The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy induction infusions completed but side effects have stopped any maintenance doses

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy induction infusions completed but side effects have stopped any maintenance doses

Participant

My husband was in the clincial trial interferon vs. ipi.  He was able to get all four induction infusions.  About 10 days after his fourth infusion, he developed colitis from the ipi.  That landed him in the hospital for five days.  Last Friday, 25 days post ipi, he was hospitalized again for hepatoxicity.  His liver numbers are still up.  So far, this hospital stay is day seven and he is still inpatient.

My husband was in the clincial trial interferon vs. ipi.  He was able to get all four induction infusions.  About 10 days after his fourth infusion, he developed colitis from the ipi.  That landed him in the hospital for five days.  Last Friday, 25 days post ipi, he was hospitalized again for hepatoxicity.  His liver numbers are still up.  So far, this hospital stay is day seven and he is still inpatient.

He had CT scans on 2/24/12.  Those results have come back.  He now has spots on his spine and right pelvis.  They did a bone biopsy Tuesday on the right pelvis. We are still awaiting those results.

His oncologist is not recommending any further immunotherapy due to the reaction he has encountered with the ipi.  If the biopsy shows melanoma, (which I will be shocked if its not) she is saying chemotherapy.

In your experience, what drugs are we likely to see chemotherapy wise?

If it is melanoma again, that will move him to Stage 4 from Stage 3b.

I need your help to know what our next step is or should be.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mandi0280
        Participant

Hello! I wanted to post because this sounds so close to my husbands situation. He is a stage 3b and was started on a clinical trial ipi vs. inerferon. He has only taken 2 infusions and was put in the hospital for 6 days due to colitis. He is supposed to go to Dr next week to decide if he will continue treatments after being so sick. He is also due for scans this months. He was first diagnosed in October 2011. This decisions are some of the hardest that you will ever have to make. Not easy at all. Hope all goes well with your husband. You are the only person i have seen post on here that is apart of the ipi vs. interferon trial.

Mandi0280
          Participant

Hello! I wanted to post because this sounds so close to my husbands situation. He is a stage 3b and was started on a clinical trial ipi vs. inerferon. He has only taken 2 infusions and was put in the hospital for 6 days due to colitis. He is supposed to go to Dr next week to decide if he will continue treatments after being so sick. He is also due for scans this months. He was first diagnosed in October 2011. This decisions are some of the hardest that you will ever have to make. Not easy at all. Hope all goes well with your husband. You are the only person i have seen post on here that is apart of the ipi vs. interferon trial.

Mandi0280
            Participant

LynnLuc
              Participant

Does he have the B Raf mutation?

justlittleoleme
                  Participant
                    BRAF wild type
                    justlittleoleme
                    Participant
                      BRAF wild type
                      justlittleoleme
                      Participant
                        BRAF wild type
                        jogo
                        Participant

This is all happening very quickly for me.  I felt a lump on the left side of my face May 6th.  June 6th, I had a total left parotidectomy and radical disection of the the lymph nodes/glands of the left side of my neck.  The primary melanoma was never located nor identified.  After testing and randomization, my first infusion was July 30th.  I had 2 infusions of ipilimumab and had diarreah for a few days before I was to have my 3rd infusion.  It [diarreah] stopped after 2 days of Budesonide and Imodium.  It [diarreah] resumed three days later, the weekend before my rescheduled [3rd] infusion.  I also had a temperarure of 101.7 F.  I was hospitalized.   A colonoscopy confirmed ipilimummab induced colotis.  I'm on a steroid regemin [Prednisone starting 120 mg and tapering].  The oncology team told me I will remain in the clinical trial but will not be resuming the infusions. I had just 2 infusions of 3 mg/ Kg body weight.   I am now dealing with colotis.   It's been a five month roller coater ride.  The half full glass theory is that my immune system has been activated.  Now it needs direction.

jogo
                          Participant

This is all happening very quickly for me.  I felt a lump on the left side of my face May 6th.  June 6th, I had a total left parotidectomy and radical disection of the the lymph nodes/glands of the left side of my neck.  The primary melanoma was never located nor identified.  After testing and randomization, my first infusion was July 30th.  I had 2 infusions of ipilimumab and had diarreah for a few days before I was to have my 3rd infusion.  It [diarreah] stopped after 2 days of Budesonide and Imodium.  It [diarreah] resumed three days later, the weekend before my rescheduled [3rd] infusion.  I also had a temperarure of 101.7 F.  I was hospitalized.   A colonoscopy confirmed ipilimummab induced colotis.  I'm on a steroid regemin [Prednisone starting 120 mg and tapering].  The oncology team told me I will remain in the clinical trial but will not be resuming the infusions. I had just 2 infusions of 3 mg/ Kg body weight.   I am now dealing with colotis.   It's been a five month roller coater ride.  The half full glass theory is that my immune system has been activated.  Now it needs direction.

jogo
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                            Participant

LynnLuc
                              Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics