The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried need a little rational thinking

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Worried need a little rational thinking

Participant

I have had stage 1 a Mel a year ago. I worry a lot about bumps and moles but the anxiety gets a little better. I have a bump very small on my scalp and it's not red or growing. My husband checks my scalp often and says he doesn't even see it unless I make it red. I have been able to sort of scratch it off but I have really dry scalp anyways. It will bleed if I really scratch hard. I know I shouldn't but I thought it was a pimple or ingrown hair type thing. Now in saying all this my husband has told me that I was worried about it before my last apt in Feburary and my derm who checks me well didn't notice anything. Apparently I wasn't worried enough to ask at the time. My main worry is nodular melenoma and I'm pretty sure that wouldnt scratch off easy and it would be growing bigger fast which this hasn't. I've really had bumps or pimples on my scalp before and didn't think about it because I knew she was checking me and they didn't have characteristics but now I'm going into worry mode. Any help would be appreciated. I've read about sebacious cysts as well which I lean towards considering the time it's been there and how oily my scalp is there. Thanks for listening! This site has helped me a lot over this journey and I pray for anyone affected.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Marksa2570
        Participant

Hello…, I am a recent 1A too and share many of your same anxietys and concerns.    Someone else on here can share with you more about nodular melanoma but I agree with you – I think it grows fast.     You probably shouldn't be picking at stuff either   🙂    

If you are in the US, you should be getting checkups every 3 months and if your last appt was Feb, you should be due for one soon.   I keep a running list of all suspicious things and show it to my derm.     

Try to remember… most people only have one primary and as a 1A, we have a low recurrence rate.  My family has a history of multiple primaries and other concerns so I stay vigilant. 

My prayers are with you and everyone on here.

D1983j
            Participant

I'm going tomorrow to have it looked at. I'm worried sick because the nurse said he would probably sample it. I guess they knew I was worried or they are concerned. I hate biopsies and the worry. Anyone else with feedback I would appreciate. 

Marksa2570
              Participant

Hi… what did the derm say?

D1983j
                Participant

He said that I could wait two weeks and let it heal so he could see it better or have a biopsy. He wasn't too concerned and he said everything I described sounded good. I told him to go ahead and test it which I hate but I would worry. I believe he would have not given me a choice if he was super concerned. 

D1983j
                  Participant

He said that I could wait two weeks and let it heal so he could see it better or have a biopsy. He wasn't too concerned and he said everything I described sounded good. I told him to go ahead and test it which I hate but I would worry. I believe he would have not given me a choice if he was super concerned. 

raun cesar
                  Participant

I can relate to the anxiety you are facing, its still unknown what sparks the growth rate. Keep track of every thing. Hope things will change positively for you and for all others here 

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics