The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1st Scan – Good news

Forums General Melanoma Community 1st Scan – Good news

Participant

My first scan since starting therapy 4 short months ago was clear of tumors. I'm beyond thankful.

Since January, I've reached out with newbie questions and fears to get quick, informed and empathetic advice. I'm humbled by the melanoma experts and veterans here and I don't feel like I have too much to offer back as I'm still learning about how immunotherapy works and the disease itself. I know I'll continue to read this forum every day to get educated on what I now know will be a lifelong battle. 

Amidst the combination of those that have recently been diagnosed and, sadly, those that have succumb to this disease, I wanted to share my journey.

I hope this news provides more validation that the science is evolving and based on what I read here, on OncLive, Nature, etc. there is a lot of passionate research focused on melanoma.  

I was diagnosed in Jan '17 with small-ish mets to the right lung. I am being treated at The University of Chicago by Dr. Luke.  

My wife and I went to 4 different docs to understand the treatment options. 3 out of 4 recommended the combination therapy (Ipi/Nivo) as I was in good condition to deal with toxicity combined with the response rate vs the next best option.

Dr. Luke provided an alternative choice of Keytruda based on the lower tumor burden, lower LDH counts and good health. I was nearly in the epacadastat trial (combined with Keytruda) but had difficulty getting a relavant sample to ID the tumor variant. So, in lieu of another lung biospy, we forged ahead with the Keytruda.

My journey consisted of 3 treatments ande was paused due to auto-immune side effects of joint inflammation and elevated liver enzymes.

I have been assigned to a rheumatologist and we are continuing to monitor the liver and inflammation which is being treated with steroids.  I'm now able to walk more comfortably but still have stiffness from neck to big toes across all joints. The treatment is still paused and we'll reassess after the next scan in August. 

A huge thanks to those active on this forum, those that have responded to my questions and those that have answered them before I've even thought to ask. 

On of the best things I've read on here is "while I may have melanoma, it doesn't have me."  

Love and fight on…Mike

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        sister of patient
        Participant

Hi Mike – that is great news! Hope your joint pain improves quickly too. Thank you for posting and best wishes always!!

Barb

Nick C
          Participant

Mike…That's great news! Could not be happier to hear this.

RitysMom
            Participant

Thank you for sharing your story…wishing you continued good results!

jbronicki
              Participant

that's awesome news!  Honestly, I can't get enough of these great results stories!  congrats!

jennunicorn
                Participant

Awesome news Mike!

Jahendry12
                  Participant

Great news Mike. Than you for sharing.  BTW-my husband is under the care of Dr Luke. He's been excellent!

betsyl
                    Participant

Congrat, Mike! I'm very happy for you. Stay strong and carry on. 🙂

-Betsy

miaka618
                      Participant
                        Yay!! Glad to hear it!
                        Hukill
                        Participant

Congrats, it seems if you react to the immune drugs that they do the job.

cancersnewnormal
                          Participant

That is good news Mike! And although you may not feel as "senior" here as others… you're now (sadly) one who can speak on a personal level to others about the side effects. Thanks for sharing. : )

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics