The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf patients…any sunscreen recommendations?

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf patients…any sunscreen recommendations?

Participant

The photosensitivity on Zel is no joke! My family and I attended a local annual parade recently…I had on long sleeves, pants, shoes, a scarf covering my head with a hat, sun glasses and sun screen (UVP 50) on my face, lips and ear lobes (the only parts exposed) and sat in the shade. But to no avail I still managed to burn, blistering all that was exposed. I have even burned during my brief work commute (and I wear sunscreen diligently). Anytime I am in the sun within 5 minutes I feel an acid-like burn. 

The photosensitivity on Zel is no joke! My family and I attended a local annual parade recently…I had on long sleeves, pants, shoes, a scarf covering my head with a hat, sun glasses and sun screen (UVP 50) on my face, lips and ear lobes (the only parts exposed) and sat in the shade. But to no avail I still managed to burn, blistering all that was exposed. I have even burned during my brief work commute (and I wear sunscreen diligently). Anytime I am in the sun within 5 minutes I feel an acid-like burn. 

What has worked or helped for other folks on Zel? My hubby had a special UV protective tint applied to our vehicle windows, I have purchased some UVP clothing…but I refuse to stay inside and not enjoy summer time with my family!

I would love to hear from others going through this.

Best,

Amy

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bruce Davis
        Participant
          I also refuse to stay indoors while I’m able to go out. I have yet to cover myself 100% when staying out for long periods of time. Today it was about a 2″ square on my wrist. Last weekend it was small spots on both thumbs that the 1/4″ tall blisters subsided two days ago. We need to invent some kind of scanner that tells the spots we miss with lotion..ha. I’ve been on zel 9 months and still havn’ t learned.

Bruce

Richard_K
            Participant

Bruce

For what it’s worth, I’ve been on Zelboraf for some 28 months and I still manage to miss some area. (lol)

Dick

Amy

Richard_K
              Participant

Bruce

For what it’s worth, I’ve been on Zelboraf for some 28 months and I still manage to miss some area. (lol)

Dick

Amy

Richard_K
                Participant

Bruce

Dick

Amy

Bruce Davis
                Participant
                  I also refuse to stay indoors while I’m able to go out. I have yet to cover myself 100% when staying out for long periods of time. Today it was about a 2″ square on my wrist. Last weekend it was small spots on both thumbs that the 1/4″ tall blisters subsided two days ago. We need to invent some kind of scanner that tells the spots we miss with lotion..ha. I’ve been on zel 9 months and still havn’ t learned.

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                  Participant

Bruce

Richard_K
                    Participant

Amy

So sorry to hear about your sun problems; it sure sounds as if you are hypersensitive to the photosensitivity side effects.  It also sounds as if the only real problem is the areas where you need to use sunscreen as opposed to sun-protective clothing.

In order to not violate the MRF “Terms of Use” policy, I will e-mail you directly with the name of the product I use.  It’s an SPF 55 broad spectrum sunscreen that’s available over the counter, doesn’t feel oily or greasy after it’s on and has no real odor.   Don’t forget, it takes some time for the chemicals to establish and start the protection.  If you go right out into the sun after applying, you will have no to minimum protection for the first 20-30 minutes.

Dick

Laurie from maine
                        Participant

Hi,

I remember how bad it was when I was on zelboraf.  My lips were a big one for me, kepts lip sunblock with me all the time.    I bought the light uv protection clothing and tried to find a flattering hat(tried is the word there ha).   BUt like you I still missed spots and even with protection found being out in full sun from 10-2 for more than 5 minutes standing still caused me pain and i had to find shade.  I did try to plan my outside time around earlier or later hours so I could enjoy being outside without worrying about the burn so much.  Good luck!

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

Hi,

I remember how bad it was when I was on zelboraf.  My lips were a big one for me, kepts lip sunblock with me all the time.    I bought the light uv protection clothing and tried to find a flattering hat(tried is the word there ha).   BUt like you I still missed spots and even with protection found being out in full sun from 10-2 for more than 5 minutes standing still caused me pain and i had to find shade.  I did try to plan my outside time around earlier or later hours so I could enjoy being outside without worrying about the burn so much.  Good luck!

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

Hi,

laurie from maine

H555
                              Participant

Dick – i'm 3 weeks away from a trip to Kenya to visit our son in the Peace Corps. I'd love to find out what you recommend plz. thank you.

H555
                                Participant

Dick – i'm 3 weeks away from a trip to Kenya to visit our son in the Peace Corps. I'd love to find out what you recommend plz. thank you.

Richard_K
                                  Participant

Just sent to you via e-mail.  Hope it works for you also and you have a great trip.

Dick

Richard_K
                                    Participant

Just sent to you via e-mail.  Hope it works for you also and you have a great trip.

Dick

Richard_K
                                      Participant

Dick

H555
                                        Participant

Cindy33
                                          Participant

Hi,

I would like to know the name of the sunscreen. If possible an email would be great. Thanks so much and best wishes to you all.

Cindh

Cindy33
                                            Participant

Hi,

I would like to know the name of the sunscreen. If possible an email would be great. Thanks so much and best wishes to you all.

Cindh

Richard_K
                                              Participant

Cindy

Just sent.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                Participant

Cindy

Just sent.

Dick

Janner
                                                  Participant

You know, posting the name would be kinder than sending emails because other lurkers could learn from your experience, too.  I've learned over the years that there are many more lurkers than posters on this site.

Janner
                                                    Participant

You know, posting the name would be kinder than sending emails because other lurkers could learn from your experience, too.  I've learned over the years that there are many more lurkers than posters on this site.

Richard_K
                                                      Participant

Janner

Good point, so here goes.  The sunscreen I use is a Johnson & Johnson product, “Aveeno”, “Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion”, SPF 55.  Don’t forget in order to get the maximum protection it needs to be applied prior to direct sun exposure and periodically reapplied.

From a disclosure point of view, I am a retired accountant from an industrial manufacturing company; no ties to Johnson & Johnson.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                        Participant

Janner

Good point, so here goes.  The sunscreen I use is a Johnson & Johnson product, “Aveeno”, “Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion”, SPF 55.  Don’t forget in order to get the maximum protection it needs to be applied prior to direct sun exposure and periodically reapplied.

From a disclosure point of view, I am a retired accountant from an industrial manufacturing company; no ties to Johnson & Johnson.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                          Participant

No idea what happened to this post.  The product is "Aveeno", "Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion", SPF 55.  Hope this one turns out better.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                            Participant

No idea what happened to this post.  The product is "Aveeno", "Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion", SPF 55.  Hope this one turns out better.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                Participant

Janner

Dick

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Richard_K
                                                                    Participant

Cindy

Just sent.

Dick

Cindy33
                                                                      Participant

Hi,

Cindh

Richard_K
                                                                      Participant

Amy

So sorry to hear about your sun problems; it sure sounds as if you are hypersensitive to the photosensitivity side effects.  It also sounds as if the only real problem is the areas where you need to use sunscreen as opposed to sun-protective clothing.

In order to not violate the MRF “Terms of Use” policy, I will e-mail you directly with the name of the product I use.  It’s an SPF 55 broad spectrum sunscreen that’s available over the counter, doesn’t feel oily or greasy after it’s on and has no real odor.   Don’t forget, it takes some time for the chemicals to establish and start the protection.  If you go right out into the sun after applying, you will have no to minimum protection for the first 20-30 minutes.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                        Participant

Amy

Dick

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics