The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy and vitamin d

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy and vitamin d

Participant
      Has anyone been given advice by their doctor on taking vitamin d supplements while on Yervoy? If so, how much to take? I know there are studies on whether vitamin d is helpful in fighting melanoma, but wasn’t sure about how much to take, if any, when starting Yervoy.

Has anyone been given advice by their doctor on taking vitamin d supplements while on Yervoy? If so, how much to take? I know there are studies on whether vitamin d is helpful in fighting melanoma, but wasn’t sure about how much to take, if any, when starting Yervoy.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hereiam
        Participant

Hi,

I have heard something about using vitamin C while on yervoy, but never of vitamin D. Well, if the doctor adviced you to use it, then probably he should be the one to limit dosage too.

Though, I would rather advise you to think of using something more researched and legitimated, like biotherapy treatment (e.g. virotherapy) because it is trusted to be more effective and convincing than vitamin d.

Take care!

Hereiam
          Participant

Hi,

I have heard something about using vitamin C while on yervoy, but never of vitamin D. Well, if the doctor adviced you to use it, then probably he should be the one to limit dosage too.

Though, I would rather advise you to think of using something more researched and legitimated, like biotherapy treatment (e.g. virotherapy) because it is trusted to be more effective and convincing than vitamin d.

Take care!

Hereiam
            Participant

Hi,

Take care!

NYKaren
              Participant

Hi, so sorry I came up anonymous…It's NYKaren!

NYKaren
                  Participant

I was anonymous NOT to the above post–to the one that's now lost in cyber-space.  I guess I'm not meant to post on this subject!  I'll try one more time to find it.

NYKaren
                    Participant

I was anonymous NOT to the above post–to the one that's now lost in cyber-space.  I guess I'm not meant to post on this subject!  I'll try one more time to find it.

NYKaren
                      Participant

NYKaren
                      Participant

NYKaren
                        Participant

lhaley
                          Participant

Since I've had this progression they have discussed exactly what supplements I'm taking including all over the counter meds.  I'm to call before I think.  However, I also have a deficiency with vitamin D.  A few years ago had to take the mega doses and now my numbers are fine.  Not on Yervoy, but you need to talk to the Dr.   I take vitamin D because of how my body reacts when my numbers are low.  I felt that while they are under control I don't have many of the aches and pains!  I'm not saying it keeps of cancer, it makes me feel better.  So they have me taking a supplement with it but the numbers aren't huge amounts, it's enough to keep my body numbers right.

When your on a cancer fighting drug make sure that you just don't create your own problem.   

lhaley
                            Participant

Since I've had this progression they have discussed exactly what supplements I'm taking including all over the counter meds.  I'm to call before I think.  However, I also have a deficiency with vitamin D.  A few years ago had to take the mega doses and now my numbers are fine.  Not on Yervoy, but you need to talk to the Dr.   I take vitamin D because of how my body reacts when my numbers are low.  I felt that while they are under control I don't have many of the aches and pains!  I'm not saying it keeps of cancer, it makes me feel better.  So they have me taking a supplement with it but the numbers aren't huge amounts, it's enough to keep my body numbers right.

When your on a cancer fighting drug make sure that you just don't create your own problem.   

lhaley
                              Participant

shellebrownies
                                Participant

I have heard of taking Vitamin D when you have melanoma for two reasons: one, that as a melanoma patient, you are obviously not outside as much taking it in naturally, and two, that there seems to be a link between low Vitamin D numbers and melanoma in some cases.

But I would definitely discuss the addition of Vitamin D or any other supplement with your doctor first to make sure they would interact in a way that would minimize the effect of the Yervoy. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

mombase
                                    Participant

This whole Vitamin D thing is such a mystery! There is definitely a strong link between low Vit D levels and melanoma, and places where the sun does not shine as strongly (i.e., Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.) have higher incidences of melanoma. But then the opposite effect is true, too. Too much sun can equal melanoma as well. So how do we get a balanced amount of Vitamin D?? (This is all from my very unscientific memory!)

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                      Participant

This whole Vitamin D thing is such a mystery! There is definitely a strong link between low Vit D levels and melanoma, and places where the sun does not shine as strongly (i.e., Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc.) have higher incidences of melanoma. But then the opposite effect is true, too. Too much sun can equal melanoma as well. So how do we get a balanced amount of Vitamin D?? (This is all from my very unscientific memory!)

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                        Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

shellebrownies
                                        Participant

I have heard of taking Vitamin D when you have melanoma for two reasons: one, that as a melanoma patient, you are obviously not outside as much taking it in naturally, and two, that there seems to be a link between low Vitamin D numbers and melanoma in some cases.

But I would definitely discuss the addition of Vitamin D or any other supplement with your doctor first to make sure they would interact in a way that would minimize the effect of the Yervoy. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

shellebrownies
                                          Participant

Michelle, wife of Don

Gene_S
                                            Participant

You can hear an Vitamin D-3 expert speech (free) if you sign up for the cancer summit.

see the following link for details.

http://www.renegadehealth.com/cancer/

Best Wishes,

Gene

mombase
                                                Participant

Thank you very much, Gene!

mombase
                                                  Participant

mombase
                                                    Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

I am listening to the broadcast there.  One must look at this in a very critical light.  Note that they will gladly sell you a copy of the broadcast for $495.00. (It's on for five nights starting 10/25/2011 at 8-10 PM EST,) (After reagisteration it available for 24 hours without payment, then a payment is required to obtain the briefing.  The Gerson therapy is  one of the issues presented.  (all one sided of course.)

Gene_S
                                                        Participant

Hello Jerry,

The cost is only $49.50 and if it saves your life,  I consider it money well spent!

See: http://www.renegadehealth.com/cancer/index-page.html

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

Hello Jerry,

The cost is only $49.50 and if it saves your life,  I consider it money well spent!

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                            Participant

Hello Jerry,

Best wishes,

Gene

JerryfromFauq
                                                              Participant

I am listening to the broadcast there.  One must look at this in a very critical light.  Note that they will gladly sell you a copy of the broadcast for $495.00. (It's on for five nights starting 10/25/2011 at 8-10 PM EST,) (After reagisteration it available for 24 hours without payment, then a payment is required to obtain the briefing.  The Gerson therapy is  one of the issues presented.  (all one sided of course.)

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

You can hear an Vitamin D-3 expert speech (free) if you sign up for the cancer summit.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Best Wishes,

Gene

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics