The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yttrium90 for liver mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Yttrium90 for liver mets

Participant

Does anyone have any experience wiht Yttruim 90 for liver mets? Any insight would be welcome please.

Does anyone have any experience wiht Yttruim 90 for liver mets? Any insight would be welcome please.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

It's spelled Yttruim-90. There is a trial in San Fran, Calif. It is Phase two, but I do not believe anyone here is on it.

Pub Med shows that one person of 11 had a complete response, while all showed some type of response.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19219675

I seeyou were stage one, you have not updated profile, you progressed?

MichaelFL
          Participant

It's spelled Yttruim-90. There is a trial in San Fran, Calif. It is Phase two, but I do not believe anyone here is on it.

Pub Med shows that one person of 11 had a complete response, while all showed some type of response.

Staci
              Participant

Thank God I am still stage one. My dad however developed ocular melanoma 3 years ago and it has now spread to his liver. Thanks for the trial info. Apparently they told him because of the size of one of the liver mets 10cm x 7 cm he is not elgible for any clinical trials but Dr. Chesney developed this technique. I havent gotten the full scoop yet as his appointment just ended and they are on their way back home.

Staci
                Participant

Thank God I am still stage one. My dad however developed ocular melanoma 3 years ago and it has now spread to his liver. Thanks for the trial info. Apparently they told him because of the size of one of the liver mets 10cm x 7 cm he is not elgible for any clinical trials but Dr. Chesney developed this technique. I havent gotten the full scoop yet as his appointment just ended and they are on their way back home.

Staci
                  Participant

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Tim–MRF

The use of Yttrium 90 for liver metastases has been studied for a few years now.  Two companies have products that do this–Sirtex (product is SirSpheres) and Theraspheres.  They both use microscopic capsules to capture the radioactive element, then inject tons of those capsules into the liver.  The Theraspheres are larger and, I believe, made of glass.  SirSpheres are a polymer and are quite a bit smaller.  Some feel that the smaller size provides an added benefit of clogging up the microscopic blood supply around the tumor.

These approach has been used extensively in colorectal cancer, with some positive results.  And a number of people in the ocular melanoma space are exploring it as well.

The treatment shrinks the tumor in many cases.

I am happy to talk one-on-one about this if you want.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

202/347-9675

Staci
                        Participant

Thanks Tim…I sent you an email.

Staci
                          Participant

Staci
                            Participant

Tim–MRF

Staci:

I didn't get a note!  Can you try again at:

[email protected]

or try my cell:  202 999-8675

Tim

Tim–MRF

Staci:

[email protected]

Tim

Tim–MRF

Staci:

[email protected]

Tim

boot2aboot
                                    Participant

i will check this out

boot2aboot
                                      Participant

i will check this out

boot2aboot
                                        Participant

i will check this out

Tim–MRF

The use of Yttrium 90 for liver metastases has been studied for a few years now.  Two companies have products that do this–Sirtex (product is SirSpheres) and Theraspheres.  They both use microscopic capsules to capture the radioactive element, then inject tons of those capsules into the liver.  The Theraspheres are larger and, I believe, made of glass.  SirSpheres are a polymer and are quite a bit smaller.  Some feel that the smaller size provides an added benefit of clogging up the microscopic blood supply around the tumor.

These approach has been used extensively in colorectal cancer, with some positive results.  And a number of people in the ocular melanoma space are exploring it as well.

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

202/347-9675

Tim–MRF

Hope this helps.

Tim–MRF

202/347-9675

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics