The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

YERVOY didn’t touch bowel…

Forums General Melanoma Community YERVOY didn’t touch bowel…

Much to our dismay, while the YERVOY seems to have worked well on my subcues and abdominal lesions, it didn’t quite get to the bowel. In a matter of 2 months following completion, I had emergency surgery Friday at 1 am to remove 20″ of intestine. The good news is I’m alive. Had I waited, I wouldn’t be posting this right now. And…obviously, it’s GONE? Has this happened to anyone? Where the intestine turned inside itself so that the mets couldn’t be seen by scan? They were having a hard time getting dye thru my veins…. Thanks for input. I am, quite frankly, sufficiently frightened.

Much to our dismay, while the YERVOY seems to have worked well on my subcues and abdominal lesions, it didn’t quite get to the bowel. In a matter of 2 months following completion, I had emergency surgery Friday at 1 am to remove 20″ of intestine. The good news is I’m alive. Had I waited, I wouldn’t be posting this right now. And…obviously, it’s GONE? Has this happened to anyone? Where the intestine turned inside itself so that the mets couldn’t be seen by scan? They were having a hard time getting dye thru my veins…. Thanks for input. I am, quite frankly, sufficiently frightened.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Replies
      LynnLuc
      Participant

my friend did bio chem and they never saw it in her intestines…even tho the scanned her inside and out. She kept complanning about pain and finally they decided to go in  because they thought they saw a couple inches of "something"

growth in intestine was larger than expected…melanoma was wide spread

-resected all of ascending and transverse colons…that is 2/3 of large intestines

-procedure called a right hemicolectomy & bowel resection

-tumor size of large grapefruit…some tumor still inside…unresectable…this was in Jan 2011…

She ended up in my sister trial of vaccine trial using peptides and MDX 1006 ( original anti pd -1)…she is doing well and her melanomas continue to shrink. She contiues in the booster phase of the trial getting anti pd 1 IV once every 3 months!

LynnLuc
          Participant

ooops should be MDX 1106   NOT 1006

LynnLuc
            Participant

LynnLuc
              Participant

LynnLuc
              Participant

my friend did bio chem and they never saw it in her intestines…even tho the scanned her inside and out. She kept complanning about pain and finally they decided to go in  because they thought they saw a couple inches of "something"

-resected all of ascending and transverse colons…that is 2/3 of large intestines

-tumor size of large grapefruit…some tumor still inside…unresectable…this was in Jan 2011…

She ended up in my sister trial of vaccine trial using peptides and MDX 1006 ( original anti pd -1)…she is doing well and her melanomas continue to shrink. She contiues in the booster phase of the trial getting anti pd 1 IV once every 3 months!

LynnLuc
                Participant

lhaley
                  Participant

You are so lucky that they discovered the mets in the intestines.  If you do a search on Rebecca and Bob you will find that he also had mets in intestines. He did have surgery (I think it was about 2 years ago) and has been NED ever since.  He had the surgery done at NIH. 

I had mets 2 different times in the bladder. The first tumor was 7 cm long but was not seen on PET scans or a CT that was done the day before a cystoscopy.  Blood in the urine that did not show up as an infection and then had the cystoscopy. Because of the location they could not do a wide excision – next cysto is next week. I'm now at 6 month intervals.   

I think this is why we call it as No Evidence of Disease. Scans just don't see through the bladder, intestines and the uterus the majority of the time.

Good luck that the Yervoy continues to keep the other tumors continues to work. 

Linda

lhaley
                    Participant

You are so lucky that they discovered the mets in the intestines.  If you do a search on Rebecca and Bob you will find that he also had mets in intestines. He did have surgery (I think it was about 2 years ago) and has been NED ever since.  He had the surgery done at NIH. 

I had mets 2 different times in the bladder. The first tumor was 7 cm long but was not seen on PET scans or a CT that was done the day before a cystoscopy.  Blood in the urine that did not show up as an infection and then had the cystoscopy. Because of the location they could not do a wide excision – next cysto is next week. I'm now at 6 month intervals.   

I think this is why we call it as No Evidence of Disease. Scans just don't see through the bladder, intestines and the uterus the majority of the time.

Linda

lhaley
                      Participant

Linda

Sherron
                        Participant

I lost my husband to mets to the intestines.  He was very sick at the end….and very weak, but had 4 years 3 months great life with no sickness at all.  He did it His Way, and had QUALITY LIFE right up until it spread quickly…one surgery, way too late….Still missing you Jim.  Love you forever.

Take Care and best Wishes,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER (Nov 30, 2010)  Profile is under my name Sherron

Sherron
                          Participant

I lost my husband to mets to the intestines.  He was very sick at the end….and very weak, but had 4 years 3 months great life with no sickness at all.  He did it His Way, and had QUALITY LIFE right up until it spread quickly…one surgery, way too late….Still missing you Jim.  Love you forever.

Sherron
                            Participant

boot2aboot
                              Participant

Kim,

did you look at the news where radiation was followed by ipi?http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com…maybe ask your doc to give you a good jolt of radiation…i know Tim posted what he knew of of Dr Wolchuks findings…hell, it's worth a try anyway…and i am sorry Sherron, but Kim doesn't need to know how you lost your husband to intestinal mets as she is fighting for her life right now even though i know you are heart sick and having terrible time with the loss, but POSITIVE ATTITUDE as MIRACLE…hard to do, but we must as it is component just as important as therapies…four part prong of healing is right thinking, right therapy, right diet and exercise, right purpose

boots

boot2aboot
                                Participant

Kim,

did you look at the news where radiation was followed by ipi?http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com…maybe ask your doc to give you a good jolt of radiation…i know Tim posted what he knew of of Dr Wolchuks findings…hell, it's worth a try anyway…and i am sorry Sherron, but Kim doesn't need to know how you lost your husband to intestinal mets as she is fighting for her life right now even though i know you are heart sick and having terrible time with the loss, but POSITIVE ATTITUDE as MIRACLE…hard to do, but we must as it is component just as important as therapies…four part prong of healing is right thinking, right therapy, right diet and exercise, right purpose

boots

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

Kim,

boots

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics