The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

4th Ipi (10mg/kg) Infusion Done!

Forums General Melanoma Community 4th Ipi (10mg/kg) Infusion Done!

Participant

Had my 4th infusion of ipi (Yervoy) yesterday. I am so glad I have been able to make it through this treatment with mild side effects. Going into it I was nervous as I am sure most would be just because of all of the possible scary side effects. I trusted in my body that I'd be able to handle anything that came up during this time. Keeping fingers and toes crossed nothing decides to sneak up now.

My oncologist is also very happy and kind of surprised at how well I have done. She is having me do the maintanence doses, so now I will have 1 infusion of ipi (same 10mg/kg) every 3 months until it has been a year. So, my next one is May 19. Then one in August and one in November and THEN I can really get excited about being DONE with ipi. 

My PET scan is in 3 weeks… of course that is always nerve wracking for any of us. I am hopeful it will be clean like it was 3 months ago. Just have to stay positive no matter what comes up.

Really tired today and my joints have been aching lately. The joint thing is not new for me, I have mild arthritis (joint issues came up for me a year and a half ago.. long before melanoma was in my life and at the time it was the biggest health issue I'd ever dealt with) and I think the ipi has just flared it up a bit like it does with my eczema. Nothing I can't handle. 

Hope everyone else going through ipi gets through it with ease as well.

All the best to everyone on here,

Jenn

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Congrats Jenn!  It seems like you just had your first infusion yesterday.  I would say time flies when you're having fun but that's really not very applicable to this situation is it. 

Hope the joint pain subsides as you get further from the treatments.  Looking forward to hearing your scan results in a few weeks.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Congrats Jenn!  It seems like you just had your first infusion yesterday.  I would say time flies when you're having fun but that's really not very applicable to this situation is it. 

Hope the joint pain subsides as you get further from the treatments.  Looking forward to hearing your scan results in a few weeks.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

jenny22
              Participant

Congratulations Jenn on making it through ALL 4 treatments….with somewhat manageable side effecs.

Keeping my fingerss crossed now for good pet scan in a few weeks.

Will be looking for your GOOD NEWS POST!!!

best,

jenny

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Thanks so much Jenny!

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Thanks so much Jenny!

jennunicorn
                      Participant

Thanks so much Jenny!

jenny22
                      Participant

Congratulations Jenn on making it through ALL 4 treatments….with somewhat manageable side effecs.

best,

jenny

jenny22
                        Participant

best,

jenny

Scooby123
                          Participant

Hi Jenn,

so glad you have completed ippi and hope scans go well for you. May I ask where you are from, i have completed ippi last June 2015 with no problems and did well 50% reduction but in our country we only get the 4 doses and that is it. I would love  to do maintanence dose feel I would benifit it . Just looking in to where and who might give it in uk. Keytruda my consultant said if progress, but feel would have a good chance ippi helping more at present. So frustrating when different country's  have different ways with giving treatment.

well done and take care

scooby123โค๏ธ

Scooby123
                            Participant

Hi Jenn,

so glad you have completed ippi and hope scans go well for you. May I ask where you are from, i have completed ippi last June 2015 with no problems and did well 50% reduction but in our country we only get the 4 doses and that is it. I would love  to do maintanence dose feel I would benifit it . Just looking in to where and who might give it in uk. Keytruda my consultant said if progress, but feel would have a good chance ippi helping more at present. So frustrating when different country's  have different ways with giving treatment.

well done and take care

scooby123โค๏ธ

Scooby123
                              Participant

Hi Jenn,

well done and take care

scooby123โค๏ธ

jennunicorn
                                  Participant

I agree that is very frusterating seeing how different countries go about doing the same treatment in different ways. I am in the U.S., California. I know other people on here in the U.S. also have not been offered maintanence doses either. It may depend on the oncologist and/or insurance. Maybe some doctors don't think it would help at all. My oncologist feels like I've done great, there is no reason for me not to do maintanence doses. She never really even mentioned me ever NOT doing them, unless of course I needed to stop for treatment of side effects. I certainly feel like I will take it as long as my body is still ok getting it. The more I can do to increase the prevention of recurrence then I am all for it. I also don't know if it depends on the stage of the patient as well. Could be something you can ask your doctor about, see what they say about it. Hope all the best for you Scooby!

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

I agree that is very frusterating seeing how different countries go about doing the same treatment in different ways. I am in the U.S., California. I know other people on here in the U.S. also have not been offered maintanence doses either. It may depend on the oncologist and/or insurance. Maybe some doctors don't think it would help at all. My oncologist feels like I've done great, there is no reason for me not to do maintanence doses. She never really even mentioned me ever NOT doing them, unless of course I needed to stop for treatment of side effects. I certainly feel like I will take it as long as my body is still ok getting it. The more I can do to increase the prevention of recurrence then I am all for it. I also don't know if it depends on the stage of the patient as well. Could be something you can ask your doctor about, see what they say about it. Hope all the best for you Scooby!

jennunicorn
                                      Participant

MoiraM
                                        Participant

Hi scooby123. I have answered the other question that you asked me under 'Did scan yesterday' which is now on page 2. I agree with your consultant. I think that Ipi is a 'one off' treatment. Also, those 50% shrunk tumours may still be being attacked by your activated T-cells. Do you want to correspond one-to-one about UK stuff? I cannot get the private messaging service to work but I could come up with a one-off email address to post so that we could get in touch.

Scooby123
                                          Participant

MoiraM,

Hi,

that would be great to speak too you regarding treatments ect, I will try and see if I can email you direct from here if not I do not mind putting my details down not sure if it is allowed but love to be able to connect with some one in uk  it would be helpful.

Scooby123โค๏ธ

Scooby123
                                            Participant

MoiraM,

Hi,

that would be great to speak too you regarding treatments ect, I will try and see if I can email you direct from here if not I do not mind putting my details down not sure if it is allowed but love to be able to connect with some one in uk  it would be helpful.

Scooby123โค๏ธ

Scooby123
                                              Participant

MoiraM,

Hi,

Scooby123โค๏ธ

MoiraM
                                                Participant

This an email address don't mind putting on the web because I can close it down if I start getting spam on it. [email protected]

MoiraM
                                                  Participant

This an email address don't mind putting on the web because I can close it down if I start getting spam on it. [email protected]

MoiraM
                                                    Participant

MoiraM
                                                      Participant

Hi scooby123. I have answered the other question that you asked me under 'Did scan yesterday' which is now on page 2. I agree with your consultant. I think that Ipi is a 'one off' treatment. Also, those 50% shrunk tumours may still be being attacked by your activated T-cells. Do you want to correspond one-to-one about UK stuff? I cannot get the private messaging service to work but I could come up with a one-off email address to post so that we could get in touch.

MoiraM
                                                        Participant

gregor913
                                                        Participant
                                                          Congrats I have one more left myself. Seems like the itching happens the first few days after infusion then dies down. Hoping I can finish with minimal side effects and I will be finished. Cheers Greg
                                                          gregor913
                                                          Participant
                                                            Congrats I have one more left myself. Seems like the itching happens the first few days after infusion then dies down. Hoping I can finish with minimal side effects and I will be finished. Cheers Greg
                                                            gregor913
                                                            Participant
                                                                jennunicorn
                                                                Participant

Glad you're doing well Greg! It will be over before you know it ๐Ÿ™‚

jennunicorn
                                                                  Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                    Participant

MoiraM
                                                                    Participant

Hi Jenn

I have been treated with Ipi. Just 3mg/kg in my case (I am in in the UK) but I am a responder. I had much worse side effects than you (I have lost anterior pituitary function) but it was well worth it.

Good luck with the scans!

All the best

Moira

MoiraM
                                                                      Participant

Hi Jenn

I have been treated with Ipi. Just 3mg/kg in my case (I am in in the UK) but I am a responder. I had much worse side effects than you (I have lost anterior pituitary function) but it was well worth it.

All the best

Moira

MoiraM
                                                                        Participant

Hi Jenn

All the best

Moira

jennunicorn
                                                                            Participant

Glad you are a responder to ipi, not fun having to deal with a more serious side effect but sometimes we have to do a trade off, right? Glad it has worked out for you!

jennunicorn
                                                                              Participant

Glad you are a responder to ipi, not fun having to deal with a more serious side effect but sometimes we have to do a trade off, right? Glad it has worked out for you!

jennunicorn
                                                                                Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Jenn, so happy you have gotten through this with hardly any side effects! I have also been wondering about continuing every three months, if there are no side effects. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be normal protocol for everybody. Glad your doctor agrees and that your insurance pays for it. Depending on how things go for my dad that is what I will be pushing for as well. The few side effects you had when did they start showing up?
                                                                                  keepthefaith11
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Jenn, so happy you have gotten through this with hardly any side effects! I have also been wondering about continuing every three months, if there are no side effects. I don’t see why that wouldn’t be normal protocol for everybody. Glad your doctor agrees and that your insurance pays for it. Depending on how things go for my dad that is what I will be pushing for as well. The few side effects you had when did they start showing up?
                                                                                    keepthefaith11
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                        jennunicorn
                                                                                        Participant

Thank you. The side effect I mainly have is fatigue, it happened after the first infusion, for the first week I'd say after each infusion I am pretty tired. My eczema flare ups also happened right away, that is worst the first couple days after an infusion. And the joint aching started after the 3rd one. Hope it goes well for your dad!

jennunicorn
                                                                                          Participant

Thank you. The side effect I mainly have is fatigue, it happened after the first infusion, for the first week I'd say after each infusion I am pretty tired. My eczema flare ups also happened right away, that is worst the first couple days after an infusion. And the joint aching started after the 3rd one. Hope it goes well for your dad!

jennunicorn
                                                                                            Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Thanks Jenn. So I guess a reaction can happen immediately. I was not sure about that. My dad has not noticed anything. Actually he says he feels better than ever! It has only been 9 days though. He is staying out of enclosed public places, like the kids basketball games. Just to be on the safe side.
                                                                                                keepthefaith11
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  Thanks Jenn. So I guess a reaction can happen immediately. I was not sure about that. My dad has not noticed anything. Actually he says he feels better than ever! It has only been 9 days though. He is staying out of enclosed public places, like the kids basketball games. Just to be on the safe side.
                                                                                                  keepthefaith11
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  Eileensulliv
                                                                                                  Participant

Congrats, Jen! What a great feeling, eh? I wish you the best with all of this! Time to celebrate (once your joints allow you to move, that is!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Eileensulliv
                                                                                                    Participant

Congrats, Jen! What a great feeling, eh? I wish you the best with all of this! Time to celebrate (once your joints allow you to move, that is!) ๐Ÿ™‚

Eileensulliv
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics