The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf + Supplements Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf + Supplements Question

Participant

Hello,

Does anyone know if the following supplements can effect the way Zelboraf works?  My fiance is on Zelboraf, but I also just started her on a whole bunch of supplements.  Here is the list of some of the ones I'm curious about:

Resveratrol

Turmeric

Quercetin

Aged Garlic Extract

Eugenol (Cloves)

Fenugreek

Thank you for any info you might have.

Travis

Hello,

Does anyone know if the following supplements can effect the way Zelboraf works?  My fiance is on Zelboraf, but I also just started her on a whole bunch of supplements.  Here is the list of some of the ones I'm curious about:

Resveratrol

Turmeric

Quercetin

Aged Garlic Extract

Eugenol (Cloves)

Fenugreek

Thank you for any info you might have.

Travis

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

If you go on the zelbraf site there is a hotline to call.   I am about to enter a trial with then drug and was told that there are many drugs I can't take.  For example:  no flu shots, vaccines ect.  This is a new drug and I would not do this this on your own.  The meeting is in 2 days and if I get more info I will post.  

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

If you go on the zelbraf site there is a hotline to call.   I am about to enter a trial with then drug and was told that there are many drugs I can't take.  For example:  no flu shots, vaccines ect.  This is a new drug and I would not do this this on your own.  The meeting is in 2 days and if I get more info I will post.  

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

awillett1991
              Participant
                Definitely ask her oncologist. Don’t be fooled into thinking Zel isn’t a powerful drug because it’s a pill. They are still learning about food and drug interactions- I believe there are a couple of trials, however anything else she takes is also going to tax her liver.
                awillett1991
                Participant
                  Definitely ask her oncologist. Don’t be fooled into thinking Zel isn’t a powerful drug because it’s a pill. They are still learning about food and drug interactions- I believe there are a couple of trials, however anything else she takes is also going to tax her liver.
                  awillett1991
                  Participant
                    Lisa – Aust
                    Participant

My husband Craig has been on Z for around 20 months. He too was on all sorts of supplements prior to starting it. We spoke to the oncologist, and I am pretty sure he ended up getting the clinical trial pharmacist to check all of them out, and the possible interactions. I think most of them were actually ok, but en ended up stopping taking them. They possibly said they werent sure of the interactions, so said to maybe not take them.

This probably not very helpful, but thats what happened with us!

Good luck πŸ™‚

rrrule32
                        Participant

Lisa – that is amazing that Craig is going on month 20.  Is there anything special you do with the Zelboraf?  Any specific diet he has been on?

Thank you all for your input.  Maybe I will just contact her oncologist.

Lisa – Aust
                          Participant

Hi,

Craig was originally diagnosed stage 3 in 2007, and at that point we tried to find everything we could that may help. Looked into all the complimentary therapies/diet/supplements etc. From that we just chose the things that worked for us and fit into our lifestyles and continue to live this way. I guess the main things Craig persisted with include no red meat, eating as cleanly as possible, lots of exercise, stress management, juicing everyday. These are mostly things we should all be doing regardless of a cancer dx! I work in a very evidence based profession, so am that way minded, and can be quite skeptical. I know there isnt alot of evidence for alot of the complementary therapies, but i believe these lifestyle factors have helped Craig stay so fit and healthy. At a very basic level of thinking, it makes sense to me that a well functioning immune system (esp with Melanoma) is important, so this is what we kind of aim for. Im not sure whether these things will necessarily 'boost' his immune system, but I know the effect that the stress of the past 5 years has had on my body (had some basic bloods and EVERYTHING was depleted), and im not even the patient!

Like I said, it really needs to work for you and fit into your lifestyle. No point in adding extra stress – which is probably more detrimental.

Good luck with it all and keep us posted πŸ™‚

Lisa – Aust
                            Participant

Hi,

Craig was originally diagnosed stage 3 in 2007, and at that point we tried to find everything we could that may help. Looked into all the complimentary therapies/diet/supplements etc. From that we just chose the things that worked for us and fit into our lifestyles and continue to live this way. I guess the main things Craig persisted with include no red meat, eating as cleanly as possible, lots of exercise, stress management, juicing everyday. These are mostly things we should all be doing regardless of a cancer dx! I work in a very evidence based profession, so am that way minded, and can be quite skeptical. I know there isnt alot of evidence for alot of the complementary therapies, but i believe these lifestyle factors have helped Craig stay so fit and healthy. At a very basic level of thinking, it makes sense to me that a well functioning immune system (esp with Melanoma) is important, so this is what we kind of aim for. Im not sure whether these things will necessarily 'boost' his immune system, but I know the effect that the stress of the past 5 years has had on my body (had some basic bloods and EVERYTHING was depleted), and im not even the patient!

Like I said, it really needs to work for you and fit into your lifestyle. No point in adding extra stress – which is probably more detrimental.

rrrule32
                              Participant

Lisa, that is amazing.  I'm sure all of those things combined definitely have helped.  One thing we are trying to work out is a good diet to get her on. 

If you don't mind me asking one more question, what foods do you juice with?  Do you do greens, like spinach and kale.  Do you have recipes that work better than others?

Thank you for the info.

Travis

rrrule32
                                Participant

Lisa, that is amazing.  I'm sure all of those things combined definitely have helped.  One thing we are trying to work out is a good diet to get her on. 

If you don't mind me asking one more question, what foods do you juice with?  Do you do greens, like spinach and kale.  Do you have recipes that work better than others?

Thank you for the info.

Travis

rrrule32
                                  Participant

Thank you for the info.

Travis

Lisa – Aust
                                    Participant

Hi,

Lisa – Aust
                                      Participant

Hi,

Lisa – Aust
                                        Participant

Hi,

Lisa – Aust
                                          Participant

Hi,

rrrule32
                                            Participant

Lisa – that is amazing that Craig is going on month 20.  Is there anything special you do with the Zelboraf?  Any specific diet he has been on?

rrrule32
                                              Participant

Lisa – Aust
                                              Participant

My husband Craig has been on Z for around 20 months. He too was on all sorts of supplements prior to starting it. We spoke to the oncologist, and I am pretty sure he ended up getting the clinical trial pharmacist to check all of them out, and the possible interactions. I think most of them were actually ok, but en ended up stopping taking them. They possibly said they werent sure of the interactions, so said to maybe not take them.

Good luck πŸ™‚

Lisa – Aust
                                                Participant

Good luck πŸ™‚

Eileen L
                                                  Participant

I too am on a clinical trial that includes Zelboraf and was advised to stop all my supplements except for my multivitamin and Vitamin D.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                                    Participant

I too am on a clinical trial that includes Zelboraf and was advised to stop all my supplements except for my multivitamin and Vitamin D.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                                                      Participant

Eileen L

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics