The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

zelbo, forever? and nutrition?

Forums General Melanoma Community zelbo, forever? and nutrition?

Participant

Hi all

After one month on Zelboraf, palpable tumors have greatly reduced but I find it very tiring.  Basically I stay in bed over 50% of the day, whereas before I was in much better shape before (apart from mel growing!).

The joint pain is high but not the same every day. I was wondering whether it can be impacted by nutrition. Should I reduce dairy products for example? Has anybody noticed any such correlation?

I take the 4 pills away from meals but it seems that the lab is now changing its guidance on this to "during meals". Confusing!

Hi all

After one month on Zelboraf, palpable tumors have greatly reduced but I find it very tiring.  Basically I stay in bed over 50% of the day, whereas before I was in much better shape before (apart from mel growing!).

The joint pain is high but not the same every day. I was wondering whether it can be impacted by nutrition. Should I reduce dairy products for example? Has anybody noticed any such correlation?

I take the 4 pills away from meals but it seems that the lab is now changing its guidance on this to "during meals". Confusing!

Also, I keep reading on the net about successful stage IV Zelboraf patients who have been taking it for many months/even years…That's nice because it means it is working ! But my first impression is that the quality of life can be low…  

Is there anyone around who took Zelboraf, became NED and could stop the medication?

Beatrice Stage IV since feb 2009, 7th treatment underway.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I am on Anti PD 1 and my basic trial is two twelve weeks with anti PD 1 infusion and 6 peptide injections in my thighs every 2 weeks…after that it went to infusions of anti pd 1 once every 3 months with scans.I do these for 2 years.  I have about 2 or 3 of the infusions left in the trial…BUT my onc says if I remain NED he believes I shold consider taking ti basically forever…I know I do not have the energy anymore and I have some joint and knuckle pain now and again…but considering I am stage 4 and being NED for 2 years now I don't  want to stop taking it. If I did and it comes back I don't think I coudl handle it….I think considering all things I am just going to have to push myself and get some energy back…I have been sitting on my butt waiting to die for so long and realize now I am going to live…I think part of my lack of energy has to do with my thyroid be fired and having some depression on and off. Life is now all about changes and I need to adjust.

LynnLuc
          Participant

I am on Anti PD 1 and my basic trial is two twelve weeks with anti PD 1 infusion and 6 peptide injections in my thighs every 2 weeks…after that it went to infusions of anti pd 1 once every 3 months with scans.I do these for 2 years.  I have about 2 or 3 of the infusions left in the trial…BUT my onc says if I remain NED he believes I shold consider taking ti basically forever…I know I do not have the energy anymore and I have some joint and knuckle pain now and again…but considering I am stage 4 and being NED for 2 years now I don't  want to stop taking it. If I did and it comes back I don't think I coudl handle it….I think considering all things I am just going to have to push myself and get some energy back…I have been sitting on my butt waiting to die for so long and realize now I am going to live…I think part of my lack of energy has to do with my thyroid be fired and having some depression on and off. Life is now all about changes and I need to adjust.

LynnLuc
            Participant

Richard_K
              Participant

Beatrice

I almost always take my pills shortly after breakfast and dinner and I have made no significant changes to my diet since starting Zelboraf. (I don't have the same desire for sweets as I remember but part of that is helping my wife to diet by keeping them out of the house as much as possible.)

As to your comment about "quality of life", I have learned to adjust where needed.  I used to love working in the garden but now have to take extra sun precautions that to some degree limit my gardening. Some days my feet hurt more than others and my knees are sore (arthritis?).  But, I can definitely say that I do not feel like I have anything except a high quality of life.

Dick

Richard_K
                Participant

Beatrice

I almost always take my pills shortly after breakfast and dinner and I have made no significant changes to my diet since starting Zelboraf. (I don't have the same desire for sweets as I remember but part of that is helping my wife to diet by keeping them out of the house as much as possible.)

As to your comment about "quality of life", I have learned to adjust where needed.  I used to love working in the garden but now have to take extra sun precautions that to some degree limit my gardening. Some days my feet hurt more than others and my knees are sore (arthritis?).  But, I can definitely say that I do not feel like I have anything except a high quality of life.

Dick

Richard_K
                  Participant

Beatrice

Dick

mbaelaporte
                    Participant

Hello Beatrice

not so much answer to your question but some more life exposure from someone who has experienced your Zelboraf therapy

I began w/ Z in June or so last year w / very impressive, tactile tumors and within 4 days there was dramatic shrinkage and after drug trial scan protocol ( thinking 8 weeks ) my Doc came in & addressed me Mr Remission

after 7 months or so disease had surmounted a workaround and after a brief non therapy window I have begun Yervoy ( Ipi ) and am enjoying good results

much of what I know is from this very board & I read of those w/ results that mirror mine & those that continue ( maybe in reduced potency ) Zelboraf  w/ success for years onward

and with the successes come side effects as you are experiencing

hoping w/ Spring comes more juice in your step

mbaelaporte
                      Participant

Hello Beatrice

not so much answer to your question but some more life exposure from someone who has experienced your Zelboraf therapy

I began w/ Z in June or so last year w / very impressive, tactile tumors and within 4 days there was dramatic shrinkage and after drug trial scan protocol ( thinking 8 weeks ) my Doc came in & addressed me Mr Remission

after 7 months or so disease had surmounted a workaround and after a brief non therapy window I have begun Yervoy ( Ipi ) and am enjoying good results

much of what I know is from this very board & I read of those w/ results that mirror mine & those that continue ( maybe in reduced potency ) Zelboraf  w/ success for years onward

mbaelaporte
                        Participant

Hello Beatrice

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics