The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf, the good and not so good news

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf, the good and not so good news

Participant

The good news – Yesterday I got the results from my last scans.  Everything is stable, no change, and I’m thrilled to have completed 32 months on Zelboraf.

The not so good news – For the second time in a row, my bilirubin is high and I am on another one week holiday.  Assuming the bilirubin returns to normal with a retest next week I will restart Zelboraf but probably at 720mg twice per day.

I’m looking forward to breaking that 3 year mark and I hope bilirubin cooperates.

Dick

The good news – Yesterday I got the results from my last scans.  Everything is stable, no change, and I’m thrilled to have completed 32 months on Zelboraf.

The not so good news – For the second time in a row, my bilirubin is high and I am on another one week holiday.  Assuming the bilirubin returns to normal with a retest next week I will restart Zelboraf but probably at 720mg twice per day.

I’m looking forward to breaking that 3 year mark and I hope bilirubin cooperates.

Dick

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant
          That’s great to hear Dick. I’ll say a prayer for your 36 mos and for your bilirubin to go down.
          jag
          Participant
            That’s great to hear Dick. I’ll say a prayer for your 36 mos and for your bilirubin to go down.
            jag
            Participant
              awillett1991
              Participant
                Dick,

I heard again and again from my oncologist that he believes there is no difference between 8 pills/day and 6 pills/day as far as effectiveness. I was having so much trouble with side effects, he also shared he has a patient taking 6 pills one week on/one week off and she’s doing great. He’s been very involved with the trials for years and knows his stuff. This is just a bump in the road. I always appreciate your updates.

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant
                  Dick,

I heard again and again from my oncologist that he believes there is no difference between 8 pills/day and 6 pills/day as far as effectiveness. I was having so much trouble with side effects, he also shared he has a patient taking 6 pills one week on/one week off and she’s doing great. He’s been very involved with the trials for years and knows his stuff. This is just a bump in the road. I always appreciate your updates.

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Dick,

Amy

KMT2003
                    Participant
                      Wow Dick, 32 months on Z is very encouraging for me to hear! I am so glad that it has been working so well for you for a great length of time. I just recently started taking it myself. Today is day 8 for me and so far I haven’t really experienced any side effects yet… When did you first experience any side effects? I am feeling pretty good after a hard few months of testing and set backs but I am hoping to headed in the right direction now. Your story has given me great hope! Thanks for sharing your success,,

Staying positive as we fight the beast…
                      Kelly

KMT2003
                      Participant
                        Wow Dick, 32 months on Z is very encouraging for me to hear! I am so glad that it has been working so well for you for a great length of time. I just recently started taking it myself. Today is day 8 for me and so far I haven’t really experienced any side effects yet… When did you first experience any side effects? I am feeling pretty good after a hard few months of testing and set backs but I am hoping to headed in the right direction now. Your story has given me great hope! Thanks for sharing your success,,

Kelly

KMT2003
                        Participant

Kelly

Richard_K
                            Participant

Kelly

Sorry to read of your troubles but I hope you start to get the good Zelboraf benefits quickly and the side effects are minimal.  For me, I started with rash and sun sensitivity within two weeks.  At about five weeks I had, body hair loss, joint pain (preexisting arthritis?), neuropathy in both feet, and warts on skin.  At about five months the feet were very painful and at nine months, one of the warts turned out to be a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Overall, with the exception of a two month period where walking was painful and the continued sun sensitivity, the side effects have been very tolerable.  Of course the worst side effect for me now is the bilirubin increase that I hope will go away with dosage reduction.  Hope this helps and again, good luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                              Participant

Kelly

Sorry to read of your troubles but I hope you start to get the good Zelboraf benefits quickly and the side effects are minimal.  For me, I started with rash and sun sensitivity within two weeks.  At about five weeks I had, body hair loss, joint pain (preexisting arthritis?), neuropathy in both feet, and warts on skin.  At about five months the feet were very painful and at nine months, one of the warts turned out to be a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Overall, with the exception of a two month period where walking was painful and the continued sun sensitivity, the side effects have been very tolerable.  Of course the worst side effect for me now is the bilirubin increase that I hope will go away with dosage reduction.  Hope this helps and again, good luck.

Dick

Richard_K
                                Participant

Kelly

Dick

aldakota22
                                Participant

Post is mostly positive.Only a small  glitch with the bilirubin issue.Praying that after the week holiday from"Z" that it contiues to kick melanomas butt.You have a lot more awards diinners to go to.We fellow "Z" users are inspired by your success.Beat the Beast..   Al

aldakota22
                                  Participant

Post is mostly positive.Only a small  glitch with the bilirubin issue.Praying that after the week holiday from"Z" that it contiues to kick melanomas butt.You have a lot more awards diinners to go to.We fellow "Z" users are inspired by your success.Beat the Beast..   Al

aldakota22
                                    Participant

Tina D
                                      Participant

So glad to hear your great scan reports once again. 

And, I agree that the bili will just be a small bump in the road. I do know that I had to reduce dosage after 1 wk to the 720, but first scans showed 100% response. You are such a great encouragement to all of us heresmiley.

Tina

Tina D
                                        Participant

And, I agree that the bili will just be a small bump in the road. I do know that I had to reduce dosage after 1 wk to the 720, but first scans showed 100% response. You are such a great encouragement to all of us heresmiley.

Tina

Tina D
                                          Participant

Tina

H555
                                            Participant
                                              Congratulations Dick. Your success on Z is a source of hope for me. My oncologist has said there’s no real difference between 6 or 8 pills a day. I’ve been on 6 a day since month 2 and am down to one nodule smaller than 10mm in my left lung. My presenting situation was much like your when I was diagnosed as hitting stage 4.
                                              H555
                                              Participant
                                                Congratulations Dick. Your success on Z is a source of hope for me. My oncologist has said there’s no real difference between 6 or 8 pills a day. I’ve been on 6 a day since month 2 and am down to one nodule smaller than 10mm in my left lung. My presenting situation was much like your when I was diagnosed as hitting stage 4.
                                                H555
                                                Participant
                                                  Richard_K
                                                  Participant

Amy, Tina, Ron

Thanks for the first hand information about being on 720mg dosage.  While I have believed that to be true, it is always so nice to hear firsthand experience.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                    Participant

Amy, Tina, Ron

Thanks for the first hand information about being on 720mg dosage.  While I have believed that to be true, it is always so nice to hear firsthand experience.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                      Participant

Amy, Tina, Ron

Dick

kellygrl
                                                        Participant

My husband has also been on 720mg since his bilirubin went threw the roof!! I think he was almost 2 mos on full dose, then had to come off almost 2 wks and still had an MRI that showed reduction of tumors. Not as drastic as the first MRI, but still reduction in all tumors. He wants to go back on max dose to get rid of the tumors asap!! I told him slow & steady wins the race! πŸ™‚  He is feeling good, let's just go with it. Next scan in a few mos. 

You are such an inspiration Dick! Think about you often. Best of luck with your bilirubin. πŸ™‚

Kelly

kellygrl
                                                          Participant

My husband has also been on 720mg since his bilirubin went threw the roof!! I think he was almost 2 mos on full dose, then had to come off almost 2 wks and still had an MRI that showed reduction of tumors. Not as drastic as the first MRI, but still reduction in all tumors. He wants to go back on max dose to get rid of the tumors asap!! I told him slow & steady wins the race! πŸ™‚  He is feeling good, let's just go with it. Next scan in a few mos. 

You are such an inspiration Dick! Think about you often. Best of luck with your bilirubin. πŸ™‚

Kelly

kellygrl
                                                            Participant

Kelly

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

My regularly scheduled appointment last week was cancelled because of the difficulties so much of New York was experiencing as a result of hurricane Sandy.  I was able to schedule my blood work in Connecticut yesterday and today I found out the results were good and I will be able to restart Zelboraf, but at the lowered dosage of 720mg 2x per day.

Sadly, all the investigational drugs were lost in the flooding at NYU and they have had to order new supplies.  I’m hoping they get delivery by Thursday.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                Participant

My regularly scheduled appointment last week was cancelled because of the difficulties so much of New York was experiencing as a result of hurricane Sandy.  I was able to schedule my blood work in Connecticut yesterday and today I found out the results were good and I will be able to restart Zelboraf, but at the lowered dosage of 720mg 2x per day.

Sadly, all the investigational drugs were lost in the flooding at NYU and they have had to order new supplies.  I’m hoping they get delivery by Thursday.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                  Participant

Dick

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics