The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

You know if an SUV of 2.7 on PET-CT (iliac nodes) is indicative of malignancy?

Forums General Melanoma Community You know if an SUV of 2.7 on PET-CT (iliac nodes) is indicative of malignancy?

Participant

Hi! My husband was diagnosed in 2012 stage3a melanoma , because he had micrometastasis in the sentinel node , the rest (12)  were clean. He had in 2012, 38 years old. He started in October 2012 with high doses of pegylated interferon for two months and after that continuous average dose to date. He was positive despite the side effects of pegylated interferon and was determined to complete the two years of treatment. He had from the diagnostic CT every 6 months thank God for all normal except when some nodes increased in size. So the oncologist  decided to make a pet. The result is very bad, there are many hot spots in the pelvis iliac chains, with SUV 2,7  other 2,1 other 1,5. The internal organs are clean.

The oncologist said he can not be certain that these nodes have melanoma and he can not make biopsy because nodes are too small. So he recommended repeat the pet in two months.  The oncologist believes nodes shine in the pet because they are inflamed by interferon. Also said that the iliac nodes can not be removed with surgery, that's very bad news….. you know if iliac nodes can not be removed with surgery? We are very distressed, so next week will see another doctor.

You know if an SUV of 2.7 on PET-CT (iliac nodes) is indicative of malignancy?

Thanks to all

regards

Gaby

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

I can't tell you what an SUV of 2.7 means.

But here's what I do know:

* PET scans can show false positives

* Lymph nodes that are increased in size aren't necessary indicative of melanoma. They could be reactive nodes inflamed by the interferon just as the doctor said.

You had mentioned in your note that the internal organs are clean, so that's a very good thing. To me it sounds like your husband's doctor is just being cautious when he recommended doing another PET in 2 months. The doctor could just as easily have told him this was nothing to worry about.

I can certainly understand the stress you are going through. I think talking to another doctor is a good idea. Hopefully he or she will be able to put you at ease.

Linny
          Participant

* Lymph nodes that are increased in size aren't necessary indicative of melanoma. They could be reactive nodes inflamed by the interferon just as the doctor said.

You had mentioned in your note that the internal organs are clean, so that's a very good thing. To me it sounds like your husband's doctor is just being cautious when he recommended doing another PET in 2 months. The doctor could just as easily have told him this was nothing to worry about.

I can certainly understand the stress you are going through. I think talking to another doctor is a good idea. Hopefully he or she will be able to put you at ease.

Linny
            Participant

Kim K
              Participant

I remember researching this topic.  I believe most PET facilities have what they call "cut off" values and in general a consistant number over 2.5 SUV is indicative of cancer.  2.7 is very close to the boarderline and the rest below it.

Interferon also interferes with the lymphnodes and activity levels.

The main issue is when they take the second scan several minutes later ex. 30 min., did the SUV continue to rise?  That is more damning for cancer.

You will also read articles about false positives, causes, and SUV uptake behavior.  Your results are confounded by the interferon, and the one node is borderline at best.  PET is only an indicator of metabolic activity.  Usually mel is very metabolic and loves to take up the glucose in very high levels, thus it tends to "light up like an x-mas tree" versus other cancers.

The decision to rescan in a few months while unnerving during the wait, sounds like a reasonable choice of action.  Try to stay busy until then, think about your next options if it is mel, and when it comes back OK, breath a huge sigh of relief.

Hope it all turns out well.

Kim K
                Participant

I remember researching this topic.  I believe most PET facilities have what they call "cut off" values and in general a consistant number over 2.5 SUV is indicative of cancer.  2.7 is very close to the boarderline and the rest below it.

The main issue is when they take the second scan several minutes later ex. 30 min., did the SUV continue to rise?  That is more damning for cancer.

You will also read articles about false positives, causes, and SUV uptake behavior.  Your results are confounded by the interferon, and the one node is borderline at best.  PET is only an indicator of metabolic activity.  Usually mel is very metabolic and loves to take up the glucose in very high levels, thus it tends to "light up like an x-mas tree" versus other cancers.

The decision to rescan in a few months while unnerving during the wait, sounds like a reasonable choice of action.  Try to stay busy until then, think about your next options if it is mel, and when it comes back OK, breath a huge sigh of relief.

Kim K
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics