The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

yervoy side effects and work schedule

Forums General Melanoma Community yervoy side effects and work schedule

Participant

I am currently on zelboraf but I'm considering switching to yervoy. Is there anyone who has continued to work full time while on yervoy or are the side effects too much? Right nowIi am working two 12 hour days a week. I'm wondering if i can continue this if i go to yervoy infusions. 

I am currently on zelboraf but I'm considering switching to yervoy. Is there anyone who has continued to work full time while on yervoy or are the side effects too much? Right nowIi am working two 12 hour days a week. I'm wondering if i can continue this if i go to yervoy infusions. 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Rocco
        Participant

I was on the MDX-010 trial (Yevoy) and worked full time throughout.  I experienced some side effects and was placed on high dose steroids and still managed to work full time.   Everyone is different of course, but there have been many of us on the bulletin board that worked full time during the treatment.  Best of luck to you…

Rocco
          Participant

I was on the MDX-010 trial (Yevoy) and worked full time throughout.  I experienced some side effects and was placed on high dose steroids and still managed to work full time.   Everyone is different of course, but there have been many of us on the bulletin board that worked full time during the treatment.  Best of luck to you…

Rocco
            Participant

gabsound
              Participant
                I have done two rounds of IPI and have continued my current work schedule. For me that is 3 1/2 days a week. This treatment for me was easier than interferon and way easier than being in the hospital for biochemo.

Good luck to you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                Participant
                  I have done two rounds of IPI and have continued my current work schedule. For me that is 3 1/2 days a week. This treatment for me was easier than interferon and way easier than being in the hospital for biochemo.

Good luck to you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                  Participant

Good luck to you,

Julie in Las Vegas

jmmm
                    Participant
                      My husband worked 35+ hours a week during Yervoy. He would take the day of treatment off, but other than that, he was fine. He’s having a much harder time with Zelboraf than Yervoy. Good luck!
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        My husband worked 35+ hours a week during Yervoy. He would take the day of treatment off, but other than that, he was fine. He’s having a much harder time with Zelboraf than Yervoy. Good luck!
                        jmmm
                        Participant
                          rosa1
                          Participant

I was able to complete Yervoy (4 treatments) and work my regular schedule of 40 hrs a week, and I also have a 1 hr commute to and from work.  I would only take time off on the day of the infusion.  The worst side effects I had was the bad rash and the itching, mainly on my upper body and both sides of my face.

Rosa

Erinmay22
                              Participant

I just finished my 4th dose of ipi yesterday and have been working full time.  well… other than the 5 weeks I took off for a small bowel resection to remove a tumor…  🙂  I work 5 days a week (and have about 2 hours of commuting round trip).  

Hang in there!  So far no major side effects for me.  but then again… just finished #4 yesterday.  

Erin

doriniel
                                Participant

hey did you take zelboraf prior to taking yervoy? just wondering. I have been taking zelboraf for 14 months and now it seems like one of my tumors is slowly growing the other 4 are no longer visible on ct. My dr wants me to switch to yervoy if this one coninue to grow. I'm hoping to continue to work if I switch. Are you having good results from the Yervoy?

doriniel
                                  Participant

hey did you take zelboraf prior to taking yervoy? just wondering. I have been taking zelboraf for 14 months and now it seems like one of my tumors is slowly growing the other 4 are no longer visible on ct. My dr wants me to switch to yervoy if this one coninue to grow. I'm hoping to continue to work if I switch. Are you having good results from the Yervoy?

doriniel
                                    Participant

Sandy11
                                      Participant

wondered how things are going now after your last infusion.  My husband is having his last infusion as I type this.  Has been going pretty well.. some joint pain controlled by meds and rash.. all doable in hopes of good overall results.  He's still working too.  Best wishes for you and great results!

Sandy11
                                        Participant

wondered how things are going now after your last infusion.  My husband is having his last infusion as I type this.  Has been going pretty well.. some joint pain controlled by meds and rash.. all doable in hopes of good overall results.  He's still working too.  Best wishes for you and great results!

Sandy11
                                          Participant

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

I just finished my 4th dose of ipi yesterday and have been working full time.  well… other than the 5 weeks I took off for a small bowel resection to remove a tumor…  🙂  I work 5 days a week (and have about 2 hours of commuting round trip).  

Hang in there!  So far no major side effects for me.  but then again… just finished #4 yesterday.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Erin

audgator
                                                Participant

Ditto

audgator
                                                  Participant

Ditto

audgator
                                                    Participant

Ditto

rosa1
                                                    Participant

I was able to complete Yervoy (4 treatments) and work my regular schedule of 40 hrs a week, and I also have a 1 hr commute to and from work.  I would only take time off on the day of the infusion.  The worst side effects I had was the bad rash and the itching, mainly on my upper body and both sides of my face.

Rosa

rosa1
                                                      Participant

Rosa

Josh
                                                        Participant

I was on Yervoy before the drug was approved, so I wound up getting 4 cycles of treatment (16 infusions). My doctor said that he thought I might have gotten more ippi than anyone else in the world. That being said, I felt completely fine the entire time I took the drug and I worked the entire time. The only side effects I experienced were crazily itchy legs (like, tear off your skin itchy). Not pleasant, but nothing that would have stopped me from working or leading a totally normal life. Best of luck!

Josh
                                                          Participant

I was on Yervoy before the drug was approved, so I wound up getting 4 cycles of treatment (16 infusions). My doctor said that he thought I might have gotten more ippi than anyone else in the world. That being said, I felt completely fine the entire time I took the drug and I worked the entire time. The only side effects I experienced were crazily itchy legs (like, tear off your skin itchy). Not pleasant, but nothing that would have stopped me from working or leading a totally normal life. Best of luck!

Josh
                                                            Participant

cksterne
                                                              Participant

Hi-

i was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in 2009.  I did IL-2 (utterly vile, laid me out flat, and I got no benefit at all.)  I've also done a number of clinical trials without much effect until I did BRAF, which gave me some shrinkage and then stability for nearly 15 months.    I had a number of side effects, including joint pain, itching and fatigue, so I ended up on a low dose.  I got some good reduction, but it stalled.  I did Ipi this fall.  I worked fulltime through all four infusions, but felt progressively more fatigued after each, and immediately after the fourth infusion had major nausea.  From that point, I had terrible diarrhea, and ended up being one of that very small percentage of people who get ulcerative colitis from Yervoy.  It was a bad scene, I ended up in the hospital for two weeks, and they nearly had to perform surgery on my colon.  A combination of Remicade and Prednisone eventually handled the issue.   After discharge from the hospital, they started reducing the steroid dose, and the symptoms came right back.  So I'm still taking a lot of steroids, and I've started a Remicade infusion protocol.  After the next infusion we'll try reducing the Prednisone again, and see of the Remicade infusions will keep the nasty at bay.   BUT, I had a PET/CT this week, and low and behold, I got a really good result from the Yervoy.  I had a lot of lymph node activity that is now completely gone, and my primary tumors have shrunk considerably.  And the positive effects may still be happening.  Given this result, I would make the decision to to Yervoy even if I knew I would be an unlucky recipient of major side effects.   If I start getting regrowth, my next stop is PD-1.

Melanoma is a difficult road to travel, but there is a lot of optimism these days, the science is moving at lightening speed.  The succession of trials has kept me going much longer than first expected – here I am at the three year mark, still working, still living a very full life.   Hang in there, and embrace trials – I'm convinced that the various trials back to back cumulatively, has brought me this far – and new things keep coming along at a good pace.   Whether one has cancer or doesn't have cancer, no one knows what the future holds, and every day is a blessing.

C in SB

HopefulOne
                                                                  Participant

Hi C in SB,

Just wanted to say I love your positive energy in spite of all you've been through. Keep fighting! Best to you.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                                                    Participant

Hi C in SB,

Just wanted to say I love your positive energy in spite of all you've been through. Keep fighting! Best to you.

Kimberly

HopefulOne
                                                                      Participant

Hi C in SB,

Kimberly

cksterne
                                                                      Participant

Hi-

i was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma in 2009.  I did IL-2 (utterly vile, laid me out flat, and I got no benefit at all.)  I've also done a number of clinical trials without much effect until I did BRAF, which gave me some shrinkage and then stability for nearly 15 months.    I had a number of side effects, including joint pain, itching and fatigue, so I ended up on a low dose.  I got some good reduction, but it stalled.  I did Ipi this fall.  I worked fulltime through all four infusions, but felt progressively more fatigued after each, and immediately after the fourth infusion had major nausea.  From that point, I had terrible diarrhea, and ended up being one of that very small percentage of people who get ulcerative colitis from Yervoy.  It was a bad scene, I ended up in the hospital for two weeks, and they nearly had to perform surgery on my colon.  A combination of Remicade and Prednisone eventually handled the issue.   After discharge from the hospital, they started reducing the steroid dose, and the symptoms came right back.  So I'm still taking a lot of steroids, and I've started a Remicade infusion protocol.  After the next infusion we'll try reducing the Prednisone again, and see of the Remicade infusions will keep the nasty at bay.   BUT, I had a PET/CT this week, and low and behold, I got a really good result from the Yervoy.  I had a lot of lymph node activity that is now completely gone, and my primary tumors have shrunk considerably.  And the positive effects may still be happening.  Given this result, I would make the decision to to Yervoy even if I knew I would be an unlucky recipient of major side effects.   If I start getting regrowth, my next stop is PD-1.

Melanoma is a difficult road to travel, but there is a lot of optimism these days, the science is moving at lightening speed.  The succession of trials has kept me going much longer than first expected – here I am at the three year mark, still working, still living a very full life.   Hang in there, and embrace trials – I'm convinced that the various trials back to back cumulatively, has brought me this far – and new things keep coming along at a good pace.   Whether one has cancer or doesn't have cancer, no one knows what the future holds, and every day is a blessing.

C in SB

cksterne
                                                                        Participant

Hi-

C in SB

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics