The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

18 months on BRAF/MEK

Forums General Melanoma Community 18 months on BRAF/MEK

I know I am just a piker compared to many of you, but it is a grand feeling to make it this far. I still have one tumor in my lungs, but it has shrunk 92% in a year and a half. Also I am now a proud member of the 500 plus minutes in the MRI cigar tube for all the brain scans. No new mets have been found since I started treatment at MGH in Boston. If we keep our hope, we will keep our strength.

I know I am just a piker compared to many of you, but it is a grand feeling to make it this far. I still have one tumor in my lungs, but it has shrunk 92% in a year and a half. Also I am now a proud member of the 500 plus minutes in the MRI cigar tube for all the brain scans. No new mets have been found since I started treatment at MGH in Boston. If we keep our hope, we will keep our strength.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Replies
      jag
      Participant

Good Man John Patrick!

May your tumors continue to shrink, 

(I heard after 1000 minutes they throw in a free MRI!)

keep up the good work!

jag
        Participant

Good Man John Patrick!

keep up the good work!

jag
          Participant

Good Man John Patrick!

keep up the good work!

Richard_K
            Participant

John Patrick

Good to hear your news.  I’ll have to ask about awards for my scans, I thought the only other benefit I got was for my wife to be able to use me as a night light.

Dick

Richard_K
              Participant

John Patrick

Good to hear your news.  I’ll have to ask about awards for my scans, I thought the only other benefit I got was for my wife to be able to use me as a night light.

Dick

Richard_K
                Participant

John Patrick

Dick

aldakota22
                  Participant

Shooting for 100% reduction.You will make it.Great news.to read.In my prayers.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                    Participant

Shooting for 100% reduction.You will make it.Great news.to read.In my prayers.Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                        Participant

Looks like we are in the same trial, just on different coasts.  I'm 14+ months along, also with great results (I posted a few days ago).  Have you had a PET done recently?  (I know it's not one of the trial requirements.)  I hope that just like in my case, your remaining tumor is not even active.

I know what you mean about the "cigar tube"!  Over the last 15 years I must have logged a few days in there!

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                          Participant

Looks like we are in the same trial, just on different coasts.  I'm 14+ months along, also with great results (I posted a few days ago).  Have you had a PET done recently?  (I know it's not one of the trial requirements.)  I hope that just like in my case, your remaining tumor is not even active.

I know what you mean about the "cigar tube"!  Over the last 15 years I must have logged a few days in there!

Best wishes,

Harry

No Harry, I haven’t had a PET since November of 10. My doctor says the remaining tumor may be a eunuch as it sure isn’t sending out the mets. 15 years!!! As I said, I’m just a piker compared to you guys that have been fighting the beast for so long. I get the MRI and CT scans every other month. Should I ask about getting a new PET? What does it show that the others don’t?
                              No Harry, I haven’t had a PET since November of 10. My doctor says the remaining tumor may be a eunuch as it sure isn’t sending out the mets. 15 years!!! As I said, I’m just a piker compared to you guys that have been fighting the beast for so long. I get the MRI and CT scans every other month. Should I ask about getting a new PET? What does it show that the others don’t?
                              Harry in Fair Oaks
                              Participant

A PET scan would show if the lung met still exhibits any hypermetabolic activity (i.e. whether it's a "eunuch" or not).  As an example, my met on the upper femur near the hip still shows on the CT, but it no longer shows any activity on the PET.  Another thing about the PET is that it includes all the extremities, as opposed to only the head and trunk that the study protocol specifies.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                Participant

A PET scan would show if the lung met still exhibits any hypermetabolic activity (i.e. whether it's a "eunuch" or not).  As an example, my met on the upper femur near the hip still shows on the CT, but it no longer shows any activity on the PET.  Another thing about the PET is that it includes all the extremities, as opposed to only the head and trunk that the study protocol specifies.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

AllyNTAus
                                    Participant

Wow,  congratulations, it is so inspiring and heartening to hear of people obtaining long-term responses on these drugs, there are a few on here now, it offers such hope.

May your great response continue for many months and years to come!

I am having my first lot of scans since starting the GSK BRAF inhibitor tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

AllyNTAus
                                      Participant

Wow,  congratulations, it is so inspiring and heartening to hear of people obtaining long-term responses on these drugs, there are a few on here now, it offers such hope.

I am having my first lot of scans since starting the GSK BRAF inhibitor tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

AllyNTAus
                                        Participant

Ali
                                          Participant

That is great news!  Thanks for sharing!

Ali
                                            Participant

Ali
                                              Participant

Erinmay22
                                                Participant

yay – go glad to hear that things are still going well!  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                  Participant

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant

Erin

audgator
                                                      Participant

You know, John Patrick Michael's tag line has always been my favorite:

The history of the world is the battle between superstition and intelligence.

But Harry's "Too ugly to die" is hard to beat. 

Dan

audgator
                                                        Participant

Dan

audgator
                                                          Participant

Dan

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics