The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy Ipilimumab Success Story

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy Ipilimumab Success Story

Participant

New to the board but I thought I would post a my relative's success story to offer some hope to others going through melanoma.

My relative is a male aged 76 years in good health who had a small 'pimple' like mole removed from his face in October 2011. On biopsy, it was diagnosed as melanoma and measured at 2.5 mm in depth. He then had a large excision of the area and had clear margins. He also received a baseline PET scan with no metastases found.

New to the board but I thought I would post a my relative's success story to offer some hope to others going through melanoma.

My relative is a male aged 76 years in good health who had a small 'pimple' like mole removed from his face in October 2011. On biopsy, it was diagnosed as melanoma and measured at 2.5 mm in depth. He then had a large excision of the area and had clear margins. He also received a baseline PET scan with no metastases found.

In May of 2012 he had a follow-up PET scan and they found 2 small metastases in his lungs, so he was staged at stage 4. The mets were biopsied for cellular analysis and they did not have the BRAF mutation. After a couple of weeks he began infusions of Yervoy (ipilimumab). He received all 4 infusions about 3 weeks apart each and he had minimal side effects, very limited rash and a little itching, some mild stomach upset, felt cold quite often and also was irritable. Other than some anti-nasea medication, he had no treatment for these symptoms. His doctor was optimistic because these mets were caught relatively early and were still small although I don't know the exact size.

Last week, he had a another PET scan and it showed that the metastases were no longer detectable on the scan!!! Needless to say, he and his family are overjoyed and this result. He does not yet know about follow-up and any potential maintenance treatments. To all around, this has been an amazing development. I'll update when I get more information.

I hope this helps someone out there going through this terrible cancer.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        dellriol
        Participant

Always good to hear a positive story! 

dellriol
          Participant

dellriol
            Participant

Tina D
              Participant

That is wonderful!!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Tina D
                Participant

That is wonderful!!

Tina D
                  Participant

That is wonderful!!

Ameliajade
                    Participant

That is wonderful news thank you so much for sharing it and giving all melanoma sufferers and their families hope

Kelly7
                        Participant

Thank you for sharing! It gives us hope!!!

Kelly7
                          Participant

Kelly7
                            Participant

spdg4412
                              Participant

Original poster back with an update. It's now October 2013 and my relative is 78 years old 2 years after original diagnosis. He has had several follow-up PET scans and no additional treatments. All scans have been clear as recently as last month. He is having unrelated COPD issues but he's still melanoma free so far.

spdg4412
                                Participant

Original poster back with an update. It's now October 2013 and my relative is 78 years old 2 years after original diagnosis. He has had several follow-up PET scans and no additional treatments. All scans have been clear as recently as last month. He is having unrelated COPD issues but he's still melanoma free so far.

spdg4412
                                  Participant

Ameliajade
                                  Participant

That is wonderful news thank you so much for sharing it and giving all melanoma sufferers and their families hope

Ameliajade
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics