The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

10 years Stage IV- husband still free of disease after biochemotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community 10 years Stage IV- husband still free of disease after biochemotherapy

Participant
      This month marked 10 years since my husband got the news that his scans were clear. In Jan of 2001, lung mets turned up in both lungs. He received a biochemo regimen that was being studied at the time at MDA by Dr Legha. (high dose IL-2 plus interferon, cisplatin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine) Then a year of just immunotherapy. Our oncologist says he is “cured” because the data is demonstrating that people who live at least 5 years after high dose IL-2 continue to be free of disease at 10 years, and further out, too, I guess. So grateful for the guys in the labs doing the research!

This month marked 10 years since my husband got the news that his scans were clear. In Jan of 2001, lung mets turned up in both lungs. He received a biochemo regimen that was being studied at the time at MDA by Dr Legha. (high dose IL-2 plus interferon, cisplatin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine) Then a year of just immunotherapy. Our oncologist says he is “cured” because the data is demonstrating that people who live at least 5 years after high dose IL-2 continue to be free of disease at 10 years, and further out, too, I guess. So grateful for the guys in the labs doing the research!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        rbruce
        Participant

THANK YOU! for your timely posting!!!  I just signed up for Biochemotherapy at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco with the same drug regimen.  Out of 135 patients followed they had almost 28% complete response.  I am scheduled to begin June 6th as long as a new brain MRI is clear and I pass their cardio stress test.  I was diagnosed in March and this will be my first treatment after investigating 140+ clinical trials and treatments. 

What was included in the year of immunotherapy? 

I thank God for this forum and people like you that continue to share their experiences.  Knowledge IS power!

Robert

Dana R.
            Participant
              In 2001, there was a doc at John Wayne doing trials on a biochemo follow-up regimen. I think his name was O’Day. Steve was not enrolled in the study, but O’Day was kind enough to communicate with our oncologist. For six months, Steve was admitted to the hospital for a quick, high dose “blast” of IL-2 each month. They did decrescendo doses, so the first few hours were the worst. It would take about 24 hrs, and they would observe him for another 24 hours. Then home, and daily shots of GM-CSF and IL-2. (thank God our insurance covered it 100%- I remember that the bill for the IL-2 that was delivered to our house was $12,000 each month). Anyway, after the first 6 months, the inpatient “blasts” were every other month.
              The best thing was that, after biochemo and 12 weeks of feeling awful every day, with neuropathy that was so bad that he had double vision and could barely feel his feet, during this follow-up treatment he felt great! We took our four kids on a 28 day trip to visit family and all of the Civil War historical sites that Steve had always wanted to see. (we were in Manhattan on 9-1-01) We carried a special cooler for Steve’s “inectables”. We made wonderful memories.
              May God bless those of you on the front lines….We think of you often and pray for you. This experience changed both of us, and our kids- and while I would not wish it on anyone, neither would I wish to be the person I was before 2001. Love with abandon, keep short accounts.
              rbruce
              Participant

Dana, Dr. O'Day is one of the  developers of the biochemotherapy I start on June 6th at CPMC in SF.  They will be using IPI as the followup immunotherapy after my chemo/il2/interferon  cocktails.  I  pray I  have the same results your hubby had. 

Dana R.
                Participant
                  I join you in that prayer. If you ever get to meet Dr. O’Day, tell him there is a family in Texas that is grateful for his efforts in the battle with this nasty cancer!
                  Dana R.
                  Participant
                    I join you in that prayer. If you ever get to meet Dr. O’Day, tell him there is a family in Texas that is grateful for his efforts in the battle with this nasty cancer!
                    rbruce
                    Participant

Dana, Dr. O'Day is one of the  developers of the biochemotherapy I start on June 6th at CPMC in SF.  They will be using IPI as the followup immunotherapy after my chemo/il2/interferon  cocktails.  I  pray I  have the same results your hubby had. 

Dana R.
                      Participant
                        In 2001, there was a doc at John Wayne doing trials on a biochemo follow-up regimen. I think his name was O’Day. Steve was not enrolled in the study, but O’Day was kind enough to communicate with our oncologist. For six months, Steve was admitted to the hospital for a quick, high dose “blast” of IL-2 each month. They did decrescendo doses, so the first few hours were the worst. It would take about 24 hrs, and they would observe him for another 24 hours. Then home, and daily shots of GM-CSF and IL-2. (thank God our insurance covered it 100%- I remember that the bill for the IL-2 that was delivered to our house was $12,000 each month). Anyway, after the first 6 months, the inpatient “blasts” were every other month.
                        The best thing was that, after biochemo and 12 weeks of feeling awful every day, with neuropathy that was so bad that he had double vision and could barely feel his feet, during this follow-up treatment he felt great! We took our four kids on a 28 day trip to visit family and all of the Civil War historical sites that Steve had always wanted to see. (we were in Manhattan on 9-1-01) We carried a special cooler for Steve’s “inectables”. We made wonderful memories.
                        May God bless those of you on the front lines….We think of you often and pray for you. This experience changed both of us, and our kids- and while I would not wish it on anyone, neither would I wish to be the person I was before 2001. Love with abandon, keep short accounts.
                      rbruce
                      Participant

THANK YOU! for your timely posting!!!  I just signed up for Biochemotherapy at California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco with the same drug regimen.  Out of 135 patients followed they had almost 28% complete response.  I am scheduled to begin June 6th as long as a new brain MRI is clear and I pass their cardio stress test.  I was diagnosed in March and this will be my first treatment after investigating 140+ clinical trials and treatments. 

What was included in the year of immunotherapy? 

I thank God for this forum and people like you that continue to share their experiences.  Knowledge IS power!

Robert

lhaley
                        Participant

I love to hear such great news!!  What drug was the year of immunotherapy?

Linda

stage IV since 06

Dana R.
                            Participant
                              Linda, I posted (long) to Robert about the follow-up.

Warmly,
                              Dana

Dana R.
                              Participant
                                Linda, I posted (long) to Robert about the follow-up.

Warmly,
                                Dana

lhaley
                              Participant

I love to hear such great news!!  What drug was the year of immunotherapy?

Linda

stage IV since 06

dian in spokane
                                Participant

Dana thanks so much for posting. It's been hard days lately on here, so always great to hear from someone who has had a sustainable response to treatment. It gives others hope.

Also, we don't hear that much about biochemo anymore now that so many other new things are being studied, but there have been plenty of people here over the years who've had great results with it, so nice to have it come up now and then so people remember it is an option.

Congratulations!

Dian in spokane

Lisa13
                                    Participant

This is the kind of news that keeps hope alive in all of us and I thank you for sharing this post. Congratulations!

I have a follow up CT scan in a week for some small "nodules" they found in my lungs.  When I read posts like this, it reminds me that anything is possible.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                      Participant

This is the kind of news that keeps hope alive in all of us and I thank you for sharing this post. Congratulations!

I have a follow up CT scan in a week for some small "nodules" they found in my lungs.  When I read posts like this, it reminds me that anything is possible.

Lisa

dian in spokane
                                      Participant

Dana thanks so much for posting. It's been hard days lately on here, so always great to hear from someone who has had a sustainable response to treatment. It gives others hope.

Also, we don't hear that much about biochemo anymore now that so many other new things are being studied, but there have been plenty of people here over the years who've had great results with it, so nice to have it come up now and then so people remember it is an option.

Congratulations!

Dian in spokane

debandmike
                                        Participant

Congratulations, what wonderful news. I hope and pray to receive the same news some day as my husband has just started his treatments of IL-2.

Best Wishes,

Debby

debandmike
                                          Participant

Congratulations, what wonderful news. I hope and pray to receive the same news some day as my husband has just started his treatments of IL-2.

Best Wishes,

Debby

Carmon in NM
                                            Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this news and congratulations to your whole family! With so many losses lately, it's wonderufl to hear such a positive victory! Enjoy your weekend and blessings to you all!

Carmon in NM
                                              Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this news and congratulations to your whole family! With so many losses lately, it's wonderufl to hear such a positive victory! Enjoy your weekend and blessings to you all!

awg
                                                Participant

That is such GREAT news and I am so happy for you and your husband!!

awg
                                                  Participant

That is such GREAT news and I am so happy for you and your husband!!

odonoghue80
                                                    Participant

Hi Robert,

Just wondering how this biochemo has gone over the past year plus? I am also considering this treatment  at CPMC while investigating other options. I just finished ipi summer 2012 but have had some progression and might need to move onto a new therapy.

Hope all is well,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                                      Participant

Hi Robert,

Just wondering how this biochemo has gone over the past year plus? I am also considering this treatment  at CPMC while investigating other options. I just finished ipi summer 2012 but have had some progression and might need to move onto a new therapy.

Hope all is well,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                                        Participant

Hi Robert,

Hope all is well,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                                          Participant

Hi Robert,

Hope all is well,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                                            Participant

Hi Robert,

Hope all is well,

Shane

odonoghue80
                                                              Participant

Hi Robert,

Hope all is well,

Shane

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics