The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy & Diarrhea

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy & Diarrhea

Participant

My Mom has had some good results with Yervoy and tonight we found out that she may not have her 3rd infusion, which is scheduled for this week.

She has had increasing issues with diarrhea with no stomach pain, chills…  Just a lot of diarrhea…  The doctor wants to look at her labs tomorrow, but it sounds like he wants to postphone or stop the Yervoy. 

Has anyone here been found to have colitis and then put on steroids before resuming Yervoy?  Or once the Yervoy was stopped was there no hope to try it again?  

The tumors on her neck and head have changed markedly and we are very concenred by this turn of events…

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant

Yes, there have been several people on this forum who have had diarrhea and also colitis that has put them in the hospital or on steroids. It is a symptom that seems to be somewhat frequent with the use of this drug.  Some have been put on steroids to combat this issue. Good Luck to your mom!  

Momrn5
          Participant

Yes, there have been several people on this forum who have had diarrhea and also colitis that has put them in the hospital or on steroids. It is a symptom that seems to be somewhat frequent with the use of this drug.  Some have been put on steroids to combat this issue. Good Luck to your mom!  

Momrn5
            Participant

Swanee
              Participant

I did not do well on yervoy, stopping after 1 dose with ulcerated colitis, but apparently I am the 2% that could not tolerate.

However, many here have had the difficulties you describe and were able to manage with steroids, diet and other drugs, taking a break from yervoy until things cleared up and then resuming their infusions.  I'm sure you will hear from those patients soon, who can give you a clear and concise report of their treatment details and direction.

I'm happy for your Mom that she is doing otherwise well with yervoy and is showing all the good signs that she is responding!  Hopefully, she will be able to complete all the infusions with  aid of other medications!

Sending positive thoughts to you and your Mom!

Swanee

Swanee
                Participant

I did not do well on yervoy, stopping after 1 dose with ulcerated colitis, but apparently I am the 2% that could not tolerate.

However, many here have had the difficulties you describe and were able to manage with steroids, diet and other drugs, taking a break from yervoy until things cleared up and then resuming their infusions.  I'm sure you will hear from those patients soon, who can give you a clear and concise report of their treatment details and direction.

I'm happy for your Mom that she is doing otherwise well with yervoy and is showing all the good signs that she is responding!  Hopefully, she will be able to complete all the infusions with  aid of other medications!

Swanee

Swanee
                  Participant

Swanee

gostan
                    Participant

I had two IPI infusions and then two separate colitis tracks that each resulted in a10 day November hospital stay and an 8 day December hospital stay.  Steroids/prednisone were prescribed in each instance but they did not help.  Two Remicaid infusions finally did the trick.  My oncologist will not put me back on the IPI due to these side effects, but right now the underlying disease is stabilized.  and, of course, there are other treatment options if it does not stay stable. Overall, I have been told tht the prednisone not working on my colitis .   Best of luck to your mom.

gostan
                      Participant

I had two IPI infusions and then two separate colitis tracks that each resulted in a10 day November hospital stay and an 8 day December hospital stay.  Steroids/prednisone were prescribed in each instance but they did not help.  Two Remicaid infusions finally did the trick.  My oncologist will not put me back on the IPI due to these side effects, but right now the underlying disease is stabilized.  and, of course, there are other treatment options if it does not stay stable. Overall, I have been told tht the prednisone not working on my colitis .   Best of luck to your mom.

gostan
                        Participant

Marianne quinn
                          Participant

My husband had 2doses of 10 mg/kg ifusion. No diarrhea. Been on a diverticulosis diet- no seeds, nuts, popcorn. Eating bananas, making smoothies. Only has had a mild rash. He gets his 3 rd dose in 2 weeks. He is stage3c  NED.  Good luck to you

Marianne quinn
                            Participant

My husband had 2doses of 10 mg/kg ifusion. No diarrhea. Been on a diverticulosis diet- no seeds, nuts, popcorn. Eating bananas, making smoothies. Only has had a mild rash. He gets his 3 rd dose in 2 weeks. He is stage3c  NED.  Good luck to you

Marianne quinn
                              Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                Participant

My Oncologist put me on Diphan/Atrop after a week of the Yervoy diarrhea and that seemed to nip it immediately.  None of the over the counter products or any home remedies did anything.

You should ask your Doctor to prescribe that for your Mom immediately before it becomes a bigger issue.

Dave from Ormond
                                  Participant

My Oncologist put me on Diphan/Atrop after a week of the Yervoy diarrhea and that seemed to nip it immediately.  None of the over the counter products or any home remedies did anything.

You should ask your Doctor to prescribe that for your Mom immediately before it becomes a bigger issue.

Dave from Ormond
                                    Participant

FayFighter
                                      Participant

my husband finished his last yervoy dec. 20 and has diarrhea and now colitis since dec. 24.  we have tried steroids to no avail. he will get remicaid treatment this friday.  we hope it will help with his symptoms.  re; your moms tumors….sometimes yervoy has a delayed response.

FayFighter
                                        Participant

my husband finished his last yervoy dec. 20 and has diarrhea and now colitis since dec. 24.  we have tried steroids to no avail. he will get remicaid treatment this friday.  we hope it will help with his symptoms.  re; your moms tumors….sometimes yervoy has a delayed response.

ReginaTink
                                            Participant

Has anyone experienced constipation first with yervoy then diarrhea.  I finished my last dosage of yervoy this past week and needed to take miralax for my constipation.  Now over the last three days, I have diarrhea and have been trying to control my stomach discomfort and diarrhea with pepto-bismal.  I will call the doctor if this diarrhea does no subside by monday. ReginaTink

ReginaTink
                                              Participant

Has anyone experienced constipation first with yervoy then diarrhea.  I finished my last dosage of yervoy this past week and needed to take miralax for my constipation.  Now over the last three days, I have diarrhea and have been trying to control my stomach discomfort and diarrhea with pepto-bismal.  I will call the doctor if this diarrhea does no subside by monday. ReginaTink

ReginaTink
                                                Participant

FayFighter
                                                Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics