The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Xgeva side effect?

Forums General Melanoma Community Xgeva side effect?

Participant

My husband started Xvega last Monday, he seemed fine the 1st 2 days, but around Wednesday, he started feeling very tired and weak. The last 2 days he has not been able to get out of bed, just very tired and very weak. Prior to Xgeva, he was actually feeling much better and with the radiation to his back & sacrum,  he felt the pain was much more manageable.

I read that tiredness and weakness are side effects of Xvega, has anyone experienced the same thing? Is this temporary? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

I've been on Xgeva since February. I have not had that side affect. Actually except for a minor numbness in my upper right jaw I have noticed no side affects. The x-ray and CT showed nothing wrong though.

However July of last year I had just 1 dose of the stronger version called Zometa. Within a few hours I was in bed and could hardly move. Also for 3 days my jaw hurt so much I couldn't chew. Mom had to grind everything up. After about 3 days though my jaw was better and I could be up and about. Not feeling great but better. I did have to keep going to the bathroom though for about 2 weeks. Suprisingly I did notice within a day my bones did not hurt like they did before the medicine. So after about 2 weeks I was back to where I was before the medicine with steadily getting better after the 3rd day. But that was Zometa.

arthurjedi007
          Participant

I've been on Xgeva since February. I have not had that side affect. Actually except for a minor numbness in my upper right jaw I have noticed no side affects. The x-ray and CT showed nothing wrong though.

However July of last year I had just 1 dose of the stronger version called Zometa. Within a few hours I was in bed and could hardly move. Also for 3 days my jaw hurt so much I couldn't chew. Mom had to grind everything up. After about 3 days though my jaw was better and I could be up and about. Not feeling great but better. I did have to keep going to the bathroom though for about 2 weeks. Suprisingly I did notice within a day my bones did not hurt like they did before the medicine. So after about 2 weeks I was back to where I was before the medicine with steadily getting better after the 3rd day. But that was Zometa.

melfighter
              Participant

Thanks Arthur. MY husband thinks it could be from Xgeva or the radiation.  He just finished a 3 weeks (daily) radiation treatment for his lower back & sacrum,  he said he is better today, but still too weak to walk and when he tries, he is very unstable and wobbly. So hard for me to see him this way. He has been on the combo since Feb this year, tomorrow he goes in for scans. The last scans showed progression in the bones, judging from how he is now, I don't have high hopes that the bones scans would be good. Hope I am wrong. 

melfighter
                Participant

Thanks Arthur. MY husband thinks it could be from Xgeva or the radiation.  He just finished a 3 weeks (daily) radiation treatment for his lower back & sacrum,  he said he is better today, but still too weak to walk and when he tries, he is very unstable and wobbly. So hard for me to see him this way. He has been on the combo since Feb this year, tomorrow he goes in for scans. The last scans showed progression in the bones, judging from how he is now, I don't have high hopes that the bones scans would be good. Hope I am wrong. 

melfighter
                  Participant

tschmith
                    Participant

I would report these symptoms to your doctor to be on the safe side.  I am no longer on Xgeva because I'm participating in Merck's EAP and my doctor did not want me taking Xgeva while on an Pembro.  However, when I first began Xgeva, I had flu-like symptoms for a few days after the injection.  I didn't have any problems after about three months and I feel Xgeva really helped me.  

Best wishes to you!  Terrie

tschmith
                      Participant

I would report these symptoms to your doctor to be on the safe side.  I am no longer on Xgeva because I'm participating in Merck's EAP and my doctor did not want me taking Xgeva while on an Pembro.  However, when I first began Xgeva, I had flu-like symptoms for a few days after the injection.  I didn't have any problems after about three months and I feel Xgeva really helped me.  

melfighter
                        Participant

Thanks Terrie. The doctor said not sure what is causing the symptoms,  we are waiting for the scans to know. Will update everyone when we have the results from the scans. Thanks for helping. 

melfighter
                          Participant

Thanks Terrie. The doctor said not sure what is causing the symptoms,  we are waiting for the scans to know. Will update everyone when we have the results from the scans. Thanks for helping. 

melfighter
                            Participant

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Terrie. I don't mean to interrupt this thread but since it is also about Xgeva. Terrie do you know the reasoning why your doctor did not want you on Xgeva while on Pembro? I too am on Merck's EAP and my doctor said I can stay on Xgeva so I have. He did have to check with whoever and they said since the Xgeva purpose was to treat potential fractures not the cancer it was ok to continue with Xgeva while on Pembro. I dunno if Xgeva is doing anything for me but I started it in February and I haven't lost any more height since so I guess it or something must be working right.

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Terrie. I don't mean to interrupt this thread but since it is also about Xgeva. Terrie do you know the reasoning why your doctor did not want you on Xgeva while on Pembro? I too am on Merck's EAP and my doctor said I can stay on Xgeva so I have. He did have to check with whoever and they said since the Xgeva purpose was to treat potential fractures not the cancer it was ok to continue with Xgeva while on Pembro. I dunno if Xgeva is doing anything for me but I started it in February and I haven't lost any more height since so I guess it or something must be working right.

tschmith
                                  Participant

Arthur…Honestly, I'm not really sure I understood why he didn't want me to be on Xgeva although I think he basically said something to the effect that it might interfere with the action of the immunotherapy.  I was in a trial something like TIL at NIH in March and April, and they also preferred that I not use Xgeva. My current doctor, said "Let's try to treat the cancer with MK3475."  My L2 is fractured.  I also have some problems with melanoma in my hip.  I really thought the Xgeva was helping.  I'll try to remember to get clarification at my next appointment. 

tschmith
                                    Participant

Arthur…Honestly, I'm not really sure I understood why he didn't want me to be on Xgeva although I think he basically said something to the effect that it might interfere with the action of the immunotherapy.  I was in a trial something like TIL at NIH in March and April, and they also preferred that I not use Xgeva. My current doctor, said "Let's try to treat the cancer with MK3475."  My L2 is fractured.  I also have some problems with melanoma in my hip.  I really thought the Xgeva was helping.  I'll try to remember to get clarification at my next appointment. 

tschmith
                                      Participant

melfighter
                                        Participant

My husband after the scans have checked into the hospital, he is now unable to walk. He was walking fine just last week!  His local oncologist doesn't think it is Xgeva, she feels it is the cancer. I am sure we will talk to his doctor from UCLA tomorrow morning. I am very sad to see him suffer like this, he has endured so much pain since this January,  but never heard him complain even once. I am still hoping they will tell us tomorrow that  it is all just a temporary side effect, which will go away in due course.

melfighter
                                          Participant

My husband after the scans have checked into the hospital, he is now unable to walk. He was walking fine just last week!  His local oncologist doesn't think it is Xgeva, she feels it is the cancer. I am sure we will talk to his doctor from UCLA tomorrow morning. I am very sad to see him suffer like this, he has endured so much pain since this January,  but never heard him complain even once. I am still hoping they will tell us tomorrow that  it is all just a temporary side effect, which will go away in due course.

melfighter
                                            Participant

arthurjedi007
                                              Participant

tschmith
                                                Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                Participant

rick1981
                                                  Participant

Hi all,

My wife has taken Xgeva along with Pembro for her first two PD1 infusions. This time however there was 1 week between the treatment.

She was OK on Pembro (and brain radiation) but one day after the Xgeva the pains returned and in more places than where she has bone mets. So in her case it seems the Xgeva causes some of the pain – which is a good thing because we were afraid it were the tumors!

Rick

rick1981
                                                    Participant

Hi all,

My wife has taken Xgeva along with Pembro for her first two PD1 infusions. This time however there was 1 week between the treatment.

She was OK on Pembro (and brain radiation) but one day after the Xgeva the pains returned and in more places than where she has bone mets. So in her case it seems the Xgeva causes some of the pain – which is a good thing because we were afraid it were the tumors!

Rick

rick1981
                                                      Participant

Hi all,

Rick

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics