The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

10years and cruising

Forums General Melanoma Community 10years and cruising

Participant

Hello everybody, 

Very sorry that I didn't give myself a shout out for being disease free 10years in March.  I remember how inspiring that used to sound.  My treatments involved biochemotherapy, interleukin 2.  Lung removal surgery and 6 brain surgeries, SRS and patch brain radiation, lots of prayers and a supportive wife.

My philosophy was never give up until you know all of the options are out, and know all of your options in case scans come back with bad news.  I used to get daily google alerts for melanoma survivors and new melanoma therapys to have knowledge and inspiration.  

The other reseource I used was clinicaltrials.gov.  I used to study those expermental therapy's like a Sears toy catalog seeing which trials would apply for me.

Since my last brain surgery, (2010 for getting rid of radiation necrosis) I have started my own housecall veterinary business (with my wife) had a son (Jedd (named after the great Jedd Wolchok)) who will turn 6 on May 5, torn down a house and put a new one in it's place,  

So, to sum it up,  There is life after melanoma survival and just because the chips are down doesn't mean you are out of the game.  When I go to church I often pray for the people who are fighting and their loved ones supporting them and those that have been lost(see I haven't forgotten my peeps).

I wish everybody well.

Best Regards,

John

Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant

Wow.  Quite a story.  Well done.

Bubbles
          Participant

Amen!  Thanks for sharing.  Live large!!  celeste

stevek1959x
            Participant

Congrats and thanks for posting from a newbie.  LIke you, I always like when I have options – it gives me reason to keep going.

AMcReader
              Participant

I stumbled across your profile and previous comments a few weeks ago and your story has given a Stage 4 newbie like me even more hope and strength. I’m 32 with a 2 month old baby who was born two weeks before I found the mass in my brain and two smaller spots in my lungs…so, I am not going down without the fight of a lifetime. 

Your story is amazing. Thank you for sharing it and always coming back to keep all of our spirits up!

sister of patient
                Participant

Love it!!! Sharing these stories is soooo important!! Thank you John, may NED be yours forever!! Best wishes to you and your family!!

Barb

Janner
                  Participant
                    Hey John! Nice to see you post, can’t believe Jedd is 6! Time flies and glad everything is going well!
                      vivian
                      Participant

This is a wonderful post!  I remember when Jedd was born as if it were yesterday…Congratulations on his 6 years and your 10!

Lear

doxiemom
                      Participant

Thanks for sharing. Hope for us all. 

bjeans
                        Participant

Wonderful! Read your post to my husband (the patient). I'm going to borrow your sears catalogue phrasing. A friend was just diagnosed with brain cancer (not melanoma) and clinical trials are not on his radar. Thank you. 

jbronicki
                          Participant

So happy for you and your family!  There literally is nothing better than these posts about long term survival as well as life going on during and after treatment.  Congratulations and you've done the community proud!

Rick from NC
                            Participant

I second John's comments.  I'm coming up on 26 years NED after IL-2 complete response in 1992 at NIH.  I was 36 years old at that time; now I'm 62.  Complete responses are often durable!  I still read this site frequently and wish all of you the best.

BrianP
                              Participant

Thanks for posting John.  Very inspirational.

Coragirl
                                Participant

Thank you for this. My husband moved from stage 3 to 4 yesterday.. Your story gives us hope. 

[email protected]
                                  Participant
                                    great to hear that its possible…going through necrosis myself now …and love to here the good news stories..well done
                                Viewing 12 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics