The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Year for Hope

Forums Caregiver Community Year for Hope

Participant

Hello all

I have been checking the board frequently but rarely see anyone around to chat with lately.

Anyway, I hope that this year is the year that the researchers connect all the dots and we can start talking about either curing melanoma or downgrading it to a chronic disease, but no longer life threatening for most people.

I still work and I am involved in building a cat litter plant so my 3 cats should be happy.  My family, threw me a surprise 60 b-day party back in November.

Hello all

I have been checking the board frequently but rarely see anyone around to chat with lately.

Anyway, I hope that this year is the year that the researchers connect all the dots and we can start talking about either curing melanoma or downgrading it to a chronic disease, but no longer life threatening for most people.

I still work and I am involved in building a cat litter plant so my 3 cats should be happy.  My family, threw me a surprise 60 b-day party back in November.

I am due for another checkup in May as I am now 6 plus years out from my stage 3B diagnosis.  Still have Lymphedema in my right arm and some external radiation scars but in pretty good shape, other than my knees (arthritis).  I still take an assortment of supplements as well

If I had to get this cancer, I am honored to among all of you, those we lost and mourn , those fighting with active disease, those like me in a holding state, the newly daignosed, and all the caregivers and doctors and nurses that are on our side.

Happy New Year

Mike from NJ

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

Happy 2011, Mike!  It's good to see you post.  I remember when we were first diagnosed many years ago.  We spent many hours in chat back then.

Stay Strong
          King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

mike_nj
            Participant

Hi King, 

Your battles and example have lefted me up as well as many others here at mpip.

Have a great 2011 and maybe see you in chat

Mike K

mike_nj
              Participant

Hi King, 

Mike K

mike_nj
                Participant

Hi King, 

Mike K

mike_nj
                  Participant

Hi King, 

Mike K

King
                  Participant

Happy 2011, Mike!  It's good to see you post.  I remember when we were first diagnosed many years ago.  We spent many hours in chat back then.

Stay Strong
                    King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

Springbok
                    Participant

Mike,

You raise a good point. The longer we stay alive , the better our chances of staying even longer alive. Medical research is lurching ahead, not very quickly and not very directly, but progress is being made.

My quibble with the reaearch is that it seems to be wholly centred on the chemical warfare appoach. Perhaps not surprising since Big Pharma is bankrolling most of this work.

I would have like to have seen more research on the causes of the disease and the effects of nutrition, stress, heredity, hormone levels etc.

Regards

springbok

mike_nj
                        Participant

Hi Springbok

I spent years as a process engineer in a few major pharma companies. Things were way too slow back then when I was healthy and even slower to me now after the Dx.

Unfortunately, everything as you said,  is and was about making money and all decisions are based on possible returns on investment, not whether or not a few lives could be saved from melanoma.  If left up to the researchers alone, we would most likely be way ahead of where we are now but the conservatism of the FDA, the huge cost to invest in an experimental drug, and opportunistic trial lawyers awaiting a mistake, all add up to a path for very slow progress down to very small steps.

I wish there was a better way.

mike_nj
                          Participant

Hi Springbok

I spent years as a process engineer in a few major pharma companies. Things were way too slow back then when I was healthy and even slower to me now after the Dx.

Unfortunately, everything as you said,  is and was about making money and all decisions are based on possible returns on investment, not whether or not a few lives could be saved from melanoma.  If left up to the researchers alone, we would most likely be way ahead of where we are now but the conservatism of the FDA, the huge cost to invest in an experimental drug, and opportunistic trial lawyers awaiting a mistake, all add up to a path for very slow progress down to very small steps.

I wish there was a better way.

Springbok
                          Participant

Mike,

You raise a good point. The longer we stay alive , the better our chances of staying even longer alive. Medical research is lurching ahead, not very quickly and not very directly, but progress is being made.

My quibble with the reaearch is that it seems to be wholly centred on the chemical warfare appoach. Perhaps not surprising since Big Pharma is bankrolling most of this work.

I would have like to have seen more research on the causes of the disease and the effects of nutrition, stress, heredity, hormone levels etc.

Regards

springbok

JakeinNY
                            Participant

Congratulations Mike.

6 years is fantastic. Keep treating your body and mind well and live until 90+.

Also, please keep posting on your anniversary, at the very minimum.

I'm stage 3, 3 years NED and I will do the same.

Let us all in on what your diet and lifestyle is like.

mike_nj
                                Participant

Hi Jake,

In 2004 when I discovered the big lump in my axiilla (I did not connect the dots quickly!), I went in for surgery, radaition, and a vaccinre trial called mel43 in Pittsburgh.  I tried effexor for depression but it did little and I stopped after a few months and just forged ahead best I could.  My refuge was working as an engineer and I kept a normal schedule at work and Church and faith in God was essential.

My lifestyle has changed since the diagnosis as I have not jogged as much but I try when my knees feel good. I also eat alot of Broccoli and Asparagus, and berries (blueberry raspberry). I am trying to self teach myself electric guitar and I want to learn a few Lou Reed tunes

I take celebrex for the arthritis and supplements include curcumin with bioperine, AHCC, IP6 w Inositol & CatsClaw, various mushroom products, Pau D' Arco; Suma, COQ10, and the Dr Rath combination (Green Tea Extract ,Proline Lysine, Vitamin C).  There may be a few others. I have no clue if this costly assortment is doing anything, other than creating expensive urine but I am afraid to quit now.

Good luck as you go forward

Mike K

mike_nj
                                  Participant

Hi Jake,

In 2004 when I discovered the big lump in my axiilla (I did not connect the dots quickly!), I went in for surgery, radaition, and a vaccinre trial called mel43 in Pittsburgh.  I tried effexor for depression but it did little and I stopped after a few months and just forged ahead best I could.  My refuge was working as an engineer and I kept a normal schedule at work and Church and faith in God was essential.

My lifestyle has changed since the diagnosis as I have not jogged as much but I try when my knees feel good. I also eat alot of Broccoli and Asparagus, and berries (blueberry raspberry). I am trying to self teach myself electric guitar and I want to learn a few Lou Reed tunes

I take celebrex for the arthritis and supplements include curcumin with bioperine, AHCC, IP6 w Inositol & CatsClaw, various mushroom products, Pau D' Arco; Suma, COQ10, and the Dr Rath combination (Green Tea Extract ,Proline Lysine, Vitamin C).  There may be a few others. I have no clue if this costly assortment is doing anything, other than creating expensive urine but I am afraid to quit now.

Good luck as you go forward

Mike K

JakeinNY
                                  Participant

Congratulations Mike.

6 years is fantastic. Keep treating your body and mind well and live until 90+.

Also, please keep posting on your anniversary, at the very minimum.

I'm stage 3, 3 years NED and I will do the same.

Let us all in on what your diet and lifestyle is like.

DebbieH
                                    Participant

Happy New Year, Mike!

I'm hoping for new melanoma treatments this year, as I always do!   Glad to see you've been off enjoying your life.  The surprise party sounds like fun – good for you!  Maybe we can meet up in chat sometime soon – it's been awhile since there's been a crowd in there.  Take care and I hope 2001 is good to you.

Deb

DebbieH
                                      Participant

Happy New Year, Mike!

I'm hoping for new melanoma treatments this year, as I always do!   Glad to see you've been off enjoying your life.  The surprise party sounds like fun – good for you!  Maybe we can meet up in chat sometime soon – it's been awhile since there's been a crowd in there.  Take care and I hope 2001 is good to you.

Deb

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

I read  an article about melanoma and treatment that may make it a chronic disease…sounds good to me!! While we would all like to be cancer free…chronic disease is something most of us would settle for!! Living is good!

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

I read  an article about melanoma and treatment that may make it a chronic disease…sounds good to me!! While we would all like to be cancer free…chronic disease is something most of us would settle for!! Living is good!

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

Happy New Year Mike, stay NED!

dian

dian in spokane
                                              Participant

Happy New Year Mike, stay NED!

dian

Viewing 11 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics