The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

3rd IPI infusion

Forums General Melanoma Community 3rd IPI infusion

Participant

My husband is having his 3rd IPI infusion tomorrow.  He has intransit lesions on his upper groin area, a few below the knee, but mainly all upper thigh/groin area.  For those of you have had intransits and had an IPI response, how did they go away?  Absorb back into the skin or fall off??  My husband has many of them and they are almost one big whole scabbed area on the whole front of his thigh.  Some ooze and bleed, but they do seem to be drying up in areas.  He has lymph edema quite bad now. 

Thanks, Cindy

My husband is having his 3rd IPI infusion tomorrow.  He has intransit lesions on his upper groin area, a few below the knee, but mainly all upper thigh/groin area.  For those of you have had intransits and had an IPI response, how did they go away?  Absorb back into the skin or fall off??  My husband has many of them and they are almost one big whole scabbed area on the whole front of his thigh.  Some ooze and bleed, but they do seem to be drying up in areas.  He has lymph edema quite bad now. 

Thanks, Cindy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Hi Cindy, I had 50 to 60 cutaneous and sub cutaneous melanoma tumors all over my right leg, mostly above the knee and below, but some in the thigh area. One scabbed over and flaked off, the rest reabsorbed very quickly starting with my third does of Ipi…after the 4th dose they were all gone!!! 

Good luck with your husband's response to Ipi!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currently stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

killmel
            Participant

Donna,

What a great response. Any side effects?? Have you had scans done after 4th ipi infusion???  If so,how do the scan look?  What does your doc sayabout the fabulaous response you got?

Continued good health & response.

David

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi David,

My doctor was super impressed! I had incresed fatigue and some nausea since I started the Ipi, but manageable with anti nausea meds and I quit work so I can nap when I need to! My scan was done two weeks after the 4th ipi dose and it reflected the areas in my leg where the melanoma had been…..still an inflammatory process going on per what is expected with ipi…..AND no new melanaoma anywhere in my body!

I am having a great response to Ipi. Hope you do too!

Vermont_Donna stage 3a

NED after 4 infusions of Ipi

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi David,

My doctor was super impressed! I had incresed fatigue and some nausea since I started the Ipi, but manageable with anti nausea meds and I quit work so I can nap when I need to! My scan was done two weeks after the 4th ipi dose and it reflected the areas in my leg where the melanoma had been…..still an inflammatory process going on per what is expected with ipi…..AND no new melanaoma anywhere in my body!

I am having a great response to Ipi. Hope you do too!

Vermont_Donna stage 3a

NED after 4 infusions of Ipi

killmel
                  Participant

Donna,

What a great response. Any side effects?? Have you had scans done after 4th ipi infusion???  If so,how do the scan look?  What does your doc sayabout the fabulaous response you got?

Continued good health & response.

David

Vermont_Donna
                  Participant

Hi Cindy, I had 50 to 60 cutaneous and sub cutaneous melanoma tumors all over my right leg, mostly above the knee and below, but some in the thigh area. One scabbed over and flaked off, the rest reabsorbed very quickly starting with my third does of Ipi…after the 4th dose they were all gone!!! 

Good luck with your husband's response to Ipi!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

currently stable after 4 infusions of Ipi

Sharyn
                    Participant

Hi Cindy,

I did 4 infusions of ipi from Sept 23 to Nov 25, with a CT scan on Dec 8. Then came 12 weeks off ipi. All my sub-qs are now gone — they just melted away, shrinking back into the skin. That started around the 3rd or 4th infusion. My lung met shrunk from 5.5cm to 3.3cm. However, I did have 4 brain mets treated with SRS last May before I started ipi, and 2 more new ones showed up on the Dec CT scan, so I had to get those taken care of before resuming ipi. I should have restarted on March 3, but couldn't because I had a craniotomy on Feb 21. Today I had the post-craniotomy SRS radiation, so I'm hoping to resume ipi within the next few weeks. Tell your hubby to give it another month or so, and if he's a responder, he should see some reduction soon.

As for his lymphedema, does he wear a compression stocking? Has he had manual lymph drainage or wrappings performed by a lymphedema massage therapist? I found all that to be very effective in helping to control the swelling. I wear a compression stocking every day from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. Also, elevating his leg when sitting helps.

Good luck with infusion #3. I hope ipi starts to show it's working real soon!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Sharyn
                      Participant

Hi Cindy,

I did 4 infusions of ipi from Sept 23 to Nov 25, with a CT scan on Dec 8. Then came 12 weeks off ipi. All my sub-qs are now gone — they just melted away, shrinking back into the skin. That started around the 3rd or 4th infusion. My lung met shrunk from 5.5cm to 3.3cm. However, I did have 4 brain mets treated with SRS last May before I started ipi, and 2 more new ones showed up on the Dec CT scan, so I had to get those taken care of before resuming ipi. I should have restarted on March 3, but couldn't because I had a craniotomy on Feb 21. Today I had the post-craniotomy SRS radiation, so I'm hoping to resume ipi within the next few weeks. Tell your hubby to give it another month or so, and if he's a responder, he should see some reduction soon.

As for his lymphedema, does he wear a compression stocking? Has he had manual lymph drainage or wrappings performed by a lymphedema massage therapist? I found all that to be very effective in helping to control the swelling. I wear a compression stocking every day from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. Also, elevating his leg when sitting helps.

Good luck with infusion #3. I hope ipi starts to show it's working real soon!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics