trial of (IPI) Yervoy 10mg/kg and GM-CSF.  We had the 5 year appointment yesterday with the oncologist and he has been NED for almost 3 1/2 years.

There were 12 or 13 people in this Trial at University Hospital in Cleveland, OH and 4 of them are doing good still.

If you would like to read about his journey with melanoma and the trial you can check out his profile.

Judy loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Thanks for sharing Judy.  Congrats. 

Doesn't appear as though the GM-CSF had that much added benefit to Ipi alone.  Is that your takeaway as well?

Gene_S
            Participant

The GM-CSF really helps build the immune system and has been used for over 25 years for some other cancers and this was I believe the first time the used it in conjunction with Ipi for Melanoma.  Also Ipi became Yervoy and was approved by the FDA on March 26, 2011 at the 3 mg/kg so in my opinion they were pushing for the Ipi alone because this they hadn't figured out if it would help and then they had so many other new drugs they were doing trials on.  He started his trial on March 3 just before FDA approved it.

Judy

Gene_S
              Participant

The GM-CSF really helps build the immune system and has been used for over 25 years for some other cancers and this was I believe the first time the used it in conjunction with Ipi for Melanoma.  Also Ipi became Yervoy and was approved by the FDA on March 26, 2011 at the 3 mg/kg so in my opinion they were pushing for the Ipi alone because this they hadn't figured out if it would help and then they had so many other new drugs they were doing trials on.  He started his trial on March 3 just before FDA approved it.

Judy

Gene_S
                Participant

Judy

BrianP
                  Participant

Thanks Judy.  Hope my question didn't offend.  Just for my own knowledge I was curious if the investigators thought the GM-CSF helped.  I think if you treated 12 or 13 stage IVers with Ipi alone you'd probably also have pretty close to 4 still doing well.

Brian

BrianP
                    Participant

Thanks Judy.  Hope my question didn't offend.  Just for my own knowledge I was curious if the investigators thought the GM-CSF helped.  I think if you treated 12 or 13 stage IVers with Ipi alone you'd probably also have pretty close to 4 still doing well.

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

Brian

Gene_S
                        Participant

A reply below from WITom is also NED and only took the IPI  and has been NED for over 3 years as well.  So you may be right Brian.

Judy

Gene_S
                          Participant

A reply below from WITom is also NED and only took the IPI  and has been NED for over 3 years as well.  So you may be right Brian.

Judy

Gene_S
                            Participant

Judy

BrianP
                            Participant

Doesn't appear as though the GM-CSF had that much added benefit to Ipi alone.  Is that your takeaway as well?

BrianP
                              Participant

sweetaugust
                                Participant

Congrats Gene and Judy!  Great news!!!

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

sweetaugust
                                    Participant

Gwen in Maine
                                      Participant

Congratulations to the both of you. Wonderful news!

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                        Participant

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                          Participant

Gwen

DZnDef
                                            Participant

I am very happy for you both!  I wish you continued success!  And thanks so much for checking in and giving us the update.  I find all updates to be valuable and informative but, of course, I absolutely love updates like this one!

DZnDef
                                              Participant

I am very happy for you both!  I wish you continued success!  And thanks so much for checking in and giving us the update.  I find all updates to be valuable and informative but, of course, I absolutely love updates like this one!

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Eileensulliv
                                                  Participant

What a wonderful post! So happy for you both! Thank you for sharing!

Eileensulliv
                                                    Participant

Eileensulliv
                                                      Participant

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Wonderful news, Gene and Judy! Keep it going! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                                            Participant

jennunicorn
                                                              Participant

Great news, thanks for sharing!

jennunicorn
                                                                Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                  Participant

Teej
                                                                    Participant

So great to hear! Happy for you both!

Teej

Teej
                                                                      Participant

Teej

Teej
                                                                        Participant

Teej

Brendan
                                                                            Participant

Congratulations!  Thanks for sharing. Wishing you continued good luck.

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                              Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                Participant

Brendan

WITom
                                                                                Participant

Congratulations Gene and Judy!!  I'm always interested in your posts and progress as our stories are very similar in many ways. I started the same trial shortly after becoming stage 4 in May of 11' I believe about 2 months after you did (I was ipi only arm). I too have been NED for 3.5 years. I will hopefully reach the 5 year milestone this May.  Congratulations again – we are so blessed to be ipi responders!

Tom

WITom
                                                                                  Participant

Congratulations Gene and Judy!!  I'm always interested in your posts and progress as our stories are very similar in many ways. I started the same trial shortly after becoming stage 4 in May of 11' I believe about 2 months after you did (I was ipi only arm). I too have been NED for 3.5 years. I will hopefully reach the 5 year milestone this May.  Congratulations again – we are so blessed to be ipi responders!

Tom

WITom
                                                                                    Participant

Tom

Gene_S
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you all.  I hope and pray all  of you reach this status as well in whatever treatments you are taking.  It has sure been a blessing to us especially since after Gene's NED status our daughter was diagnosed with colon cancer and cancer of the peritoneum.  She fought for a year and passed last July.

Gwen in Maine
                                                                                          Participant

Oh, Judy. I'm so sorry. What trials your family has gone through…

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                                                            Participant

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                                                              Participant

Gwen

Gene_S
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you all.  I hope and pray all  of you reach this status as well in whatever treatments you are taking.  It has sure been a blessing to us especially since after Gene's NED status our daughter was diagnosed with colon cancer and cancer of the peritoneum.  She fought for a year and passed last July.

Gene_S
                                                                                                Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                                                  Participant

Great news – congratulations!

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                    Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                      Participant

Kevin

Scooby123
                                                                                                        Participant

Congratulations Gene S so pleased for you both. Nice to have good positive news on hope that we all will get that magic treatment that beats this disease for all.

Scooby123

Scooby123
                                                                                                          Participant

Congratulations Gene S so pleased for you both. Nice to have good positive news on hope that we all will get that magic treatment that beats this disease for all.

Scooby123

Scooby123
                                                                                                            Participant

Scooby123

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics