The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

wound care?

Forums General Melanoma Community wound care?

Participant

So my husband had a SNB more than a month ago, and it has become infected.  He had a fever all weekend and the area was really red.  He FINALLY went to a doctor today and they opened it up, cleaned it out, and now we have to "pack the wound" until it heals inside??  Luckily I'm not too squeamish with this kind of stuff, but hopefully they send good directions home with him.  He didn't even call to tell me he went in for surgery until after it was done!  Has anyone had to do this, and if so, do you have any tips?  I've read that it ca

So my husband had a SNB more than a month ago, and it has become infected.  He had a fever all weekend and the area was really red.  He FINALLY went to a doctor today and they opened it up, cleaned it out, and now we have to "pack the wound" until it heals inside??  Luckily I'm not too squeamish with this kind of stuff, but hopefully they send good directions home with him.  He didn't even call to tell me he went in for surgery until after it was done!  Has anyone had to do this, and if so, do you have any tips?  I've read that it can be pretty painful. 

Thanks so much!

Akilyn

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ChrisB
        Participant

I was pretty freaked when I first learned I'd have to pack an open wound after basically the same scenario – infection, opened and cleaned out.  Turned out not to be to difficult or problematic.  The biggest hurdle for me was the timing involved since I was unable to pack the wound myself and needed one of my sisters to make the trip over every day for a couple weeks.

My experience with this was about 7 years ago so tips are as limited as my memory….

I believe I needed saline solution, something to squirt the saline into the open area for cleansing, sterile pads and tape or something else to hold the packing in place – since I'm allergic to adhesives and my wound was on my back I chose a tube shaped netting (don't recall the name) that could be cut to size and slipped over my head and around the area.

Not much to it really, once I got over the initial shock of what needed to be done and completed it a time or two.

Best wishes to you and your husband,

Chris

ChrisB
            Participant

Forgot to mention that they had a nurse come out and teach my sister how to do it for the first time.

ChrisB
              Participant

Forgot to mention that they had a nurse come out and teach my sister how to do it for the first time.

bluepeople
                Participant

Thanks for your info.  I did look online to read about it, and I was talking to our sitter about it and she had to do it once for her husband so she was telling me a little about it.  It doesn't sound too bad, she just said it was really stinky 🙁  Everything I read said it is good to squirt it with saline solution to loosen up the gauze, but they didn't give him any of that, can you just buy it at the store??  They also didn't give him any directions so I guess the first time I take it off, I'll just have to pay attention to how they did it, anyways, thank you for your tips! 

bluepeople
                  Participant

Thanks for your info.  I did look online to read about it, and I was talking to our sitter about it and she had to do it once for her husband so she was telling me a little about it.  It doesn't sound too bad, she just said it was really stinky 🙁  Everything I read said it is good to squirt it with saline solution to loosen up the gauze, but they didn't give him any of that, can you just buy it at the store??  They also didn't give him any directions so I guess the first time I take it off, I'll just have to pay attention to how they did it, anyways, thank you for your tips! 

ChrisB
                  Participant

I was pretty freaked when I first learned I'd have to pack an open wound after basically the same scenario – infection, opened and cleaned out.  Turned out not to be to difficult or problematic.  The biggest hurdle for me was the timing involved since I was unable to pack the wound myself and needed one of my sisters to make the trip over every day for a couple weeks.

My experience with this was about 7 years ago so tips are as limited as my memory….

I believe I needed saline solution, something to squirt the saline into the open area for cleansing, sterile pads and tape or something else to hold the packing in place – since I'm allergic to adhesives and my wound was on my back I chose a tube shaped netting (don't recall the name) that could be cut to size and slipped over my head and around the area.

Not much to it really, once I got over the initial shock of what needed to be done and completed it a time or two.

Best wishes to you and your husband,

Chris

MichaelFL
                    Participant

You may wish to go online and read about something called a wound vac. (also called negative pressure wound therapy) Depending on the location, perhaps it can be of assistance to his healing. It creates a vaccum, and antibiotics (or other drugs) may even be applied to assist with healing.

Michael stage 1b

bluepeople
                        Participant

Thanks, I will check it out. 

bluepeople
                          Participant

Thanks, I will check it out. 

MichaelFL
                          Participant

You may wish to go online and read about something called a wound vac. (also called negative pressure wound therapy) Depending on the location, perhaps it can be of assistance to his healing. It creates a vaccum, and antibiotics (or other drugs) may even be applied to assist with healing.

Michael stage 1b

EmilyandMike
                            Participant

Hi Akilyn

I am sorry you are dealing with this!  My husband had no infection even after he had the full lymph node dissection and I thankful for that because unlike you, I am squeemish.  But my husband's father has had to have wounds packed and it is not that big of a deal. 

I am sorry you didnt get my email from earlier in October – something must not be working on the profile area of the board.  Send me an email when you have a moment – I wanted to invite you to an event that we are going to host in Millbrae in December.  [email protected]

Take care,

Emily

bluepeople
                                Participant

Hi,

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a big deal.  He's the kind of guy you need to drag to the doctor, so he probably should have gone to the doctor much sooner because I think it had been infected for a little while, but at least he went and he's getting it taken care of. 

I just sent you a note.  Thanks

Akilyn

bluepeople
                                  Participant

Hi,

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a big deal.  He's the kind of guy you need to drag to the doctor, so he probably should have gone to the doctor much sooner because I think it had been infected for a little while, but at least he went and he's getting it taken care of. 

I just sent you a note.  Thanks

Akilyn

EmilyandMike
                                  Participant

Hi Akilyn

I am sorry you are dealing with this!  My husband had no infection even after he had the full lymph node dissection and I thankful for that because unlike you, I am squeemish.  But my husband's father has had to have wounds packed and it is not that big of a deal. 

I am sorry you didnt get my email from earlier in October – something must not be working on the profile area of the board.  Send me an email when you have a moment – I wanted to invite you to an event that we are going to host in Millbrae in December.  [email protected]

Take care,

Emily

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics