The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf – liver functions tests abnormal off Zelboraf for over a week

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf – liver functions tests abnormal off Zelboraf for over a week

Participant

My husband has been on Zelboraf for almost 3 months when his oncologist told him to take a break from Zelboraf because his blood work results are showing his liver is being compromised (bilirubine, alkaline numbers, etc. are high).  We don't know at this point if this is due to the chemo or cancer.  Since being off Zelboraf, about  7 days now there has been some improvement in liver #'s, but they haven't lowered enough to go back on to Zelboraf according to oncologist.  My husband has a ct scan this Wednesday to see what is going on.&

My husband has been on Zelboraf for almost 3 months when his oncologist told him to take a break from Zelboraf because his blood work results are showing his liver is being compromised (bilirubine, alkaline numbers, etc. are high).  We don't know at this point if this is due to the chemo or cancer.  Since being off Zelboraf, about  7 days now there has been some improvement in liver #'s, but they haven't lowered enough to go back on to Zelboraf according to oncologist.  My husband has a ct scan this Wednesday to see what is going on.  His original cancer pain since starting Zelboraf has gone away so we're hopeful it is working.  If there is liver damage I wonder if he'll be able to go back on the treatment or pursue another treatment (we've been looking into Yervoy and clinical trials).

Has anyone out there had a similar path? 

Thanks for any helpful responses.

Remaining hopeful. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant
          This happened to my husband. It was from an interaction between his anti seizure meds after his craniotomy (even though they were supposed to be safe to take with Zelboraf). Now, anytime he takes any meds (OTC or prescription), his liver and bilirubin levels go up. He dropped to 3 Zelboraf 2 times a day and it seems to help. His oncologist is fine with the liver levels elevated for short periods of time when he needs an additional medicine, but he tries not to take anything unless absolutely necessary. FYI…his 6 month scans on Zelboraf were ok…3 small rumors that aren’t growing (or shrinking), so it seems to be working just fine.
            hcastle
            Participant

Thanks for your reply; it is helpful as my husband takes additional meds too for chronic pain. Best to you and your husband.

hcastle
              Participant

Thanks for your reply; it is helpful as my husband takes additional meds too for chronic pain. Best to you and your husband.

hcastle
                Participant

jmmm
                Participant
                  This happened to my husband. It was from an interaction between his anti seizure meds after his craniotomy (even though they were supposed to be safe to take with Zelboraf). Now, anytime he takes any meds (OTC or prescription), his liver and bilirubin levels go up. He dropped to 3 Zelboraf 2 times a day and it seems to help. His oncologist is fine with the liver levels elevated for short periods of time when he needs an additional medicine, but he tries not to take anything unless absolutely necessary. FYI…his 6 month scans on Zelboraf were ok…3 small rumors that aren’t growing (or shrinking), so it seems to be working just fine.
                  jmmm
                  Participant
                    beatricefromPARIS
                    Participant

Hi

I just had Zelboraf for a month and a half at full dose and ….full sample of the registered side effects plus ones that were not on the manufacturer's list such as strange ear noises and hearing changes!

Had to stop because of fatigue and also liver could not take it. Fever appeared and liver enzyms levels went suddendly sky-rocketing. I think it is the combination of Zelboraf plus med for joint pain (ketoprofen) that did it. Liver took two weeks to go back to nearly normal levels.

BUT

scan results at 8 weeks were VERY good with significant decrease and only two visible tumors left!

So I am about to start Zelboraf again at half dose together with low dose cortico-steroid.

hcastle
                        Participant

Thanks very much Beatrice.  Happy to read about your scan results.  Best wishes for continued success.

hcastle
                          Participant

Thanks very much Beatrice.  Happy to read about your scan results.  Best wishes for continued success.

hcastle
                            Participant

beatricefromPARIS
                            Participant

Hi

I just had Zelboraf for a month and a half at full dose and ….full sample of the registered side effects plus ones that were not on the manufacturer's list such as strange ear noises and hearing changes!

Had to stop because of fatigue and also liver could not take it. Fever appeared and liver enzyms levels went suddendly sky-rocketing. I think it is the combination of Zelboraf plus med for joint pain (ketoprofen) that did it. Liver took two weeks to go back to nearly normal levels.

BUT

scan results at 8 weeks were VERY good with significant decrease and only two visible tumors left!

So I am about to start Zelboraf again at half dose together with low dose cortico-steroid.

beatricefromPARIS
                              Participant

Hi

BUT

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics