The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy & Medicare??

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy & Medicare??

Participant

Does anyone know if Medicare is approving and  paying for Yervoy? I'm anticipating re-induction. Have scans May 24th.

Thanks,

Nan

Does anyone know if Medicare is approving and  paying for Yervoy? I'm anticipating re-induction. Have scans May 24th.

Thanks,

Nan

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        jackiewin
        Participant

Are you Stage IV?  Yervoy has been FDA approved for Stage IV mm.  Medicare pays for FDA approved chemos, be it an oral pill or by infusion.  To make sure you would be approved, call Medicare and check with them.

Jackie W

Nan in Nebraska
            Participant

Hi Jackie,

Yes, I am stage IV. I have ocular and have had a cutaneous melanoma also – diagnosed 2001.

I was on Ipi/Yervoy compassionate trial and had been approved for re-induction, if needed – then it became FDA approved. I'm anticipating that I will need re-induction as my last scans were good news/bad news, all issues in the abdomin reduced but increase in size and number of mediastinal lymph nodes. Not sure if it is progression or ipi doing it's job. I'm just trying to be proactive in finding out if Medicare will pay. I've called Medicare and they couldn't give me any answers. They said my provider could call their access number and discuss. I have a call into my onc's office. I've also filled out forms for assistance from Bristol-Meyers-Squibb and they do not assist individuals on Medicare.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Best wishes,

Nan

Nan in Nebraska
              Participant

Hi Jackie,

Yes, I am stage IV. I have ocular and have had a cutaneous melanoma also – diagnosed 2001.

I was on Ipi/Yervoy compassionate trial and had been approved for re-induction, if needed – then it became FDA approved. I'm anticipating that I will need re-induction as my last scans were good news/bad news, all issues in the abdomin reduced but increase in size and number of mediastinal lymph nodes. Not sure if it is progression or ipi doing it's job. I'm just trying to be proactive in finding out if Medicare will pay. I've called Medicare and they couldn't give me any answers. They said my provider could call their access number and discuss. I have a call into my onc's office. I've also filled out forms for assistance from Bristol-Meyers-Squibb and they do not assist individuals on Medicare.

Best wishes,

Nan

Nan in Nebraska
                Participant

Hi Jackie,

Best wishes,

Nan

Nan in Nebraska
                  Participant

Hi Jackie,

Best wishes,

Nan

jackiewin
                  Participant

Are you Stage IV?  Yervoy has been FDA approved for Stage IV mm.  Medicare pays for FDA approved chemos, be it an oral pill or by infusion.  To make sure you would be approved, call Medicare and check with them.

Jackie W

EuniceB
                    Participant

I am not sure about it but thanks for the reply. Medicare can give you a lot of benefit but the program used to figure out Medicare bills is very challenging. Politicians often talk about possible modifications to the program. Hospitals are currently paid depending on which one of 441 different geographic areas a medical facility is in. In 2013, the program will give higher bills to hospitals rated as higher quality institutions. Here's a proof: Quality-based Medicare payments could hurt minority patients.

EuniceB
                      Participant

I am not sure about it but thanks for the reply. Medicare can give you a lot of benefit but the program used to figure out Medicare bills is very challenging. Politicians often talk about possible modifications to the program. Hospitals are currently paid depending on which one of 441 different geographic areas a medical facility is in. In 2013, the program will give higher bills to hospitals rated as higher quality institutions. Here's a proof: Quality-based Medicare payments could hurt minority patients.

EuniceB
                        Participant

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics