The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1 week after Yervoy/Opdivo – zero side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community 1 week after Yervoy/Opdivo – zero side effects

Participant
      Hi there. My Dad is stage IV with mets in his lung and bone. He started Yervoy/Opdivo (first infusion was last week Friday), and so far he is feeling great and full of energy. In no way do I wish him nasty side effects, but the worry wart in me can’t help but wonder if no side effects so far means his body isn’t responding to the immunotherapy? Can anyone shed some light on this? We are 6 days our from treatment #1, so it may be too soon to tell?

Thanks in advance. I’ve read all the posts in this forum since January 2018 (working my way back in time!) All info found here has been incredibly helpful.

Amanda

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JuTMSY4
        Participant

Too soon to tell.  Some side effect are immediate and some can take a long time to show up.  I did not have typical side effects, but after several months, I developed extremely thick, dry skin on my hands and feed (weird!).  

There are clinicians who believe side effects correlate to response, but I do not believe any study has evidenced this (others feel free to correct).  

Alovingdaughter
            Participant
              I’m reading that side effects are very varied from person to person!
            jennunicorn
            Participant

Definitely too soon. I didn't get any side effects of the combo until a couple weeks after the 4th combo dose. Once on opdivo alone I had very very minor side effects, went back to work full time and lived life as usual. So, major side effects are not needed to have the treatment work 🙂

Alovingdaughter
                Participant
                  Good to hear that someone else had few side effects (though like to say, it’s too soon to tell at this point for my Dad). Congratulations on being NED! Gives me hope.
                MelanomaMike
                Participant

Hi Amanda, good to hear yer Dad is "still" comfortable at day 7, as for me, i too started my 1st ipi/nivo combo May 11th, by the 15th i was feeling achy like flu symptoms & mild nausea but not vomiting yet, my hunger was poor, id eat just a handfull size portion and wrap up the rest, my head was starting to pound when i got up or leaned down for something yada yada..Then, id say by May 17 i was OUTTA MY MIND!  i thought and said to myself "This sh#t  Better Be Working, Cuz This sucks! {i got on here at MRF and gave play by play read my prior post"s…My appetite was COMPLETLY gone! anything {minus apple sauce, yogurt and fluids} that entered my mouth was promptly pushed out by my mouths tongue and that was it, i didnt eat normal solids for the next 7 days, 2 trips to Kaiser, one to the ER, one to Urgent Care, the ER visit wich was the last time i went, all they did was bloodwork, ran IV, fed me apple sauce & juices & gave me a better nausea med " Compozine" wich helped cuz those "melts" {sublingual type} where nasty tasting wich led to me vomiting even more {yes, by this point im vomiting/heaving atleast twice a day} By May 19th {i live in California} my wife & i goy my butt down to our local Pot Shack & i bought CBD/THC oils & Gummies. Head aches & pains went away, Nausea was under control but still did nuthin for hunger {which surprised me}. My wife is a caregiver, and the old man she cared for took "Megace" and God worked in mysterious ways, he passed away May 27th, and the old mans son said it was ok to let me have the rest of the bottle, Amanda, after "2" teaspoons and maybe 18hrs later, i was eating like all that NEVER happened! MEGACE IS GOD! on my last ER run, and before trying the Megace, my wife told me to ask about Megace, and, they never gave it to me…so all that time i suffered untill Max, the old man passed. He may have died but through his left over medication, it brought this 49 year old frail & wore out man to eating food again!..i do my "2nd" Combo tommorow June 1st, ill see my Oncologist before hand, and will bring up my "grievance" with my whole Bullsh#t experiance that they could have treated, not myself with others leftovers…I FEEL ALIVE!! again!…so, thats my journey thus far…Hope yer dads is nothing like my hell i endured…

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics