The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf long time user

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf long time user

Participant

Hi,

My dad has Malignant Melanoma for the past 7 month. He had a tumor removed from his head, radiation to the area, prescribed Tafinlar for 3.5 month but was taking off due to hard side effects, and now he started using Zelboraf. I am looking for someone who has been using this medication for a long time (maybe years) who can shed some light on his day to day life with this drug. How bad are the side effects.

Thank you and be well,

Tal

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        uccio2014
        Participant

My wife is under zelboraf since august 2014 and it is still working

in first days all melanoma syntoms went away and at first scan there was tumor strink in size and number, so well in second and in third (but less)

She had collateral effect as  rush fever hair lost muscolar pain all in the first mouths, but no one was too eavy and went on for less then a week. 

She is able to go out in sunny days with sun glasses and sun cream

We are really happy with it , but of course warning and caring about any syntom

Kopetz
            Participant

Thanks for the reply! 

My dad started having rashes all over his legs today. Hopefully they will go away and the next scan will come out good.

I wish your wife fast recovery!

Kopetz
              Participant

Thanks for the reply! 

My dad started having rashes all over his legs today. Hopefully they will go away and the next scan will come out good.

Kopetz
                Participant

Thanks for the reply! 

uccio2014
                Participant

in first days all melanoma syntoms went away and at first scan there was tumor strink in size and number, so well in second and in third (but less)

She had collateral effect as  rush fever hair lost muscolar pain all in the first mouths, but no one was too eavy and went on for less then a week. 

uccio2014
                  Participant

Linda56
                    Participant
                      Hello Tal,
                      Please find hereafter my history on BRAF :

Diagnostic : stage IV in June 2012 – no primary found

Metastasis in lung/kidney/abdomen and several tumors underneath the skin on the whole body.

Poor prognosis : six to nine months, but this prognosis changed rapidly when lab results showed that I was BRAF positive. There was light again at the end of the tunnel !

BRAF inhibitor Zelboraf since August 2012

PET and CT scan every two months since then.

All tumors shrinking and dissappearing quickly. The first months severe side effects : complete hair loss, sore hands and feet, skin problems, etc… I think I went through almost every side effect that was listed in the patient information. But the longer, the more the side effects easened. My hair is now back to normal again. However, the sun sensitivity never got better on Zelboraf.

NED in May 2013

In March 2014, I started the BRAF/MEK combo (Dabrafenib/Trametinib)

Immediate relief on my feet and hands and also the sun sensitivity was much better. I am now able to go into the sun (with sunscreen) without any problems. No major side effects so far. 

In April 2014 the PET scan showed a possible metastasis in the sacrum bone area. After MRI, it was decided to do radiotherapy treatment, but just before the start of the treatment, the pain was gone and so it was decided to wait until the next scan which was one month later.

The spot had not changed in growth and so nothing was done.

In August 2014 I made a bad fall and broke my hip (result hip prothesis and subsequent revalidation).

In September 2014 I had my usual scan, but due to my accident, there were too much areas of inflammation and the doctors concluded that this was probably due to my accident because of my injuries during the fall. 

The next scan was planned in November 2014 and I received a very good report : completely NED again.

Since then the scan is planned every three months. The last scan beginning of February showed also NED.

As far as the side effects are concerned, I can say that especially at the start of the medication they were very severe, but at the long term they have become very manageable. 
                      I am now 33 months on the BRAF medication and NED; my next scan is in May.
                      I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Linda

Linda56
                      Participant
                        Hello Tal,

Metastasis in lung/kidney/abdomen and several tumors underneath the skin on the whole body.

Poor prognosis : six to nine months, but this prognosis changed rapidly when lab results showed that I was BRAF positive. There was light again at the end of the tunnel !

All tumors shrinking and dissappearing quickly. The first months severe side effects : complete hair loss, sore hands and feet, skin problems, etc… I think I went through almost every side effect that was listed in the patient information. But the longer, the more the side effects easened. My hair is now back to normal again. However, the sun sensitivity never got better on Zelboraf.

NED in May 2013

Immediate relief on my feet and hands and also the sun sensitivity was much better. I am now able to go into the sun (with sunscreen) without any problems. No major side effects so far. 

In April 2014 the PET scan showed a possible metastasis in the sacrum bone area. After MRI, it was decided to do radiotherapy treatment, but just before the start of the treatment, the pain was gone and so it was decided to wait until the next scan which was one month later.

In August 2014 I made a bad fall and broke my hip (result hip prothesis and subsequent revalidation).

In September 2014 I had my usual scan, but due to my accident, there were too much areas of inflammation and the doctors concluded that this was probably due to my accident because of my injuries during the fall. 

The next scan was planned in November 2014 and I received a very good report : completely NED again.

Since then the scan is planned every three months. The last scan beginning of February showed also NED.

As far as the side effects are concerned, I can say that especially at the start of the medication they were very severe, but at the long term they have become very manageable. 
                        I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Linda

Linda56
                        Participant
                          Hello Tal,

NED in May 2013

I hope this helps.

Kind regards.

Linda

Bruce Davis
                          Participant

My side effects at first, the first month to 2 months; painful lower legs, and arms from elbow through hands. Pain would switch from Left side to Right side, sometimes legs and sometimes arms or both, seemed like arthritic pain. Thats what stands out to me for the first couple of months as being the worst.

I think people suffer from different side effects. The sun has always been difficult. Missing 1 little spot with sun-tan lotion can turn into 2nd degree burn for me after short period of time.

After about 3 months a diabetic like nerve pain went to the bottom-front of my feet. That lasted a long time months without relief, even tried cortizone shots in bottom of feet without relief. Maybe the side-effects…pain goes to the weakest parts of your body. I have high arches in feet and ran marathons. Arthritis in legs and hands.

I've been fortunate, Zelboraf shrunk the tumors in lungs significantly as I was facing 6 months to a year to live back in sept. of 2011. CT scans and blood work has come back well always. So the side effects I would say were minimal.

I was able to work for 2 1/2 years taking Zelboraf. The last year has brought fatigue and some nausea, foot pain and fluid in legs. If possible the best thing is to keep active!

Hope this helps your father and I wish him the best!

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                            Participant

My side effects at first, the first month to 2 months; painful lower legs, and arms from elbow through hands. Pain would switch from Left side to Right side, sometimes legs and sometimes arms or both, seemed like arthritic pain. Thats what stands out to me for the first couple of months as being the worst.

I think people suffer from different side effects. The sun has always been difficult. Missing 1 little spot with sun-tan lotion can turn into 2nd degree burn for me after short period of time.

After about 3 months a diabetic like nerve pain went to the bottom-front of my feet. That lasted a long time months without relief, even tried cortizone shots in bottom of feet without relief. Maybe the side-effects…pain goes to the weakest parts of your body. I have high arches in feet and ran marathons. Arthritis in legs and hands.

I've been fortunate, Zelboraf shrunk the tumors in lungs significantly as I was facing 6 months to a year to live back in sept. of 2011. CT scans and blood work has come back well always. So the side effects I would say were minimal.

I was able to work for 2 1/2 years taking Zelboraf. The last year has brought fatigue and some nausea, foot pain and fluid in legs. If possible the best thing is to keep active!

Bruce

Bruce Davis
                              Participant

Bruce

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics