The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

11 Year Stage IV Anniversary – not NED anymore, but very much alive!

Forums General Melanoma Community 11 Year Stage IV Anniversary – not NED anymore, but very much alive!

Participant

Hi everyone,

On June 4, 2000, I became officially Stage IV with a lung met.  It was resected, and I was blissfully NED until this February, when I was diagnosed with multiple bone mets, a couple of sub-q's, and  a nodule in the lung.

I won't kid you, the news was a bummer – after all those years I was thinking MM was in the past, and that something else was going to be the end of me.

Hi everyone,

On June 4, 2000, I became officially Stage IV with a lung met.  It was resected, and I was blissfully NED until this February, when I was diagnosed with multiple bone mets, a couple of sub-q's, and  a nodule in the lung.

I won't kid you, the news was a bummer – after all those years I was thinking MM was in the past, and that something else was going to be the end of me.

But I got my act together, and contacted my old guru Dr. O'Day (now at the Angeles Clinic in LA).  After a lot of poking and hoop jumping, I qualified for the BRAF/MEK combo trial.  I'm now starting my 4th week, with very few side effects.  The funny thing is that my bone met symptoms, as well as my sub-q's, have disappeared – even before I started the trial.  I'm taking this as good news – I'll get scans in 4 weeks, hopefully these will confirm the disease is in retreat.

I used to post annually on my anniversary date, not to brag, just to tell people that this is surviveable.  I'm doing the same this year, and hope to keep on doing it year after year!

Best wishes to all,

Harry

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        dian in spokane
        Participant

Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear of this development, but it's nice to see you posting anyway! I am happy you were able to connect right away with a doc you trust and get started in this promising trial. I hope it works well for you and that you can kick back with NED for another couple of dozen years.

You've been successful in the past, so I hope you will be again!

dian in spokane

dian in spokane
          Participant

Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear of this development, but it's nice to see you posting anyway! I am happy you were able to connect right away with a doc you trust and get started in this promising trial. I hope it works well for you and that you can kick back with NED for another couple of dozen years.

You've been successful in the past, so I hope you will be again!

dian in spokane

nicoli
            Participant

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

There must be some reason you were NED so long, maybe a strong immune system or something. Whatever the reason, we hope it will help you overcome this little hurdle.

Nicki, Stage 3b

nicoli
              Participant

Thanks so much for the encouragement.

There must be some reason you were NED so long, maybe a strong immune system or something. Whatever the reason, we hope it will help you overcome this little hurdle.

Nicki, Stage 3b

dawn dion
                Participant

Hi there Harry

My BRAF buddy I was just thinking about you this morning!  Cruising time is coming up – how exciting.

Glad to know the side effects are going well – they are pretty mild.   June 20th will be one year since I was dx with MEL.  Not a day I care to relive.   Scan day will go fine – I have faith.  I go back for my 4 month scans on the 16th.   

Have a great time – will be thinking of you.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Hi Harry,

Well sorry to hear about the blip on your melanoma radar but you have an amazing immune system and good for you to get into the BRAF/MEK treatment. Keep coming back and letting us know how you are doing!!! oh and keep on living LIFE!!!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED after Yervoy

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Hi Harry,

Well sorry to hear about the blip on your melanoma radar but you have an amazing immune system and good for you to get into the BRAF/MEK treatment. Keep coming back and letting us know how you are doing!!! oh and keep on living LIFE!!!!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED after Yervoy

dawn dion
                      Participant

Hi there Harry

My BRAF buddy I was just thinking about you this morning!  Cruising time is coming up – how exciting.

Glad to know the side effects are going well – they are pretty mild.   June 20th will be one year since I was dx with MEL.  Not a day I care to relive.   Scan day will go fine – I have faith.  I go back for my 4 month scans on the 16th.   

Have a great time – will be thinking of you.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Harry,

Wishing you the very best of luck with this treatment! My hubby's onco is the head of the trials dept at MGH in Boston and said wonderful things were happening on that trial and that many, many people were seeing almost complete remissions. 

Here is hoping you are one of them! 🙂

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

shellebrownies
                          Participant

Harry,

Wishing you the very best of luck with this treatment! My hubby's onco is the head of the trials dept at MGH in Boston and said wonderful things were happening on that trial and that many, many people were seeing almost complete remissions. 

Here is hoping you are one of them! 🙂

Michelle, wife of Don, Stage IV

LynnLuc
                            Participant

You are alive and appear to be doing well! You give us all hope!! – Lynn stage 4  NED 14 months

LynnLuc
                              Participant

You are alive and appear to be doing well! You give us all hope!! – Lynn stage 4  NED 14 months

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics