The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy and low blood pressure, etc.

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy and low blood pressure, etc.

Participant

Good Morning.

I had my fourth dose of Yervoy on 11/8. For about the last week I have been dealing with blurry vision and low blood pressure. Normal for me is about 105/65. Last night my blood pressure was 89/59. I've done Interferon, IL-2 and was on the MDX-1106 trial. I experience some level of blurry vision with all of them. For whatever reason, drugs really effect my vision. But, I know that low blood pressure can also cause blurry vision.

Good Morning.

I had my fourth dose of Yervoy on 11/8. For about the last week I have been dealing with blurry vision and low blood pressure. Normal for me is about 105/65. Last night my blood pressure was 89/59. I've done Interferon, IL-2 and was on the MDX-1106 trial. I experience some level of blurry vision with all of them. For whatever reason, drugs really effect my vision. But, I know that low blood pressure can also cause blurry vision.

Has anyone else experienced blurry vision or low blood pressure while on Yervoy? I see my oncologist next Tuesday for scan results from the first scan after treatment. I plan on talking to him about this then, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced it?

Thanks!

~Angela

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

I would personally call the oncologist to explain about the vision and low pressure.  He might have something to help you and might be very interested in the problems you are having.

Gene_S
          Participant

I would personally call the oncologist to explain about the vision and low pressure.  He might have something to help you and might be very interested in the problems you are having.

Gene_S
            Participant

Angela C
              Participant

Just wanted to post an update to this in case anyone was paying attention. =) Or in case someone does a search for vision problems and Yervoy in the future, and then this may be helpful to them. 

I ended up going to the eye doctor and it turns out my eye pressures were super high! Normal pressures are between 10-21 and my left eye was 48 and my right was 60! Yikes!!! This was causing the blurry vision. They have put me on eye drops that I have to take several times each day. I’ve gone back twice to check my pressures now and have to go again next week. At that point, they will start lowering my dosage and we’ll have to keep monitoring my eye pressures to see how I do as the drops are removed. 

I ended up seeing three different eye doctors since it was an emergency situation and they had to squeeze me in and then I had follow up appointments. They all did some reading about Yervoy and all agreed that they think it caused it. They believe it’s because my immune system has been turned up and let loose and it more or less caused acute Glaucoma. I have no nerve damage or permanent eye issues, but if I hadn’t gone in when I did, I very easily could have. 

My oncologist also states that it could be from Yervoy. I was also on MDX-1106 before Yervoy, so it also might be as a result of the combination of drugs. No one really knows for sure, but the oncologist is reporting it to the FDA, who in turn will report it to BMS.

JerNYC
                  Participant

Angela,

I'm glad you got some answers. I am on the same path as you (Ipi after not responding to MDX-1106). I had been told that these eye symptoms were more common with MDX than with Ipi (I was warned at the outset). I was also told that MDX stays on your receptors for months, so maybe the Ipi on top of the MDX revved up the MDX to cause it? I guess it doesn't really matter as you now have it under control.

Best wishes going forward.

J

Sbnjb2002
                    Participant
                      My husband is on ECOG 1609- due to colitis he can’t have any more ipi. However, now he has elevated eye pressures. Anyone else out there dealing with that? Eye doctor. Is diagnosing potential glaucoma, but he didn’t have any prior eye issues until the clinical trial.
                      Sbnjb2002
                      Participant
                        My husband is on ECOG 1609- due to colitis he can’t have any more ipi. However, now he has elevated eye pressures. Anyone else out there dealing with that? Eye doctor. Is diagnosing potential glaucoma, but he didn’t have any prior eye issues until the clinical trial.
                        Sbnjb2002
                        Participant
                          Sbnjb2002
                          Participant
                            Sbnjb2002
                            Participant
                              Sbnjb2002
                              Participant
                                JerNYC
                                Participant

Angela,

I'm glad you got some answers. I am on the same path as you (Ipi after not responding to MDX-1106). I had been told that these eye symptoms were more common with MDX than with Ipi (I was warned at the outset). I was also told that MDX stays on your receptors for months, so maybe the Ipi on top of the MDX revved up the MDX to cause it? I guess it doesn't really matter as you now have it under control.

J

JerNYC
                                  Participant

Angela,

J

Angela C
                                  Participant

Just wanted to post an update to this in case anyone was paying attention. =) Or in case someone does a search for vision problems and Yervoy in the future, and then this may be helpful to them. 

I ended up going to the eye doctor and it turns out my eye pressures were super high! Normal pressures are between 10-21 and my left eye was 48 and my right was 60! Yikes!!! This was causing the blurry vision. They have put me on eye drops that I have to take several times each day. I’ve gone back twice to check my pressures now and have to go again next week. At that point, they will start lowering my dosage and we’ll have to keep monitoring my eye pressures to see how I do as the drops are removed. 

I ended up seeing three different eye doctors since it was an emergency situation and they had to squeeze me in and then I had follow up appointments. They all did some reading about Yervoy and all agreed that they think it caused it. They believe it’s because my immune system has been turned up and let loose and it more or less caused acute Glaucoma. I have no nerve damage or permanent eye issues, but if I hadn’t gone in when I did, I very easily could have. 

My oncologist also states that it could be from Yervoy. I was also on MDX-1106 before Yervoy, so it also might be as a result of the combination of drugs. No one really knows for sure, but the oncologist is reporting it to the FDA, who in turn will report it to BMS.

Angela C
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics