The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zometa or Denosumab

Forums General Melanoma Community Zometa or Denosumab

Participant
      Hello fellow melanoma fighters,
      I thought I can ask.
      My bones have been giving up on me lately with compression fracture in my L3 from Mets.
      I had asked my doctor for Zometa, since I remember reading here it helps with bones support. Does anybody have experience with it?

Optivo/Yervoy they make me already so stiff. I had my 4 th infusion couple days ago and feel my knees, shoulders are so stiff. I wonder if I will fell better getting Zometa or there are some serious side effects which would be too much to add to the plate with ipi/nivo, radiation, bones biopsies now?
      Want get better not worse! If it makes any sense?! Thanks a lot.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          I received Zometa for perhaps 2 years while receiving immunotherapy for stage 4 melanoma. I did not ask for it. My oncologist chose it. I did not notice any problem with it. My oncologist stopped giving Zometa to me, when my bones healed and she decided its risks exceeded its benefits.
          Daisy2018
          Participant
            Thank you Edwin!
            Oh, you didn’t have many side effects to Zometa?! I read lots of people saying it’s a worst medicine ever with flu like symptoms, bones, joints pain, feeling like being hit by the brick wall.
            I can’t afford to feel worse than I feel. I mean there always can be worse, right?! I m terrified to get all these terrible side effects on a top of weakness, nausea, pain.
            Our story sounds somewhat alike with lots of disease in bones involved.
            The immunotherapy treatment had worked for you. I m still hoping it will work for me too and it just taking it’s sweet time.
            It’s nice you are around responding and keeping peoples hope and spirit up.
            It’s very easy to lose hope in this situation. Thank you for being here!
            Daisy….
            ThinkingPositive
            Participant
              Hi Daisy, I was on Zometa initially with my first infusion of pembrolizumab and immediately ran fevers and got joint pain. Doctor thought it was the Zometa so after steroids and a rest I started on Xgeva. I thank pembrolizumab for my side effects (arthralgia, diarrhea, weight loss, itchyness). By the way, I just went to every three months for the Xgeva injections which she is keeping me on mostly for osteoporosis as my bone mets has healed.
              Daisy2018
              Participant
                Thank you ThinkingPositive for responding!

I didn’t know there is something else besides the two medications I mentioned previously.

I need to do my research. It sounds like a serious treatment. One more heavy duty medication on a top of ipi/nivo I m getting now. Definitely not like vitamins infusion.
                I m terrified of feeling worse then I m now.
                Daisy…

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics