The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf and photosensitivity

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf and photosensitivity

Participant
      I’ve told my dad numerous times to cover up if he even travels to the grocery store…he didn’t listen and has photosensitivity to his face. Has anyone had this and if so how did you treat it? He will now be wearing a hat I gave him and long sleeves. I don’t think he realized how harsh it is.

Thanks!
      M

I’ve told my dad numerous times to cover up if he even travels to the grocery store…he didn’t listen and has photosensitivity to his face. Has anyone had this and if so how did you treat it? He will now be wearing a hat I gave him and long sleeves. I don’t think he realized how harsh it is.

Thanks!
      M

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        AndyT
        Participant

Photosensitivity is a very common side effect with zelboraf. My wife also had – she would get sunburns after only a couple of (unintentional) minutes in the sun, even in autumn and winter  You need to use strong sunscreens and most of all cover everything and avoid the sun, the sunbrnes can be nasty, you learn very soon. Do aslo pay attention to quality od shades in case of umbrellas, gazeboos etc. (UV protection).

All the best to your dad, stay corageous at all times:)

Andy

AndyT
          Participant

Photosensitivity is a very common side effect with zelboraf. My wife also had – she would get sunburns after only a couple of (unintentional) minutes in the sun, even in autumn and winter  You need to use strong sunscreens and most of all cover everything and avoid the sun, the sunbrnes can be nasty, you learn very soon. Do aslo pay attention to quality od shades in case of umbrellas, gazeboos etc. (UV protection).

Andy

AndyT
            Participant

Andy

bj63
              Participant

He definitely needs to cover up.  Don't forget to protect the lips, too.  I'm on Zelboraf and while I covered up and wore sunscreen, I didn't protect my lips and I sunburned my lower lip pretty badly over the 4th of July weekend.  It was an experience I don't care to repeat.  I also sunburned my uncovered arm after driving for just a couple hours with the sun shining in the car window.  After getting burned a couple of times I take the sun protection very seriously.

If he does get burned, treatment is the same as any sunburn. If the burn is mild, with reddening of the skin but no oozing or blistering, shower or rinse with cool water for about 20 minutes to cool the skin (don't use ice!).  Pat the skin dry and slather up with copius quantities of aloe vera gel.  If the burn is more severe, with any kind of oozing, blistering, or crusting, consult a doctor.

bj63
                Participant

He definitely needs to cover up.  Don't forget to protect the lips, too.  I'm on Zelboraf and while I covered up and wore sunscreen, I didn't protect my lips and I sunburned my lower lip pretty badly over the 4th of July weekend.  It was an experience I don't care to repeat.  I also sunburned my uncovered arm after driving for just a couple hours with the sun shining in the car window.  After getting burned a couple of times I take the sun protection very seriously.

If he does get burned, treatment is the same as any sunburn. If the burn is mild, with reddening of the skin but no oozing or blistering, shower or rinse with cool water for about 20 minutes to cool the skin (don't use ice!).  Pat the skin dry and slather up with copius quantities of aloe vera gel.  If the burn is more severe, with any kind of oozing, blistering, or crusting, consult a doctor.

bj63
                  Participant

mclaus23
                    Participant
                      Thank you both VERY much.
                      This helps greatly!!
                      mclaus23
                      Participant
                        This helps greatly!!
                        mclaus23
                        Participant
                          This helps greatly!!
                          Tina D
                          Participant

I took zelboraf last year for 6 months and I was astonished at how easily and quickly I burned in the sun. I had to carry something to protect my skin from the sun while riding in the car, a parasol anytime I was outside AT ALL, sunscreen ( not forgetting the lips) and long sleeves, etc. Oh… and my hubby bought me a bunch of wide-brimmed hats. I do not think the Drs stress enough just how sever the photosensitivty is. Sorry he got such a bad burn ๐Ÿ™  

Tina

Tina D
                            Participant

I took zelboraf last year for 6 months and I was astonished at how easily and quickly I burned in the sun. I had to carry something to protect my skin from the sun while riding in the car, a parasol anytime I was outside AT ALL, sunscreen ( not forgetting the lips) and long sleeves, etc. Oh… and my hubby bought me a bunch of wide-brimmed hats. I do not think the Drs stress enough just how sever the photosensitivty is. Sorry he got such a bad burn ๐Ÿ™  

Tina

Tina D
                              Participant

Tina

Richard_K
                                Participant

The photosensitivity can be a real problem.  Sorry to have to tell you, but at least for me, it does not get any better with time.  In addition to all the other advice you ave received, I had the side windows of my truck tinted with a high SPF rated film; it made a huge difference while driving.

Best of luck

Richard_K
                                  Participant

The photosensitivity can be a real problem.  Sorry to have to tell you, but at least for me, it does not get any better with time.  In addition to all the other advice you ave received, I had the side windows of my truck tinted with a high SPF rated film; it made a huge difference while driving.

Best of luck

Richard_K
                                    Participant

Best of luck

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics