The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf side effects

Participant
      I haven’t posted in awhile but I hope everyone is having a good holiday season! I have been taking “Z” now since Oct. 18 and in the beginning the side effects were very minimal. However, now I think the side effects are showing up more…rash, red bumps on skin with a few new freckles/moles that I am watching, very sore feet (soles), sore joints and knuckles on fingers are swollen (can’t take rings off), tired more and low grade fever/chills at night only (99-100). On a few of the red bumps on my legs I can feel a small pea size bump just under the skin.

I haven’t posted in awhile but I hope everyone is having a good holiday season! I have been taking “Z” now since Oct. 18 and in the beginning the side effects were very minimal. However, now I think the side effects are showing up more…rash, red bumps on skin with a few new freckles/moles that I am watching, very sore feet (soles), sore joints and knuckles on fingers are swollen (can’t take rings off), tired more and low grade fever/chills at night only (99-100). On a few of the red bumps on my legs I can feel a small pea size bump just under the skin. Are all these side effects normal and how long do they normally last? I was hoping they would fade away after awhile. I really don’t want to have to cut my rings off so I am waiting to see if it goes down. Any ideas, suggestions or input on your experience with Z will be helpful. Thanks!

Kelly
      Stage lV
      Fight the beast with all we got!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Kelly – talk with your onc. It is very common to have the dosage reduced if the side effects are intolerable. Alot of people do see the effects improve after several months. You should be seeing a dermatologist more often too so they can watch for Squamous Cell Carcinomas and remove them immediately, it is a known side effect that some people get. I had 2 removed. Both popped up around week 8 of therapy. I’ve had swelling like you described, it receded after a few days off drug. I have a hard time staying on the drug continually. Have you tried ibuprofen for joints/fever?
          awillett1991
          Participant
            Kelly – talk with your onc. It is very common to have the dosage reduced if the side effects are intolerable. Alot of people do see the effects improve after several months. You should be seeing a dermatologist more often too so they can watch for Squamous Cell Carcinomas and remove them immediately, it is a known side effect that some people get. I had 2 removed. Both popped up around week 8 of therapy. I’ve had swelling like you described, it receded after a few days off drug. I have a hard time staying on the drug continually. Have you tried ibuprofen for joints/fever?
            awillett1991
            Participant
              Tina D
              Participant

Kelly,

I saw my dermatologist every month when I first started on Zelboraf. Within a week or two of starting, I had a squamous cell pop up on my forehead and have had to have several other suspicious areas removed. I did develop rather odd skin things like tags and warts, and such. Just be sure to see the derm regularly. I also did get those red, painful bumps that looked almost like a very large bug-bite.They were very painful, but would run in cycles…the times when they were most present seemed to correlate with the times I ran more low-grade fevers and felt yucky. But then they would subside and I'd have better days.I did notice a bump under each one of them, and the bump took a little longer to go away than the redness, but they did fade away. I found Ibuprofen worked well to help the joint stiffness/pain. My feet were very painful , and I found that gel inserts in my shoes helped…and much of the time I wore sheepskin slippers ๐Ÿ™‚  . The painful feet went completely away for me while I was still on the med. You shuld let your Dr know abt the swelling, for sure. Many people experience fewer side effects as time goes on, I had to go on to a reduced dosage after just one week on Z. I hope these things subside for you soon. 

PS. Have you tried soaping up your fingers real well, and trying to remove the rings that way? Sometimes that will work. 

Hope it all gets better soon for you!

Tina

KMT2003
                  Participant
                    Thanks for info! I do have an email in to my oncologist since it is the weekend and plan on calling my Derm on Monday. I have tried running my hands under cold water and ice packs but I will try the soap idea.

Kelly

KMT2003
                    Participant
                      Tina, the soap idea worked like a charm. Not sure why I didn’t try that before. They came off like nothing to it!!
                      KMT2003
                      Participant
                        Tina, the soap idea worked like a charm. Not sure why I didn’t try that before. They came off like nothing to it!!
                        KMT2003
                        Participant
                          Tina D
                          Participant

YAY!! smiley

Tina D
                            Participant

YAY!! smiley

Tina D
                              Participant

YAY!! smiley

KMT2003
                                Participant
                                  Thanks for info! I do have an email in to my oncologist since it is the weekend and plan on calling my Derm on Monday. I have tried running my hands under cold water and ice packs but I will try the soap idea.

Kelly

KMT2003
                                  Participant

Kelly

Tina D
                                  Participant

Kelly,

I saw my dermatologist every month when I first started on Zelboraf. Within a week or two of starting, I had a squamous cell pop up on my forehead and have had to have several other suspicious areas removed. I did develop rather odd skin things like tags and warts, and such. Just be sure to see the derm regularly. I also did get those red, painful bumps that looked almost like a very large bug-bite.They were very painful, but would run in cycles…the times when they were most present seemed to correlate with the times I ran more low-grade fevers and felt yucky. But then they would subside and I'd have better days.I did notice a bump under each one of them, and the bump took a little longer to go away than the redness, but they did fade away. I found Ibuprofen worked well to help the joint stiffness/pain. My feet were very painful , and I found that gel inserts in my shoes helped…and much of the time I wore sheepskin slippers ๐Ÿ™‚  . The painful feet went completely away for me while I was still on the med. You shuld let your Dr know abt the swelling, for sure. Many people experience fewer side effects as time goes on, I had to go on to a reduced dosage after just one week on Z. I hope these things subside for you soon. 

PS. Have you tried soaping up your fingers real well, and trying to remove the rings that way? Sometimes that will work. 

Tina

Tina D
                                    Participant

Kelly,

Tina

King
                                      Participant

Hi Kelly,

I've been thinking of you.  Thanks for the update.  I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays with your family even though it doesn't sound like you feel great.  You are tough, though, I know that.  If I can do anything to help or if you just want to vent, you know my number and email.  I'm here for you.

Happy Holidays!  Keep up the good fight!

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                                        Participant

Hi Kelly,

I've been thinking of you.  Thanks for the update.  I hope you are able to enjoy the holidays with your family even though it doesn't sound like you feel great.  You are tough, though, I know that.  If I can do anything to help or if you just want to vent, you know my number and email.  I'm here for you.

Stay Strong

King

King
                                          Participant

Hi Kelly,

Stay Strong

King

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics