The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy 3mg side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy 3mg side effects

Participant

I would love to hear everyone's experience with Yervoy 3mg. I am a stage IIIA and I'm just debating all of the options. The possible side effects are pretty scary! 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I could be wrong but the last I read stage 3 ipi is 10mg per kg of body weight. 

For my stage 4 ipi at 3mg per kg the side affects were super mild. After 2nd dose very mild rash, mild stomach churning, mild fever. Maybe a few other mild things. I did all 4 doses but it didn't work.

But side affects vary per person. Some people have had a severe reaction.

Artie

mkirkland
            Participant

Thank you Artie!! I appreciate your response. I hate it did not do anything for u. 

mkirkland
              Participant

Thank you Artie!! I appreciate your response. I hate it did not do anything for u. 

mkirkland
                Participant

chrisholder
                  Participant

I believe when I had the ipi/nivo combo in May and June of this year ipi was 10mg per kilo.   This is for mucosal m. in the sinus.   I could only do two infusions before my side effects (thyroiditis, a. immune hepatitis & and other issues) put me in hospital, stopped the infusions and took me off the trial.  Impossible to know for sure which drug caused most side effects, but the ipi is always more suspect, I believe.  However, clearly one of the two or the combo kept the tumor from growing for a montth or a little more, but it began again while I was off so long recovering from the s. effects.  Now on Pembro since Sept (10 mg p. kilo, a drug very similar to Nivolumab) and very mild s. effects so far.  Too eary for scans, though.  Clearly one of the struggles of the researchers is learning why some patients react so mildly to ipi while others (like me) have severe reactions – part of the reason we all participate in these trials!

Chris

chrisholder
                    Participant

I believe when I had the ipi/nivo combo in May and June of this year ipi was 10mg per kilo.   This is for mucosal m. in the sinus.   I could only do two infusions before my side effects (thyroiditis, a. immune hepatitis & and other issues) put me in hospital, stopped the infusions and took me off the trial.  Impossible to know for sure which drug caused most side effects, but the ipi is always more suspect, I believe.  However, clearly one of the two or the combo kept the tumor from growing for a montth or a little more, but it began again while I was off so long recovering from the s. effects.  Now on Pembro since Sept (10 mg p. kilo, a drug very similar to Nivolumab) and very mild s. effects so far.  Too eary for scans, though.  Clearly one of the struggles of the researchers is learning why some patients react so mildly to ipi while others (like me) have severe reactions – part of the reason we all participate in these trials!

Chris

mkirkland
                      Participant

Thank u for the response. I really like to hear everyone's experiences good and bad! 

mkirkland
                        Participant

Thank u for the response. I really like to hear everyone's experiences good and bad! 

mkirkland
                          Participant

chrisholder
                            Participant

Chris

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

For my stage 4 ipi at 3mg per kg the side affects were super mild. After 2nd dose very mild rash, mild stomach churning, mild fever. Maybe a few other mild things. I did all 4 doses but it didn't work.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Bubbles
                                Participant

I posted a response to the TAKKAT thread below yours.  You will get a fuller picture if you begin with the post I linked there.  However, this link:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/04/ipi-vs-nivo-trial-as-adjuvant-for-stage.html

….probably has the crux of the info you are looking for.  The jist of which is this:  From 2008 – 2011 NED Stage III patients were treated:  475 were given ipi at 10mg/kg and 476 were given placebo.  Median recurrence free survival was 26.1 months for the patients given ipi, 17.1 months for the patients given placebo.  A total of 5 patients died due to grade 3/4 side effects.

IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER!!!!!  This dosage was 10mg/kg.  NOT what is being offered currently.  These wonderful ratties taught us that 10mg/kg did not improve response more than a 3mg/kg dose but DID cause much greater side effects.  Additionally, we (and docs and researchers) have learned a TON about what side effects may occur with ipi, how to recognize them rapidly, and how to treat them effectively.  Folks do not suffer nearly as much from ipi side effects now as they did in the beginning.  Thanks again to some amazing ratties for this knowledge.  Here is just one example of that sort of progress:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/03/melanoma-patients-teach-us-more-about.html

I wish you luck in whatever treatment path you choose.  Celeste

Janner
                                    Participant

Are you sure you made the correct statement?  FDA approval for adjuvant IPI dosage is 10mg/kg, not 3mg/kg.  It is NOT being offered at the 3mg/kg dosage for stage III.  If you read back to Tim's recent post about new therapies, it explains this and a method of obtaining the drug for free given the pricing structure that would be required for 10mg/kg dosage..

Janner
                                      Participant

Are you sure you made the correct statement?  FDA approval for adjuvant IPI dosage is 10mg/kg, not 3mg/kg.  It is NOT being offered at the 3mg/kg dosage for stage III.  If you read back to Tim's recent post about new therapies, it explains this and a method of obtaining the drug for free given the pricing structure that would be required for 10mg/kg dosage..

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Actually, you are correct as far as the most recent FDA approval regarding ipi as adjuvant is concerned.  Additionally, Artie already made the point that 3mg/kg has been the routine dose used else-wise.  As both doses are FDA approved, doctors are allowed discretion in what they utilize, though what payors will cover certainly affects use as well.  Were it me, I would be asking to try the 3mg/kg dose….but whether that could happen for an NED patient is unclear.  Additionally….I was responding the poster's question which was specifically regarding the 3mg/kg dose.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

Actually, you are correct as far as the most recent FDA approval regarding ipi as adjuvant is concerned.  Additionally, Artie already made the point that 3mg/kg has been the routine dose used else-wise.  As both doses are FDA approved, doctors are allowed discretion in what they utilize, though what payors will cover certainly affects use as well.  Were it me, I would be asking to try the 3mg/kg dose….but whether that could happen for an NED patient is unclear.  Additionally….I was responding the poster's question which was specifically regarding the 3mg/kg dose.  Celeste

mjanssentx
                                            Participant

I asked my Melanomo onocologist this exact question last week…and he indicated that he could dose 3mg/kg…and in fact had just did it that day.

Michel

mjanssentx
                                              Participant

I asked my Melanomo onocologist this exact question last week…and he indicated that he could dose 3mg/kg…and in fact had just did it that day.

Michel

mjanssentx
                                                Participant

Michel

Bubbles
                                                  Participant

mkirkland
                                                    Participant

My dr at MDA said she would do a dosage of 3mg. I am not sure exactly how she could offer that but that was one of the options on her list. She did not recommend the 10mg dosage.

mkirkland
                                                      Participant

My dr at MDA said she would do a dosage of 3mg. I am not sure exactly how she could offer that but that was one of the options on her list. She did not recommend the 10mg dosage.

mkirkland
                                                        Participant

Janner
                                                          Participant

mkirkland
                                                            Participant

Thank u for the information! I appreciate it so much! 

mkirkland
                                                              Participant

mkirkland
                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

I posted a response to the TAKKAT thread below yours.  You will get a fuller picture if you begin with the post I linked there.  However, this link:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/04/ipi-vs-nivo-trial-as-adjuvant-for-stage.html

….probably has the crux of the info you are looking for.  The jist of which is this:  From 2008 – 2011 NED Stage III patients were treated:  475 were given ipi at 10mg/kg and 476 were given placebo.  Median recurrence free survival was 26.1 months for the patients given ipi, 17.1 months for the patients given placebo.  A total of 5 patients died due to grade 3/4 side effects.

IMPORTANT POINTS TO REMEMBER!!!!!  This dosage was 10mg/kg.  NOT what is being offered currently.  These wonderful ratties taught us that 10mg/kg did not improve response more than a 3mg/kg dose but DID cause much greater side effects.  Additionally, we (and docs and researchers) have learned a TON about what side effects may occur with ipi, how to recognize them rapidly, and how to treat them effectively.  Folks do not suffer nearly as much from ipi side effects now as they did in the beginning.  Thanks again to some amazing ratties for this knowledge.  Here is just one example of that sort of progress:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2014/03/melanoma-patients-teach-us-more-about.html

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

katie1
                                                                    Participant

HI

My husband is a participant in the Ipi vs Interferon Adjuvant trial.  In this trial there are two Ipi doses (3mg/kg and 10mg/kg)–ECOG 1609.  My husband (Stage IIIC-T4bN2cM0) is in the 3mg/kg arm.  He began the trial in the early Summer of 2013.  He had to stop infusions after 4 doses due to Grade 3/4 side effects.  This trial includes 4 maintenance doses every 3 months following the initial 4 induction infusions (every 3 weeks).  My husband had lots of side effects which were Grade 1 or 2 (itching, rashes, ocular, minor diarrhea etc).  He developed hypophysitis following his 4th infusion.  It's a long and complicated story but he is now steroid dependent but stable. He worked throughout the treatments (except when he was hospitalized for an adrenal crisis)

Something to note from the trial Celeste posted:  52% of patients in that trial had to stop the infusions due to side effects.  Celeste has great info on her blog.

Our trial doctor and coordinator are saying they are seeing higher rates of side effects in the adjuvant population.  No patient at my husband's site has been able to finish all the doses (trial criteria is very strict on when the infusions must be stopped).  There have been 8 deaths in the ECOG 1609 trial (all in the 10 mg/kg arm).  The 10mg arm was suspended for a period of time due to these deaths but it was re-opened following review of the data (the assumption being the data was positive enough to re-open)  There have been a  higher incidence  (according to the routine updates my husband must sign) of endocrinopathies -and other side effects in both the 3mg/kg and 10mg/kg arms of the trial.

I'm not trying to discourage you in the least.  My husband is so very thankful he had the opportunity to participate in this trial—though glad he was in the 3mg/kg arm given his side effects. Just know that in the adjuvant setting the ratties that have gone before have shown a higher incidence of all side effects (especially endocrinopathies) vs in the metastatic setting.

My husband remains NED 29 months after his first infusion of Ipi

Best,

Kate

mkirkland
                                                                        Participant

Thank you Kate! I definately value your information as well. I am hoping to hear stories of all good and bad. It such a touch decistion to make. I am 32 with two small girls so on one hand I want to do everything I can to make sure this disease doesn't come back but at the same time – is it worth the side effects to take certain drugs knowing it might possibly not come back.

mkirkland
                                                                          Participant

Thank you Kate! I definately value your information as well. I am hoping to hear stories of all good and bad. It such a touch decistion to make. I am 32 with two small girls so on one hand I want to do everything I can to make sure this disease doesn't come back but at the same time – is it worth the side effects to take certain drugs knowing it might possibly not come back.

Gene_S
                                                                            Participant

My husband was  a Stage IIIb at his initial diagnosis in Jan 2008 and after several surgeries advanced to Stage IV with a unresectable tumor pressing on the spine at C1-2 area, liver mets, lung mets and 4 or 5 sub q's in Oct. 2010.  He began the IPI 10mg/kg in Mar. 2011.  He had the original 4 doses every 3 weeks for 12 weeks and then went into the maintenance phase of once every 12 weeks.  He was also given GMCSF daily self injections 14 days on 7 days off for the full time.  We literally watched the sub q's disappear as we took pictures every 3 weeks just before his IPI infusions.

He had some side effects but mostly minor and easy to handle.  He remained on the IPI and GMCSF until Dec. 2013 when he went off and is just followed by  his onc.  He has been 3 years NED.  If you would like to read more about him you can read his profile.

Judy (loving wife to Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 3 years.)

Gene_S
                                                                              Participant

My husband was  a Stage IIIb at his initial diagnosis in Jan 2008 and after several surgeries advanced to Stage IV with a unresectable tumor pressing on the spine at C1-2 area, liver mets, lung mets and 4 or 5 sub q's in Oct. 2010.  He began the IPI 10mg/kg in Mar. 2011.  He had the original 4 doses every 3 weeks for 12 weeks and then went into the maintenance phase of once every 12 weeks.  He was also given GMCSF daily self injections 14 days on 7 days off for the full time.  We literally watched the sub q's disappear as we took pictures every 3 weeks just before his IPI infusions.

He had some side effects but mostly minor and easy to handle.  He remained on the IPI and GMCSF until Dec. 2013 when he went off and is just followed by  his onc.  He has been 3 years NED.  If you would like to read more about him you can read his profile.

Gene_S
                                                                                Participant

mkirkland
                                                                                  Participant

jogo
                                                                                    Participant

I am in the same clinical trial, ECOG 1609.  I was also randomized into arm C, 3 mg ipi/Kg.   My infusions were stopped after the second infusion due to 3/4 adverse events:  severe colitis which involved administrating 9 units of blood, adrenal insufficinecy due to the high doses of steriods that were administered, and orthostatic hypotention that had me totally confined to my bed for two weeks.  I was hospitalized for 24 days in the intermediate critical care unit of the hospital. I had two infusions of infleximab to deal with the colitis.  I was on fludrocortosone and prednisone for several months after my discharge from the hospital.  My endocronologist was very diligent about getting me off the steriods and the corticiods.  It took almost a year to do that. My synthroid was increased from 0.050 mg [before the trial] to 0.075 mg. 

As part of trial ECOG 1609, I now go for blood work and CT Scans and see the oncologist every 6 months; Once a year, I see the endocronologist, gastroenterologist, oncodermatologist, and the [ENT] head and neck surgeon who performed a total left parotidectomy and radical dissection of the lymph glands on the left side of my neck.  I see my [regular] dermatologist every forth;and eighth month (the oncodermatologist every 12th month). 

I am very glad that I am participant in the Ipi vs Interferon Adjuvant trial and that I was randomized into arm C 3 mg ipi/ kg.  I have been NED 28 months since my last infusion.

jogo
                                                                                      Participant

I am in the same clinical trial, ECOG 1609.  I was also randomized into arm C, 3 mg ipi/Kg.   My infusions were stopped after the second infusion due to 3/4 adverse events:  severe colitis which involved administrating 9 units of blood, adrenal insufficinecy due to the high doses of steriods that were administered, and orthostatic hypotention that had me totally confined to my bed for two weeks.  I was hospitalized for 24 days in the intermediate critical care unit of the hospital. I had two infusions of infleximab to deal with the colitis.  I was on fludrocortosone and prednisone for several months after my discharge from the hospital.  My endocronologist was very diligent about getting me off the steriods and the corticiods.  It took almost a year to do that. My synthroid was increased from 0.050 mg [before the trial] to 0.075 mg. 

As part of trial ECOG 1609, I now go for blood work and CT Scans and see the oncologist every 6 months; Once a year, I see the endocronologist, gastroenterologist, oncodermatologist, and the [ENT] head and neck surgeon who performed a total left parotidectomy and radical dissection of the lymph glands on the left side of my neck.  I see my [regular] dermatologist every forth;and eighth month (the oncodermatologist every 12th month). 

I am very glad that I am participant in the Ipi vs Interferon Adjuvant trial and that I was randomized into arm C 3 mg ipi/ kg.  I have been NED 28 months since my last infusion.

jogo
                                                                                        Participant

jogo
                                                                                          Participant

jogo
                                                                                            Participant

jogo
                                                                                              Participant

katie1
                                                                                              Participant

HI

My husband is a participant in the Ipi vs Interferon Adjuvant trial.  In this trial there are two Ipi doses (3mg/kg and 10mg/kg)–ECOG 1609.  My husband (Stage IIIC-T4bN2cM0) is in the 3mg/kg arm.  He began the trial in the early Summer of 2013.  He had to stop infusions after 4 doses due to Grade 3/4 side effects.  This trial includes 4 maintenance doses every 3 months following the initial 4 induction infusions (every 3 weeks).  My husband had lots of side effects which were Grade 1 or 2 (itching, rashes, ocular, minor diarrhea etc).  He developed hypophysitis following his 4th infusion.  It's a long and complicated story but he is now steroid dependent but stable. He worked throughout the treatments (except when he was hospitalized for an adrenal crisis)

Something to note from the trial Celeste posted:  52% of patients in that trial had to stop the infusions due to side effects.  Celeste has great info on her blog.

Our trial doctor and coordinator are saying they are seeing higher rates of side effects in the adjuvant population.  No patient at my husband's site has been able to finish all the doses (trial criteria is very strict on when the infusions must be stopped).  There have been 8 deaths in the ECOG 1609 trial (all in the 10 mg/kg arm).  The 10mg arm was suspended for a period of time due to these deaths but it was re-opened following review of the data (the assumption being the data was positive enough to re-open)  There have been a  higher incidence  (according to the routine updates my husband must sign) of endocrinopathies -and other side effects in both the 3mg/kg and 10mg/kg arms of the trial.

I'm not trying to discourage you in the least.  My husband is so very thankful he had the opportunity to participate in this trial—though glad he was in the 3mg/kg arm given his side effects. Just know that in the adjuvant setting the ratties that have gone before have shown a higher incidence of all side effects (especially endocrinopathies) vs in the metastatic setting.

Best,

Kate

katie1
                                                                                                Participant

HI

Best,

Kate

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics