The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

yervoy and almost no side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community yervoy and almost no side effects

Participant

I am past my second dose of yervoy. I have experienced almost no side effects. Some constipation, one bit of itching and thats it. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHETHER THE IPI IS WORKING AT ALL. I thought that having some mean side effects actually meant that the drug was revving up the immune system. thanks much

I am past my second dose of yervoy. I have experienced almost no side effects. Some constipation, one bit of itching and thats it. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA WHETHER THE IPI IS WORKING AT ALL. I thought that having some mean side effects actually meant that the drug was revving up the immune system. thanks much

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof2kids
        Participant

I just had my 3rd injection Friday.  I have had no side effects either.   My doctor even said that whether you have a bunch of side effects or none at all, it can work either way!  He did say that if i got the Colitis, that it may be working better at that point.

So, I don't think they have 100% answers on these things yet, everybody's bodies are different!

I'm 31, never had any other treatments, etc, so not sure if that has anything to do with it or not!

He did tell me that most the times the side effects come after the 3rd to 4th injections (between 6-12 weeks), so I have to keep an eye out for if I get anything.

All I know is when the first few scans we'll do after this is done, if mine shows growth, I will be devastated.  I want to see shrinkage!  I know they say that even if they grow, they can shrink a few weeks, etc later, but I'd rather see immediate shrinkage!  Just hope I'm one of the lucky 20% that it happens to!

Lisa13
            Participant

I just completed my 4th treatment last week and due for my scans on Hallowe'en. Throughout the treatment, I havn't really had any side effects other than itchy skin and some small changes to my bowel movements. These symptoms came along during my 3rd injection. Last night I had to take a Benadryl because my itching was so bad and felt as though I was having an allergic reaction. My 4th injection was last Thursday.

My Dr. told me that side effects were not an indication that the drug was working, Infact, if you get your Absolute Lymphocyte numbers, that will be an indication if your immune system is responding. I've had virtually no side effects, but these numbers for me have doubled.  Ask your Dr. for your blood work each time you get it done.

Hang in there. Don't worry that you're not getting any symptoms. They may come later or not at all.

Momof2kids – I"m thinking of you and routing for you BIGTIME!

Best of luck to both of you.

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
              Participant

I just completed my 4th treatment last week and due for my scans on Hallowe'en. Throughout the treatment, I havn't really had any side effects other than itchy skin and some small changes to my bowel movements. These symptoms came along during my 3rd injection. Last night I had to take a Benadryl because my itching was so bad and felt as though I was having an allergic reaction. My 4th injection was last Thursday.

My Dr. told me that side effects were not an indication that the drug was working, Infact, if you get your Absolute Lymphocyte numbers, that will be an indication if your immune system is responding. I've had virtually no side effects, but these numbers for me have doubled.  Ask your Dr. for your blood work each time you get it done.

Hang in there. Don't worry that you're not getting any symptoms. They may come later or not at all.

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                Participant

Lisa – Stage 4

momof2kids
                Participant

I just had my 3rd injection Friday.  I have had no side effects either.   My doctor even said that whether you have a bunch of side effects or none at all, it can work either way!  He did say that if i got the Colitis, that it may be working better at that point.

So, I don't think they have 100% answers on these things yet, everybody's bodies are different!

I'm 31, never had any other treatments, etc, so not sure if that has anything to do with it or not!

He did tell me that most the times the side effects come after the 3rd to 4th injections (between 6-12 weeks), so I have to keep an eye out for if I get anything.

All I know is when the first few scans we'll do after this is done, if mine shows growth, I will be devastated.  I want to see shrinkage!  I know they say that even if they grow, they can shrink a few weeks, etc later, but I'd rather see immediate shrinkage!  Just hope I'm one of the lucky 20% that it happens to!

momof2kids
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics