The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf Update

Participant

Tomorrow marks 20 months I have been on "Z".I am extremely happy with that milestoneThere are still issues I face . Aprils Cat scans showed small  spotsin the brain .With subsuquent  MRI, melanoma is detected.Will have additional scans in late June to monitor  them.Praying that with Gods help and"Z" that all will be good.

Tomorrow marks 20 months I have been on "Z".I am extremely happy with that milestoneThere are still issues I face . Aprils Cat scans showed small  spotsin the brain .With subsuquent  MRI, melanoma is detected.Will have additional scans in late June to monitor  them.Praying that with Gods help and"Z" that all will be good. Keeping my PMA at high level.Like all here striving to change name to NED.All in all feel great and live normal.Just retired in Feb from 2nd career at USPS and I am now collecting  early Socilal Security.Physical side affects on "Z" have been more of a nusance than serious.Never thought at this stage of life that planning for the future would be based on access to major melanoma centers.So be it.Beat the Beast.  Al

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        WayneG
        Participant

Troubling I know, but you have the PMA to beat the beast!  Praying that the latest news is only a bump in your journey.

Not retired yet – another 2 years away – but we too are planning based on melanoma center access… 

Wayne

WayneG
          Participant

Troubling I know, but you have the PMA to beat the beast!  Praying that the latest news is only a bump in your journey.

Not retired yet – another 2 years away – but we too are planning based on melanoma center access… 

Wayne

WayneG
            Participant

Wayne

kylez
              Participant

Hey Al, 

What is your doc saying about the possibility of SRS? I saw a recent webinar by Dr. Veronica Chiang of Yale over at another site. She said at Yale they don't like to wait and watch for SRS to the brain, they like to do it as early as possible, immediately after detecion. I believe they're primarily a Gamma Knife site when it comes to melanoma brain mets. 

Congrats on how stable Zel has been keeping you. 

Also congrats on retiring. I bet it's nice to have more time to deal with health issues and be able to rest a little bit.

Best, Kyle

kylez
                Participant

Hey Al, 

What is your doc saying about the possibility of SRS? I saw a recent webinar by Dr. Veronica Chiang of Yale over at another site. She said at Yale they don't like to wait and watch for SRS to the brain, they like to do it as early as possible, immediately after detecion. I believe they're primarily a Gamma Knife site when it comes to melanoma brain mets. 

Also congrats on retiring. I bet it's nice to have more time to deal with health issues and be able to rest a little bit.

Best, Kyle

kylez
                  Participant

Hey Al, 

Best, Kyle

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Al – wondering how you’ve been doing, so thanks for posting. Glad the Zel is working for most of you, sort of agree with Kyle though that it surprises me they want to watch and wait on these new spots. How many are there?

Vandy was also very greasiest with mine, found them, then zapped them a week later. I have heard more and more of folks that can stay on Zel but having to use SRS to control the brain.

I have faith your fighting spirit will see you through!

Amy

killmel
                        Participant

I am getting ready to have srs.

Please Can anyone tell their experience What were your side effects:headache loss of hair? Did you need to take steroids?

killmel
                          Participant

Please Can anyone tell their experience What were your side effects:headache loss of hair? Did you need to take steroids?

killmel
                            Participant

buffcody
                              Participant

You may find more info on your questions by using the search on the site.  I had SRS in December on two sub-centimeter tumors.  The procedure was an all-day enterprise.  Uncomfortable but only annoyingly painful when they unscrewed the holders for my helmet after finishing.  I had absolutely no side effects afterwards.  One of the two tumors has now disappeared.  The other one has been more uncertain.  The original determination was that it was showing signs of inflammation due to the SRS combined with the ipi I was on at the time.  The inflamed area has grown some over the last months, though, and it is now uncertain whether the intervention shrunk the tumor or not.  My next MRI at the end of the month should provide more info about the next step.  A craniotomy has been mentioned to remove this one.

buffcody
                                Participant

You may find more info on your questions by using the search on the site.  I had SRS in December on two sub-centimeter tumors.  The procedure was an all-day enterprise.  Uncomfortable but only annoyingly painful when they unscrewed the holders for my helmet after finishing.  I had absolutely no side effects afterwards.  One of the two tumors has now disappeared.  The other one has been more uncertain.  The original determination was that it was showing signs of inflammation due to the SRS combined with the ipi I was on at the time.  The inflamed area has grown some over the last months, though, and it is now uncertain whether the intervention shrunk the tumor or not.  My next MRI at the end of the month should provide more info about the next step.  A craniotomy has been mentioned to remove this one.

buffcody
                                  Participant

awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    Al – wondering how you’ve been doing, so thanks for posting. Glad the Zel is working for most of you, sort of agree with Kyle though that it surprises me they want to watch and wait on these new spots. How many are there?

Vandy was also very greasiest with mine, found them, then zapped them a week later. I have heard more and more of folks that can stay on Zel but having to use SRS to control the brain.

Amy

awillett1991
                                    Participant

Amy

aldakota22
                                      Participant

Thanks for the info and encouragement.Doc 's experience is that she feels that "Z" may be all that is needed if given time .As long as stable its wait till the next  MRI in June .Keeping my PMA and faith that all will be OK with next Doc's visit at end of June.Really feeling great and thankful since I have been on "Z" for 20+months. Beat the Beast.   Al

aldakota22
                                        Participant

Thanks for the info and encouragement.Doc 's experience is that she feels that "Z" may be all that is needed if given time .As long as stable its wait till the next  MRI in June .Keeping my PMA and faith that all will be OK with next Doc's visit at end of June.Really feeling great and thankful since I have been on "Z" for 20+months. Beat the Beast.   Al

awillett1991
                                            Participant
                                              Glad you feel so great Al! Keep up the fight!

Amy

awillett1991
                                              Participant

Amy

awillett1991
                                                Participant

Amy

aldakota22
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics