The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy: Has anyone else experienced this??!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy: Has anyone else experienced this??!!

Participant

Hello All,

My mom has completed 4 infusions of yervoy and we are waiting to get the report back on her scans any day.  A couple things have changed recently and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this after being on yervoy for a while.

Hello All,

My mom has completed 4 infusions of yervoy and we are waiting to get the report back on her scans any day.  A couple things have changed recently and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this after being on yervoy for a while.

1.  She is really confused:  She can't tell the difference between tylenol and clorospectic throat spray;  she can not remember any of the medicine she has been taking daily.  My mom is only 44 years old and before this took LOTS of meds for asthma and kept up with everything to a "T".  We are having to assist her with meds and remind her frequently of who she's talking to, etc.

2.  We ordered liver function blood work and it came back only slightly "off".  She is stage IV with mets in liver, spleen, lungs, rt. kidney, bones, and lymph nodes in the neck.  We have not had a scan in over 3 months (since before we started yervoy).  She's in lots of pain, with new spots popping up here and there, although they seem to be growing more slowly than usual.  We've been having to help her walk around and she doesn't make it very far until she's back in bed.

3.  Has anyone else experienced this degree of confusion and forgetfullness while on yervoy?  She is on 30mg. of morphine 3 times a day and takes more if needed in between.  But the confusion and forgetfullness is persistent, even when she hasn't had much pain med.  For example, this morning she had a 30 mg. morphine at 9 a.m. and at 1:30 p.m. she was confused about her medicine.  So, I feel like the morphine is not causing the confusion, it just knocks her out for about an hour after she takes it.  

Okay, I hope this wasn't too long or confusing!  Thanks in advance for any help!

Stephanie

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Stephanie,

I have not taken Yervoy. I have to ask you if you've contacted her Dr about this confusion. I don't want to scare you but when my mom had breast cancer she started getting very confused. She had so many Doctors (many different issues going on) I didn't know who to call so I called my own GP for suggestions. He told me to call her oncologist immediately. THey got her in the next day for a brain MRI and we discovered she had brain mets.  I hope this is not the case for your mom but you do need to contact her Dr.

I do hope this isn't the case but you do need to let her oncologist know.

Linda

Stage IV since 06 NED 2 months

lhaley
          Participant

Stephanie,

I have not taken Yervoy. I have to ask you if you've contacted her Dr about this confusion. I don't want to scare you but when my mom had breast cancer she started getting very confused. She had so many Doctors (many different issues going on) I didn't know who to call so I called my own GP for suggestions. He told me to call her oncologist immediately. THey got her in the next day for a brain MRI and we discovered she had brain mets.  I hope this is not the case for your mom but you do need to contact her Dr.

I do hope this isn't the case but you do need to let her oncologist know.

Linda

Stage IV since 06 NED 2 months

Gene_S
            Participant

Hello Stephanie,

Most of your answers can be found at

http://www.yervoy.com/patient.aspx

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
              Participant

Hello Stephanie,

Most of your answers can be found at

http://www.yervoy.com/patient.aspx

Best wishes,

Gene

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Stephanie, I am concerned that your mother hasn't had a scan in over 3 months. However,
                  as you are waiting for a report can I assume that she has just had PET and CT scans?

Unfortunately, confusion and forgetfulness are serious symptoms that might not be
                  related to Yervoy. I don't want to alarm you, but they could be signs of impending
                  liver failure. Please tell your oncologist about these new symptoms so that a
                  proper diagnosis can be made as soon as you can.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Stephanie, I am concerned that your mother hasn't had a scan in over 3 months. However,
                    as you are waiting for a report can I assume that she has just had PET and CT scans?

Unfortunately, confusion and forgetfulness are serious symptoms that might not be
                    related to Yervoy. I don't want to alarm you, but they could be signs of impending
                    liver failure. Please tell your oncologist about these new symptoms so that a
                    proper diagnosis can be made as soon as you can.

Take care

Frank from Australia

smap
                    Participant

Thanks to all for the information.  To answer a couple questions, yes we have contacted  two of her doctors to let them know about the confusion.  Hospice originally thought it was liver failure and we ordered the blood work and they said her numbers were only "slightly off".   We are waiting for the CT scan results to come back.  She was scanned on Wednesday and no results were delivered to the oncol. by yesterday afternoon.  My fear is also of brain mets because of the swollen lymph nodes in the neck.  Also, she has been having lots of sinus drainage into her nose and throat for the last 3 weeks.  

Other family members are convinced the Yervoy is causing her symptoms.  I have read the symptoms and it does say that in some cases patients have reported confusion and memory loss.  We've been reporting her symptoms frequently to her doctor, just waiting for results which is torture!

Stephanie

smap
                      Participant

Thanks to all for the information.  To answer a couple questions, yes we have contacted  two of her doctors to let them know about the confusion.  Hospice originally thought it was liver failure and we ordered the blood work and they said her numbers were only "slightly off".   We are waiting for the CT scan results to come back.  She was scanned on Wednesday and no results were delivered to the oncol. by yesterday afternoon.  My fear is also of brain mets because of the swollen lymph nodes in the neck.  Also, she has been having lots of sinus drainage into her nose and throat for the last 3 weeks.  

Other family members are convinced the Yervoy is causing her symptoms.  I have read the symptoms and it does say that in some cases patients have reported confusion and memory loss.  We've been reporting her symptoms frequently to her doctor, just waiting for results which is torture!

Stephanie

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics