The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf quit working now what?!?!

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf quit working now what?!?!

Participant

Hi everybody – My husband was diagnosed 1 year ago with Stage IV melanoma.  He has been on zelboraf for a year and we had some awesome results but both adrenals are tumors and have started growing again as of last week ct scan.  Devastated, yes.  This last year was almost surreal because my husband was feeling overall really good.  Our oncologist has now presented 2 options…  yervoy or clinical trial.  What do we do?????

Hi everybody – My husband was diagnosed 1 year ago with Stage IV melanoma.  He has been on zelboraf for a year and we had some awesome results but both adrenals are tumors and have started growing again as of last week ct scan.  Devastated, yes.  This last year was almost surreal because my husband was feeling overall really good.  Our oncologist has now presented 2 options…  yervoy or clinical trial.  What do we do?????  We are heading up to Angeles clinic in Santa Monica this Monday and then plan to fly out to Moffitt but I questioning if we should stick with yervoy….. As all of you know this is all so overwhelming.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. -Holly and Dave

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

Hi Holly,

Sorry to hear about your husbands resistant to Z. So glad your headed to Angeles Clinic. I'm not a super star that really has a vast knowledge of all of the treatments out there. I'm just someone that lost my Mom several months ago to this beast and  miss her like crazy! I still read the boards everyday.  I love all the advance in treatments that I read about all the time. Here is my thoughts for your husband. I'm sure lots of experts will chim in.

I would skip just Yervoy and get into a trial with Yervoy/Anti-PD1 or just Anti-PD1. Lots of trial I see opening up on that. Next if you visit the other board. MIF, Melanoma International Foundation and look under Stage 4, Jonathan, http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f

I also see a lot about the Braf/Mek. I'm not super knowledgable in all of the braf trials as my Mother was braf negative. Lots of wonderful options for the both of you to look at. You have a great game plan in place by visiting both Angeles Clinic and also Moffitt. Read up on Jonathan's latest post from July 24. People are doing well on his trial. I'm cheering on a local guy in my hometown that that has a great blog you can follow, Patient #1. He was treated at Moffitt and did several medication together, Yervoy IL2 and on and on. That's why he's Patient #1. He did O.K, but is now doing Merk Anti-pd1 in Ft. Lauderdale and had nice first scan results. Stay focused on the fight and you'll do well! You have lots of supoort and brillant people on these boards. When your at Angeles ask about the tiral Jonathan is in. And the Yervoy/Anti-PD1……….

All the best to you and Dave!!! 

Regards,

Wendy

Catherine posted a while ago about this trial of a drug currently called DEDN6526A by Genentech/Roche – details at clinicaltrials.gov, trial NCT01522664. It uses something called ADC technology, which is the hottest wrinkle in cancer therapy these days, and this is the first ADC drug specifically aimed at melanoma. The first ADC drug to be FDA approved "came out" 2 weeks ago, for Her-2 breast cancer, the most aggressive form. Many more ADC drugs are "in the trial pipeline" at present, and you'll likely hear about them soon if you haven't already. 

WendyPam
          Participant

Hi Holly,

Sorry to hear about your husbands resistant to Z. So glad your headed to Angeles Clinic. I'm not a super star that really has a vast knowledge of all of the treatments out there. I'm just someone that lost my Mom several months ago to this beast and  miss her like crazy! I still read the boards everyday.  I love all the advance in treatments that I read about all the time. Here is my thoughts for your husband. I'm sure lots of experts will chim in.

I would skip just Yervoy and get into a trial with Yervoy/Anti-PD1 or just Anti-PD1. Lots of trial I see opening up on that. Next if you visit the other board. MIF, Melanoma International Foundation and look under Stage 4, Jonathan, http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f

I also see a lot about the Braf/Mek. I'm not super knowledgable in all of the braf trials as my Mother was braf negative. Lots of wonderful options for the both of you to look at. You have a great game plan in place by visiting both Angeles Clinic and also Moffitt. Read up on Jonathan's latest post from July 24. People are doing well on his trial. I'm cheering on a local guy in my hometown that that has a great blog you can follow, Patient #1. He was treated at Moffitt and did several medication together, Yervoy IL2 and on and on. That's why he's Patient #1. He did O.K, but is now doing Merk Anti-pd1 in Ft. Lauderdale and had nice first scan results. Stay focused on the fight and you'll do well! You have lots of supoort and brillant people on these boards. When your at Angeles ask about the tiral Jonathan is in. And the Yervoy/Anti-PD1……….

Regards,

Wendy

Catherine posted a while ago about this trial of a drug currently called DEDN6526A by Genentech/Roche – details at clinicaltrials.gov, trial NCT01522664. It uses something called ADC technology, which is the hottest wrinkle in cancer therapy these days, and this is the first ADC drug specifically aimed at melanoma. The first ADC drug to be FDA approved "came out" 2 weeks ago, for Her-2 breast cancer, the most aggressive form. Many more ADC drugs are "in the trial pipeline" at present, and you'll likely hear about them soon if you haven't already. 

WendyPam
            Participant

Hi Holly,

Regards,

Wendy

joy_
              Participant

Hi Holly & Dave,

I am sorry that Zelboraf is not doing its thing anymore.  My husband and I just returned from a trip to Moffitt where Dr. Weber recommended PD1 as the next stop for him if or when Zelboraf stops working.  My husband has already been on a trial with Yervoy.  Based on my experience, it seems the Yervoy/Nivolumab trial would be worth looking into or another BRAF trial.  Moffitt is an excellent place!  

Best of luck! 

Tracy

joy_
                Participant

Hi Holly & Dave,

I am sorry that Zelboraf is not doing its thing anymore.  My husband and I just returned from a trip to Moffitt where Dr. Weber recommended PD1 as the next stop for him if or when Zelboraf stops working.  My husband has already been on a trial with Yervoy.  Based on my experience, it seems the Yervoy/Nivolumab trial would be worth looking into or another BRAF trial.  Moffitt is an excellent place!  

Best of luck! 

Tracy

joy_
                  Participant

Hi Holly & Dave,

Best of luck! 

Tracy

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics