The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy reports $95M in sales for first quarter in market

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy reports $95M in sales for first quarter in market

Participant

Fierce Pharma led its daily coverage of pharmaceutical activity today with a story about BMS and Yervoy.  The story began:

Market watchers expected Bristol-Myers Squibb's ($BMY) new cancer drug to be big, but this fast? The company's second-quarter sales left Wall Street estimates in the dust and prompted an increase in profit forecasts, largely thanks to unexpectedly strong sales of the very-recently-approved Yervoy.

Fierce Pharma led its daily coverage of pharmaceutical activity today with a story about BMS and Yervoy.  The story began:

Market watchers expected Bristol-Myers Squibb's ($BMY) new cancer drug to be big, but this fast? The company's second-quarter sales left Wall Street estimates in the dust and prompted an increase in profit forecasts, largely thanks to unexpectedly strong sales of the very-recently-approved Yervoy.

Indeed, the melanoma treatment just won the FDA nod in March, and it has already brought in $95 million, Reuters reports. "To come up with nearly $100 million in sales right out of the gate is fantastic," Credit Agricole Securities analyst David Maris, who had projected Yervoy sales of $20 million, told the news service. 

I suspect some will react by criticizing the high price of Yervoy therapy, but think about it this way:  Yervoy's strong start will motivate other BioPharma manufacturers to increase their investments in melanoma drug development, which is good news for all of us.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

All the way to the Bank!!!!

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

All the way to the Bank!!!!

TracyLee
                Participant

I am being billed $74,000 PER dose for Yervoy. Thankfully, I am well insured…

What have been the charges for other Ipi folks on this board?

TracyLee

lhaley
                    Participant

I thought it was supposed t be approx $120,000 for the 4 shots! I think I'd have to ask some questions….

NYKaren
                      Participant

So far, $45,792.00 PER INFUSION!   I thought it was supposed to be $120,000 total also.  We'll see how today's infusion gets billed/paid.  

NYKaren
                        Participant

So far, $45,792.00 PER INFUSION!   I thought it was supposed to be $120,000 total also.  We'll see how today's infusion gets billed/paid.  

lhaley
                          Participant

I thought it was supposed t be approx $120,000 for the 4 shots! I think I'd have to ask some questions….

Dynasysman
                            Participant

Hospital "billing" is a shell game.  The real question is how much your insurer is paying, and what your co-pay or co-insurance is.

If you are paying no co-insurance for Yervoy, ignore the "billing" number.  It has no bearing on reality.  If you are paying a co-insurance fee, I would check into where that number came from.

For what it's worth, I am told my ipi (which I started Tuesday) is 100% covered.  I don't know what my hospital is paying for it, but I am confident that my hospital's stated "billing" will not reflect true costs.

TracyLee
                              Participant

I absolutely agree about the hospital billing. I used to do medical billing, so I'm quite familiar with the whole rigamarole!

My hospital told me the dose was $36,000 per dose, to THEM. Interesting that my bill is $74,000. They also had to ensure that I wouldn't have a staggering co-insurance balance, before they would even begin my treatment. (I'm the first in the state).

That being said, I'm interested, in a sick way, to see what insurance "allows" and actually pays. I suspect that they will reduce it by around 70-80%, and then pay accordingly.

Naturally, my insurance carrier is taking the entire amount of time that they are legally allowed to, to pay this bill! So, I'm still waiting to see processing and what will be paid out.

I'm still very grateful for this treatment, whether I respond or not. It certainly helps to have options and not feel like life is just over, once diagnosed. I'm so thrilled for all the ipi responders on this board!

TracyLee

TracyLee
                                Participant

I absolutely agree about the hospital billing. I used to do medical billing, so I'm quite familiar with the whole rigamarole!

My hospital told me the dose was $36,000 per dose, to THEM. Interesting that my bill is $74,000. They also had to ensure that I wouldn't have a staggering co-insurance balance, before they would even begin my treatment. (I'm the first in the state).

That being said, I'm interested, in a sick way, to see what insurance "allows" and actually pays. I suspect that they will reduce it by around 70-80%, and then pay accordingly.

Naturally, my insurance carrier is taking the entire amount of time that they are legally allowed to, to pay this bill! So, I'm still waiting to see processing and what will be paid out.

I'm still very grateful for this treatment, whether I respond or not. It certainly helps to have options and not feel like life is just over, once diagnosed. I'm so thrilled for all the ipi responders on this board!

TracyLee

lhaley
                                  Participant

Dynasysman,

I thought you were having surgery?  I assume you didn't (maybe was not reectable?) so you could do the Yervoy. Would you be willing to give the reasons they decided to go this route? 

Linda

Dynasysman
                                    Participant
                                      Unclear whether tumor is resectable; but my ONC and I believe that Yervoy will prove beneficial in adjuvant and Neo-adjuvant settings. Snce tumor is not particularly active, chose to start Yervoy first to address systemic issues. Trying to determine how quickly we can do surgery, maybe as early as next week, maybe later.
                                      Dynasysman
                                      Participant
                                        Unclear whether tumor is resectable; but my ONC and I believe that Yervoy will prove beneficial in adjuvant and Neo-adjuvant settings. Snce tumor is not particularly active, chose to start Yervoy first to address systemic issues. Trying to determine how quickly we can do surgery, maybe as early as next week, maybe later.
                                        lhaley
                                        Participant

Dynasysman,

I thought you were having surgery?  I assume you didn't (maybe was not reectable?) so you could do the Yervoy. Would you be willing to give the reasons they decided to go this route? 

Linda

Dynasysman
                                          Participant

Hospital "billing" is a shell game.  The real question is how much your insurer is paying, and what your co-pay or co-insurance is.

If you are paying no co-insurance for Yervoy, ignore the "billing" number.  It has no bearing on reality.  If you are paying a co-insurance fee, I would check into where that number came from.

For what it's worth, I am told my ipi (which I started Tuesday) is 100% covered.  I don't know what my hospital is paying for it, but I am confident that my hospital's stated "billing" will not reflect true costs.

TracyLee
                                          Participant

I am being billed $74,000 PER dose for Yervoy. Thankfully, I am well insured…

What have been the charges for other Ipi folks on this board?

TracyLee

NYKaren
                                            Participant

All I care about is that it says Patient Responsibility: 0.  It says Payable by Empire: $43,000 (don't remember what number I typed the first time & I don't have it in front of me)  BUT it does not say exactly what Empire did or will pay.  Very interesting.

NYKaren
                                              Participant

All I care about is that it says Patient Responsibility: 0.  It says Payable by Empire: $43,000 (don't remember what number I typed the first time & I don't have it in front of me)  BUT it does not say exactly what Empire did or will pay.  Very interesting.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics