The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

18 (plus) months later

Forums General Melanoma Community 18 (plus) months later

Participant

Today I realized something. Yesterday it was 18 months since I sat in a cold office at Mayo Clinic and was told I had 12-18 months left to live. 

A lot has happened in 18 months….

I went on chemotherapy – and failed chemotherapy. 

I moved my entire family (my husband and our 2 year old and 3 month old) from ND to TX to go to M.D. Anderson. 

I had a tumor harvested in case I will ever need TIL therapy. 

I went on the ipi/nivo trial – and got kicked off after 3 infusions. 

I saw success in my first set of scans.

I moved back home.

The combination trial that may have saved my life was FDA approved. 

I started Opdivo monotherapy.

I re-entered graduate school. 

I celebrated my 32nd birthday (and my husband's…and my daughter's 3rd….and my son's 1st.)

I received NED status. 

My husband and I bought a lake cabin we've always dreamed of owning. 

And with the realization that it's now 18 months later, I realize my sweet little boy is 18 months old!

And in between all these milestones, is "ordinary" life…Play-Doh, doctors appointments, bath time, treatment, dance class, naps, temper tantrums, hugs and kisses……

Keep on keeping on!

Ashley

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Great news Ashley!

Mat
          Participant

Great news Ashley!

Mat
            Participant

Great news Ashley!

Johnjk04
              Participant

Oh Hoo Sweet !!!!!!

Johnjk04
                Participant

Oh Hoo Sweet !!!!!!

Johnjk04
                  Participant

Oh Hoo Sweet !!!!!!

Bubbles
                    Participant

Wonderful…in so many ways!  Enjoy! c

Bubbles
                      Participant

Bubbles
                        Participant

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Congrats Ashley!! So glad you're doing great!

jennunicorn
                            Participant

jennunicorn
                              Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Congrats Ashley.  Your story is amazing.  Having young ones my self I can certainly relate to the in between milestones. 

Your first thread on here was one that really stuck out to me.  I couldn't be happier for you and your family.

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/newly-diagnosed-stage-iv-need

Brian

BrianP
                                  Participant

Congrats Ashley.  Your story is amazing.  Having young ones my self I can certainly relate to the in between milestones. 

Your first thread on here was one that really stuck out to me.  I couldn't be happier for you and your family.

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/newly-diagnosed-stage-iv-need

Brian

BrianP
                                    Participant

Brian

sister of patient
                                      Participant

Hi Ashley – This is such a great story – it moved me to tears, of happiness!!! Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you and your family all the best that life can give you!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                        Participant

Hi Ashley – This is such a great story – it moved me to tears, of happiness!!! Thank you so much for sharing and I wish you and your family all the best that life can give you!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                          Participant

Barb

DZnDef
                                            Participant

I'm so happy for you, Ashley!  Congratulations on exceeding your expiration date (shows you what he knew)! Welcome to "bonus time"!!  The extra sweetness of life when we no longer take it for granted.  Excellent post!  Keep them coming year after year!

DZnDef
                                              Participant

I'm so happy for you, Ashley!  Congratulations on exceeding your expiration date (shows you what he knew)! Welcome to "bonus time"!!  The extra sweetness of life when we no longer take it for granted.  Excellent post!  Keep them coming year after year!

DZnDef
                                                Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics